GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV vs. e36 m3 4dr

cdwalls

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
I was cruising around town the other night and came up to a pristine e36 m3 four door at a stop light. He looked at me and revved his engine a little bit, probably up to 4 grand. So what did I do? Told him to grow up, just kidding I returned the rev. When the light turned green we both kinda started on the throttle but not hammering down, then we both realized it was going to happen so then we floored it. We went to the next light which was probably a block and a half away but in that time I got a nice lead on him. (I would say the front of his car was at the rear of mine.) I could hear he had a manual transmission as do I, but i'm not sure how I was able to lead him. Are those low in torque? I assume since I was right around boost when we floored it was the reason I pulled ahead. He did have another passenger in his car though.
When we pulled up to the next light he game me a :thumbsup:
Here is exactly what it looked like.
Plate said "Clean M"

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Yup, you must be like 80 lbft more if you're tuned, you got all of it available a lot sooner and on top of that you are a little lighter. But his 285 hp isn't exactly staggering either. Would be nice to know if he was stock, also what are your mods?

Edit: crossed my mind it could've been handicapped in the US but I never thought as much as 240 hp? If that's true, just wow..

Last edited:

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
Yup, you must be like 80 lbft more if you're tuned, you got all of it available a lot sooner and on top of that you are a little lighter. But his 285 hp isn't exactly staggering either. Would be nice to know if he was stock, also what are your mods?

Edit: crossed my mind it could've been handicapped in the US but I never thought as much as 240 hp? If that's true, just wow..

Yah the US E36 M3's only have 240hp not the 310hp+- you guys have over seas. :cool:

westerbee

Ready to race!
I think they also have quite a bit less area under the power/torque curve. Amazing cars, but not too fast in a straight line.

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
The E36 had a 3.0 or 3.2 worked over engine out of the 328 for the United States. They are not fast by todays standards, but a helluva lot of fun to drive for not that much.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
The E36 had a 3.0 or 3.2 worked over engine out of the 328 for the United States. They are not fast by todays standards, but a helluva lot of fun to drive for not that much.

This. I have said it before and will always say it, the US M3's aren't real M3's :biggrin: Just a bored out 328 with an LSD.. And lots of sexy badges.

TSiUG

sleeper...
This. I have said it before and will always say it, the US M3's aren't real M3's :biggrin: Just a bored out 328 with an LSD.. And lots of sexy badges.

I would still rock a clean one though :biggrin:

Ronan1

Ready to race!
I had a 1996 M3 Coupe, and I swear it was faster than the GTI. It had serious pull off the line, it would just launch. It 'only' has 240hp, and had a similar torque figure but it weighed around 3000lbs (non sunroof model).

Lots of those sedans are autos, and they are lil bit slower. Nice win all the same! :)

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
They do amazing things with only 240hp though. I drove an M coupe with that motor and it felt like a lot more power than the numbers would suggest. They are plenty torquey, too. These M3s aren't all that slow, either. With a manual they typically tested between 13.9 and 14.1 at around 99mph. Not too shabby for back in the day. A Stage 2 GTI should be able to beat them at least from a roll, but they still move pretty well.

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Honestly an E30 with a S50 or S52 swap could be in my future.

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
I have seen it done in E36s but it is not often found in an E30.

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
US spec e36 m3's are lacking majorly in the power department even with a ton of bolt ons.

They do handle amazingly though.

Not sure how my e46 m3 would stack against a modded gti. I haven't had the chance to run anyone. But boost feels way different than n/a that's for sure.

Carfantiti

Ready to race!
I owned a dinan sc 1997 e36 m3.
Had about 380 hp with all my mods.stock only 240 hp the 3.2 has more torque same hp as 3.0.I have driven 3 e30 swapped s50 and s52 cars not bad my e36 was still faster.I love my gti its stock minus cut off muffler .I would not say its very fast just super fun too drive.
My 1988 e30 m3 when stock is 197 hp so 200 hp is not very impressive .
I do plan to do catted down pipe , and stage2 tune someday.Even at that it still will be slower than my 335i.
that said my next dream cars are the 2011 1m and the 2014 Vw R.
I love to put in the cams I have sitting in my garage for my e30 m3 schrick 284/276
Should be getting 240-260 hp when tuned right!