GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV vs. e36 m3 4dr

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
This. I have said it before and will always say it, the US M3's aren't real M3's :biggrin: Just a bored out 328 with an LSD.. And lots of sexy badges.

That changed with the e46

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
The e36 is the ONLY US M that's not a real M. That's because BMW never intended to offer it in America to begin with. Remember those were during the years NOBODY imported shit worthwhile to America while the rest of the world was getting all sorts of early Evos, Turbo Imprezas, VR6 4motion Golfs etc thinking we wouldn't pay the cost of admission (boy were they wrong). US e30 was definitely a pure M (purest of them all) and every M after the e36 is a significant upgrade from any other 3 series.

Carfantiti

Ready to race!
My opinion is this bmw e30 m3 homoglation built first as a race car to race in dtm .
After that e36 m3 and than just down hill more and more.e46 m3 even knowing great motor it is to heavy a car.The bmw 1m is more on track minus the turbo.if the 1m was was a 4 cylinder putting out 280 hp or a 6 non forced induction putting out 340 hp it would be great.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
My opinion is this bmw e30 m3 homoglation built first as a race car to race in dtm .
After that e36 m3 and than just down hill more and more.e46 m3 even knowing great motor it is to heavy a car.The bmw 1m is more on track minus the turbo.if the 1m was was a 4 cylinder putting out 280 hp or a 6 non forced induction putting out 340 hp it would be great.
Sorry but not what the bmw purists believe. The e46 is considered by many bmwphiles to be the high point of m3 evolution. It can easily be tuned to a na 400hp.

Carfantiti

Ready to race!
Sorry but not what the bmw purists believe. The e46 is considered by many bmwphiles to be the high point of m3 evolution. It can easily be tuned to a na 400hp.

The e30 m3 was perfection.
The e46 m3 is a great muscle car .
Hp is not what the e30 m3 was all about .I never was a big fan of the e46 .
It weighs 3,450 pounds the e36 was 3,200 and e30 was 2,800.
The e46 m3 is not as nible as e30 or e36.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door

I'd be happy with any of these cars, for different reasons. The E46 would be the one I'd want to daily, the e36 seems like the ideal starting point for an inexpensive track car, and the e30 would be the one I'd mod the buhjeezus out of if I got rich. It's also the one I'd most want to wank to. :thumbsup:

Subie2013

Humble yourself
But the E46 could blow those cars out of the water. Honestly, best M3 ever made all around. Although I'd still take the E30 purely for the old styling and how badass it looked.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
US spec e36 m3's are lacking majorly in the power department even with a ton of bolt ons.

They do handle amazingly though.

Not sure how my e46 m3 would stack against a modded gti. I haven't had the chance to run anyone. But boost feels way different than n/a that's for sure.
Depending on the mods. The E46 would crush anything that wasn't a K04. Stock M3vs a strong k04 the K04 pulls slightly.

When my STI was stock I'd get ass pounded by my friends E46 M3(which is stock). I mean bus lengths. Anything after 80mph wasn't a race at all. Once I went S2 in the STI. From a dig it was pointless. STI with launch control it was game over. From 30mph rolls the STI pulls till about 100mph, then the M3 stalls it out. After 120mph, the M3 starts to creep. But after that I always left off cause that's waaay to fast for me.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
The e30 m3 was iterfection.
It weighs 3,450 pounds the e36 was 3,200 and the e30 was 2,800.

Just because it weighs more doesn't mean it doesn't handle better, and its nowhere close to being a muscle car rofl. The suspension refinements alone made to the e46 made it a superior track vehicle compared to the e36. Just looking at numbers and a 200lb weight difference means nothing in this case. Twitchy more "nimble" feeling doesn't always mean better handling. I will go grab an Audi b5 s4 avant which weighs 3800lbs and decimate both e36 and e46 around a track in stock form as it did time after time in magazines and real life. Miss having one of them but not the repair bill from one.

Carfantiti

Ready to race!
I know guys like the e46 and it gets great reviews.I never drove in one might be one my problems.I just did not like the look of it much either.I have been to bimmerfest many times and seen the moded e46m3.I guess one my turn offs was it seemed to become one the asian tunner cars.nothing against asians but it was there civic,supra,Acura ect.
The e36 m3 never got the love it deserved .my e36 m3 was faster than a stock e46m3 .
For me I take a e30m3 or 335i which I own both ,a 135is really is the bomb not sure why it is not talked about more.The 1m is really on track I know that top gear said the e92 m3 is more m car.If only they do the 1m again and make it have boxed fender flares and naturally aspirated 4 cylinder putting out 280 hp keep the weight under 3000 lbs.50/50 weight distribution ,coil over suspension we would have one badass car!

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
I know guys like the e46 and it gets great reviews.I never drove in one might be one my problems.I just did not like the look of it much either.I have been to bimmerfest many times and seen the moded e46m3.I guess one my turn offs was it seemed to become one the asian tunner cars.nothing against asians but it was there civic,supra,Acura ect.
The e36 m3 never got the love it deserved .my e36 m3 was faster than a stock e46m3 .
For me I take a e30m3 or 335i which I own both ,a 135is really is the bomb not sure why it is not talked about more.The 1m is really on track I know that top gear said the e92 m3 is more m car.If only they do the 1m again and make it have boxed fender flares and naturally aspirated 4 cylinder putting out 280 hp keep the weight under 3000 lbs.50/50 weight distribution ,coil over suspension we would have one badass car!

You cant make valid comparisons when you havent even driven in one more or less driven one. The 135/m is a heavy uncommunicative pig with heavy steering and odd proportions and is really nothing special. Most car mags feel its nothing more then a badge engineered m car strictly for sales. Nothing wrong with that but for the money the TTRS is a much more competent and visceral vehicle. Btw the car your talking about under 3000lbs ect is already made by porsche fyi.

Carfantiti

Ready to race!
I drove a135i I loved it it reminded me my e30 m3 on steroids.I only drove it a short bit so did not get to put it threw every condition.it seemed very sharp and nimble more so than my 335i and it is very fast feels light.
Id love to have a 135i.I disagree on your view on the 1m love to have that car!

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Now, now. There will be no disagreeing on the internet! ?

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Wait wtf... How can you even hate on an E46 if you have never been in or driven one?

EVERYTHING YOU SAID HAS BEEN INVALID. From here on out, you are pointless...

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Wait wtf... How can you even hate on an E46 if you have never been in or driven one?

EVERYTHING YOU SAID HAS BEEN INVALID. From here on out, you are pointless...

^:thumbup: like i said

Of course a 1series felt lighter and smaller then a 3 because its a smaller car. Its still not all that nimble comparably, especially to say a gti.

Last edited: