GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV Upholstery Fabric Door Cards - LAME

SM08GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone,

I had my headliner replaced, and now it's time for the door cards. Sad, VW did not recall this nightmare. I'm sure you all know!

Anyway I tried gluing, but that was a big mess, worked a bit... I looked on EBAY and found some 'pleather' fake leather precut fabric - thinking this might future proof my MKV.

Does anyone have any experience with fixing their door cards, either themselves, or find a good leather solution for this? Ideally I would love to buy 4 complete leather door cards from another compatible car cheap and put them on if possible.

Many thanks!

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Hey everyone,

I had my headliner replaced, and now it's time for the door cards. Sad, VW did not recall this nightmare. I'm sure you all know!

Anyway I tried gluing, but that was a big mess, worked a bit... I looked on EBAY and found some 'pleather' fake leather precut fabric - thinking this might future proof my MKV.

Does anyone have any experience with fixing their door cards, either themselves, or find a good leather solution for this? Ideally I would love to buy 4 complete leather door cards from another compatible car cheap and put them on if possible.

Many thanks!

Yeah, I'm having the same problem - never fixed my headliner, and it's a mess. Door cards are coming loose as well, but not horrible (not like the headliner). You do realize you can take these things to a local upholsterer, right - assuming you have someone within a reasonable drive? Also, I know a guy on here did a fairly good job, himself, IIRC --- he goes by the screen name "Doc" something... He had a thread where he monitored the maintenance cost (to the penny) of his MKV. If you can find the thread, you should be able to find the page where he covered (no pun intended) the door cards.

SM08GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, I'm having the same problem - never fixed my headliner, and it's a mess. Door cards are coming loose as well, but not horrible (not like the headliner). You do realize you can take these things to a local upholsterer, right - assuming you have someone within a reasonable drive? Also, I know a guy on here did a fairly good job, himself, IIRC --- he goes by the screen name "Doc" something... He had a thread where he monitored the maintenance cost (to the penny) of his MKV. If you can find the thread, you should be able to find the page where he covered (no pun intended) the door cards.
LOL - I dig the pun. Yeah, lame ass glue... dang VW for this! Thanks man!

doc280

Ready to race!
Actually the glue is not the problem, the foam back degrades and lets go. I used some inexpensive headliner material which worked well. Using something like leather is so much out of my skillset. You will need to take the door cards apart, which are held together by some heat welds.