GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MkV wheel/tire fitment guide

DerekH

Ready to race!
16 inch rpf1's will probably fit. There is a fair amount of space around my 17s. They will probably look a little weird but if that is what you are going for it would work. I do like the look of a 17 with a fat tire. so a 16 with a fat drag tire may be a good look if done properly.

totoro

Ok guys i got the eibach sportline springs on my car now, wheels are the next. Will i be without any rub on 18x7.5 et 38 with 225/40 or maybe 215/40? How about et 35,is it even possible without any mods?
What are the most et numbers to run with 18/17x7.0 without rubbing for example? Is the et 45 the max only with 8.0-8.5?

07emkayvee

Slappin' Da Bass Mon!
Car(s)
07 gti
those CCW's in the classifieds?

yea no...not really sure how he even pulled them off

lol yeah those. the most agressive ive ran in the rear was 17x10 +30 and those were maybe an erect nippl away from my strut

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
lol yeah those. the most agressive ive ran in the rear was 17x10 +30 and those were maybe an erect nippl away from my strut

yeah. you're not going to have to worry about hitting the strut in the rear when running lower offsets. the lower the offset, the further the wheel is being pushed towards the fender

Well interesting thread. For me I wanted to go up in Side wall eg 60 or 65 series. Why ? Cos outback Australia has sucky roads, bumpy, cattle grids, and holes in the tarmac are many.

So the standard 225/45 17's are too harsh (ok for town duty's). And I've always wanted a 'touring' rim set. A few weeks ago I found a guy selling 4 '98 passat rims, 7" x 16". I could mount 215/60 16's (I pick Yokohama Geolander AT's and be about 20mm taller in dia. No not a race track tyre, but great for touring duty's and light gravel road work (yeah I live outback!).

No scraping or rubbing, Speedo is now only 2 kms low (ie at 100kmh its via GPS now 98).

jad413

Ready to race!
Well interesting thread. For me I wanted to go up in Side wall eg 60 or 65 series. Why ? Cos outback Australia has sucky roads, bumpy, cattle grids, and holes in the tarmac are many.

So the standard 225/45 17's are too harsh (ok for town duty's). And I've always wanted a 'touring' rim set. A few weeks ago I found a guy selling 4 '98 passat rims, 7" x 16". I could mount 215/60 16's (I pick Yokohama Geolander AT's and be about 20mm taller in dia. No not a race track tyre, but great for touring duty's and light gravel road work (yeah I live outback!).

No scraping or rubbing, Speedo is now only 2 kms low (ie at 100kmh its via GPS now 98).

Neat to see a MKV from down under! I use 16" Audi A4 wheels here in the winter with 205/50/16 snow tires on them. Cuts through just about anything.

Sent from my iPhone

Schain

I got a pretty simple question that isn't about fitment but more about installation of new wheels on my 09 Rabbit.

I'm getting a good deal on some 17x8 Motegi Traklite +40 wheels (5x112) and it's not coming with hubcentric rings, aftermarket lugnets, or the TPMS censors.

Should I pick any of these up before going to the tire shop to install it or will it be fine reusing or going without hubcentric rings?

Thanks!

DerekH

Ready to race!
It is likely that the shop you are going to will have any of the hardware you will need. If the hub bore on the wheels is too large you will need hub rings to mount them or you will have a vibration. if the seat on the wheels is a cone seat and you are running stock wheels you will need new lug bolts to mount them safely.