GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV R32 Fuel Lines

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
First off, this is an old picture of my engine bay. And yes, I know it is dirty as F@$&. Just pointless to clean it in my location.

I ran into an issue with vapor lock yesterday and need to heat wrap my fuel lines. I have attached a photo with what I think are the fuel lines. Can anyone tell me if I am correct?

Attachments

• 035-2.jpg
    035-2.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 2,763

PoRsCh3fReAk

PoRsCh3fReAk
Car(s)
Slutty camry
Not sure where they are on the r but if it connects to an aluminum rail under the intake. And a braided line in the back, both via nuts. Then that would be your fuel line

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
U are correct my man, that is ur fuel line!!!

If u need to discontent the line all u need to do is, turn off the car duhh. Lol

Then open gas cap, on the fuel line at the back of the fire wall, these have the same connections as the fuel filter. U have to press in the button on the side of the line while u push the line in and the pull out. Be careful u may have some gas pit out. FYI

Also if u need to remove the entire line then at the other end of the fuel line at the fuel rail under the intake mani. Is a removable clamp. All u have to do is move the clamp around so u can get a pair of pliers around the clamp to pinch the clamp and then pull the fuel line off.

That fuel line so only about 12" long all together.

good Luck Man. :peace:

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
U are correct my man, that is ur fuel line!!!

If u need to discontent the line all u need to do is, turn off the car duhh. Lol

Then open gas cap, on the fuel line at the back of the fire wall, these have the same connections as the fuel filter. U have to press in the button on the side of the line while u push the line in and the pull out. Be careful u may have some gas pit out. FYI

Also if u need to remove the entire line then at the other end of the fuel line at the fuel rail under the intake mani. Is a removable clamp. All u have to do is move the clamp around so u can get a pair of pliers around the clamp to pinch the clamp and then pull the fuel line off.

That fuel line so only about 12" long all together.

good Luck Man. :peace:

Sweet. Thanks for the confirmation. Time to buy some heat wrap so I can wrap the lines. Hopefully that will help since the engine bay is getting way to hot.

I lived in Texas and it is hot but this place is crazy. Thanks again.

Voyles2

Twisty champ
Car(s)
R
I've experienced vapor lock like syptoms before and it ended up being a bad fuel pump. Heck, two replacements had the same problem. My car would just quit running and then start back up. Oh yea, no CEL would come on either.

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
I've experienced vapor lock like syptoms before and it ended up being a bad fuel pump. Heck, two replacements had the same problem. My car would just quit running and then start back up. Oh yea, no CEL would come on either.

Oh ok. I can have that checked as well. But the car has been running fine since the day that the issue occurred. I wasn't getting any errors on the ECU and did not figure on the vapor lock until after I got home. I let the car cool down for a couple of hours, took it for a test drive, and it ran fine.

The same issue happened last summer when it was a pretty hot day. The day that this happened, the temp was registering 115 on the dash of the car. So I think vapor lock was the culprit.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Then open gas cap, on the fuel line at the back of the fire wall, these have the same connections as the fuel filter.

There is a pressure release valve on the fuel rail as well; I would recommend releasing pressure there before removing the line or you'll be tasting fuel for a while :thumbsup:

Voyles2

Twisty champ
Car(s)
R
I thought mine was vapor lock as well. Only happened on very hot days.(summer) Mine did the same thing. As in, alwasy ran fine until it got hot...then it would start to die like the car had no fuel. I got a video somewhere I can find and show you what it did on one highway trip. The dealer had the car for a month to fix it as it would not throw codes and I had to tell them what I thought it was.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
I thought mine was vapor lock as well. Only happened on very hot days.(summer) Mine did the same thing. As in, alwasy ran fine until it got hot...then it would start to die like the car had no fuel. I got a video somewhere I can find and show you what it did on one highway trip. The dealer had the car for a month to fix it as it would not throw codes and I had to tell them what I thought it was.

My GTI does this occasionally when it's really hot as well. Pretty damn scary when it happens!

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
My GTI does this occasionally when it's really hot as well. Pretty damn scary when it happens!

Yeah it is. The first time I had this happen was last year. This time around I had my wife and newborn in the car. People were honking at me to no end while I was trying to make it to VW. I was more worried about the family than anything.

There is a pressure release valve on the fuel rail as well; I would recommend releasing pressure there before removing the line or you'll be tasting fuel for a while :thumbsup:

I will keep that in mind. I am just thinking on heat wrapping the fuel lines to give a little added protection so if it is vapor lock, there is less of a chance that it wil happen.

Oh ok. That is interesting. I will keep it in mind as I go forward. Troubleshooting and repairs in general do not go very well out here. I guess I will see how it goes.

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
Just be aware that heat soak will ultimately go thru insulated lines as well and then take longer to cool so it has to be done right.
The fuel return should keep the vapour lock to a minimum as long as pump is working correctly.
The issue "may" the vent on your fuel cap.

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
yeah. thanks for the insight. I see what you are saying about the heat soak. I have been looking at my options on a wrap but have not decided yet. need to get some other things done before I wrap. I will take a look at the fuel cap. I may just replace anyway.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Yeah it is. The first time I had this happen was last year. This time around I had my wife and newborn in the car. People were honking at me to no end while I was trying to make it to VW. I was more worried about the family than anything.

I will keep that in mind. I am just thinking on heat wrapping the fuel lines to give a little added protection so if it is vapor lock, there is less of a chance that it wil happen.

Oh ok. That is interesting. I will keep it in mind as I go forward. Troubleshooting and repairs in general do not go very well out here. I guess I will see how it goes.

The issue on my GTI is the fuel pump (one in the gas tank) cutting out. Hasn't done it lately though.

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
The issue on my GTI is the fuel pump (one in the gas tank) cutting out. Hasn't done it lately though.

i was actually looking at ECS for a fuel pump. I may go ahead and get it since they have one that comes with a fuel sending unit that needs to be replaced on my car anyway.

I was going to get a fuel sender out here but they was $140 just for the sender where the pump and sender is $240 on ECS. With all the problems on my car, I keep ECS in business. :biggrin: