GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV R32 Build Thread

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
So, some further updates on the car.

It feels amazing. It's starting to feel even better than it did when I first got it back, not sure if that's just from me driving it more, and noticing the differences and what-not more too.

Turn-in is great, the stability in cornering is great. Car is very neutral, but I'm going to be setting the rear sway to Stiff, to have the ass end come out a little bit. It's a little safer, than potential understeer when going into the tight corners with oncoming traffic coming the other way, :lol:

The car sits with about a 1.5~ finger gap. The pictures look a little deceiving, but I guess that also depends on how big/small your fingers are, haha :lol:

Thinking of lowering it a little more, when I get the new wheels on. I'm getting them milled down 6MM, so they'll be 18x8.5 +38 on 225/40/18 Yokohama ADVAN AD08Rs :thumbsup:. Should fit a little nicer!

Here's some quick pictures I snapped today, also updated my Main Build Thread, for some updated photos and what-not :biggrin:

Also included some photos of how the Pro-Clip iOAuto Pro works. It looks great, and it's so nice to use. I can swivel, tilt, and it comes off when I pull it, and it's very very stable. Big :thumbsup: from me for that product!

ProClip iOMounts iOAuto Pro

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Wheels are going to take a little longer before they get mounted.

Will likely be sometime in August. Getting them refinished, to the BBS "DBK/Diamond Black". They had some imperfections on them, and I didn't feel like wasting time taking them off again afterwards.

Tires are being picked up this weekend too, will grab some pictures of that when I get a chance, :thumbsup:

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Paid for my Tires on June 27th!

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R

Cannot wait to get these on my car, and see that beautiful tread pattern everyday, :drool:

Also, Monster Garage notified me that my UM ECU Flash w/ Spark Cut was ready, so I went over on June 28th to get it done.

First impressions?

I've been reading a lot about the UM Tunes. I know it's an N/A Car, and it's typically not expected to do a whole lot. However, I am absolutely blown away at how it's transformed the car.

UM advertises about +15WHP throughout the powerband, and you can definitely feel it. The whole car is definitely stronger, and it feels absolutely great.

If I ranked the ability of the car to push me into the back of my seat when accelerating stock at about 5/10, the car would definitely be at least a 7.5/8 out of 10 now. 10 is reserved for a Turbo, and making 300+WHP, but, this definitely makes a big difference. Much more than I expected.

I'm expecting it to pick up a little bit more when I throw on my Intake/Exhaust in the next little while.

Can't hear the Spark Cut too well with the Stock Exhaust, but that'll change once I throw on my Scorpion Non-Res Exhaust!

Overall, extremely happy with the car right now. I can't wait to get my DSG Flash, since UM has to send a special tool over to read it from the Mechatronic Unit, since my car is 08+. That, coupled with their new Haldex Flash that is soon to be released for the Gen 2 Haldex, will once again transform this car into even more fun!

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Another update on the United Motorsport tune.

Car feels great. I think it might've adapted to feel even better after the initial flash, or maybe that's just my placebo effect.

It definitely pulls really nicely in the Mid-Range, and even a bit better in the higher range.

What I can definitely say, is that car gets better gas mileage, for sure. I'm not sure what UM has done, but it's definitely better.

I used to average about 13L/100KM (18MPG). 50% City, 50% Highway. Though, my city would be a lot of sitting in stop-and-go traffic, which is quite bad for my mileage.

On my last tank, even with hammering it a little, probably about the same 50/50 split again, I'm averaging about 11.5L/100KM (20MPG), and there are stints where I'm averaging 9L/100KM (26 MPG), which is absolutely great on this pig of a car.

I can't wait to see how much better the mileage gets upon cruising with the Haldex Flash, since apparently it manages to disconnect the AWD System when cruising, should see an even nicer little bump! :thumbsup:

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Wheels Refinished!

Picked up my Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08Rs in 225/40/18 on July 19th, 2014

Had them Mounted/Balanced/Installed by Kwai Office later that same day!

Obligatory Fitment Picture! :drool:

Some Final Specs:

18x8.5 +38 on 225/40/18 Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R (Front)
18x8.5 +35 on 225/40/18 Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R (Rear) -- Needed a 3MM Spacer to clear the Rear BBK.

-2.5 Front Camber, OEM Fenders, Non-Rolled, only Fender Screw Mod
-2.0 Rear Camber, OEM Fenders, Non-Rolled

Rubs a little bit in the rears. Going to dial into -2.5 Camber down the line, or just sort of let it rub itself out. Only rubs on big dips, and really aggressive driving. Otherwise, it's fine, :thumbsup:

First impression on the AD08Rs, is they grip well. Extremely well. Even when they're not warm/hot, they still grip very well. Did well in the rain too, Hong Kong had a Typhoon the day I had them mounted, so it was raining. No issues, no worries with them. Road noise isn't too bad either, I reckon actually better than my Toyos from before.

Love the tires so far, and they look absolutely amazing.

Went to town the car today, Interior/Exterior detailing, the works. Took me about 6-Hours, but so worth it! :wub:

Got my FineVu Camera installed also. Not my actual picture, but this will do for now. Didn't actually get any pictures of it yet, lol.

Also, my A/C Compressor is on its way out, sadly. It died previously already, but my shop managed to get it working for a bit longer. Will wait until it dies again, or if I have some extra cash, I'll fix it when my Exhaust/Intake/Other bits are being installed. No A/C in Hong Kong, is complete death! :cry:

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Had my 3M Crystaline installed today.

Tinting isn't legal in HK, and cars over 7-Years old are due for a yearly inspection to make sure everything complies with their rules.

CR90 in the Front, and CR70.

Rears are a little darker than before, Fronts are just about the same. I also got the Windshield, the Rear Hatch, and the Sunroof done.

Here's some basic information about the 3M Crystaline. I can't wait to see the difference it makes after having the car parked in the sun, or driving with the sun up!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ucts/Automotive/Crystalline-Automotive-Films/

Oh, also for got to mention, dropped off the car to my mechanic to get some things sorted out/installed.

1) Additional camber to prevent rubbing in the rears
2) Stiffen up suspension (Dampening)
3) Rear Sway Bar on full stiff
4) Wiper Blade Replacements
5) Installation of Scorpion Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust
6) Lowering the car
7) Alignment

Decided that since the car is mainly a street car, I'm going to set it a little lower, at the perfect height I want, even if it's not "ideal" per say. It's not a full blown track car, so having the geometry not 100% perfect, will be perfectly fine, even when I push the car. I'm not willing to take the car to it's limits when I drive on the street anyways.

That same thought pattern also translated to my rear rubbing issue. I'm going to be dialing in more camber, even though it's slightly detrimental to handling. I don't feel like rolling my rear fenders, as it usually doesn't look good after it's done.

The extra rear camber, should cause a bit more understeer, but the rear sway being set to full stiff, the dampening being turned up, along with changing my from camber from -2.5 to -3.0, should help offset that. I also have a UNIBrace XB on the way too, which should really help to tighten the rear end, and "overcome" the understeer that's given with the additional camber, I would like to believe at least, lol.

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
Had my 3M Crystaline installed today.

Tinting isn't legal in HK, and cars over 7-Years old are due for a yearly inspection to make sure everything complies with their rules.

CR90 in the Front, and CR70.

Rears are a little darker than before, Fronts are just about the same. I also got the Windshield, the Rear Hatch, and the Sunroof done.

Here's some basic information about the 3M Crystaline. I can't wait to see the difference it makes after having the car parked in the sun, or driving with the sun up!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ucts/Automotive/Crystalline-Automotive-Films/

Oh, also for got to mention, dropped off the car to my mechanic to get some things sorted out/installed.

1) Additional camber to prevent rubbing in the rears
2) Stiffen up suspension (Dampening)
3) Rear Sway Bar on full stiff
4) Wiper Blade Replacements
5) Installation of Scorpion Non-Resonated Catback Exhaust
6) Lowering the car
7) Alignment

Decided that since the car is mainly a street car, I'm going to set it a little lower, at the perfect height I want, even if it's not "ideal" per say. It's not a full blown track car, so having the geometry not 100% perfect, will be perfectly fine, even when I push the car. I'm not willing to take the car to it's limits when I drive on the street anyways.

That same thought pattern also translated to my rear rubbing issue. I'm going to be dialing in more camber, even though it's slightly detrimental to handling. I don't feel like rolling my rear fenders, as it usually doesn't look good after it's done.

The extra rear camber, should cause a bit more understeer, but the rear sway being set to full stiff, the dampening being turned up, along with changing my from camber from -2.5 to -3.0, should help offset that. I also have a UNIBrace XB on the way too, which should really help to tighten the rear end, and "overcome" the understeer that's given with the additional camber, I would like to believe at least, lol.

Number 6 is the most important - you should know that;)

Last edited:

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Number 6 I'd the most important - you should know that;)

Hahaha. Lowering the car to 1/2 Finger Gap or so. Shop is working on it right now.

I can't believe a country as hot as Hong Kong doesn't allow tint, that's so dumb.

Yup. It's kind of ridiculous, but yeah.

They allow 70% Tint, which, is essentially nothing, lol. Up to 50% in the rear.

I went with the 3M Crystaline stuff. Keeps the heat out, but doens't tint. It is what is is :mad0259:

Spoke with my shop, going to be dialing up the camber.

-3.5 Front, and -3.0 Rear. Hopefully that gets rid of all the rubbing in the rear :happyanim:

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Obligatory photo first!

Just some updates!

July 25th, 2014, had my Scorpion Non-Res Exhaust installed at Kwai Office.

At the same time, had my Handbrake adjustment, and my suspension/camber adjusted.

Lowered the car, will measure my Fender-To-Ground when I get a chance later today.

Essentially 3/4 Finger Gap all around, maybe a slight bit lower in the rear depending on how much gas I have.

Car now has -3.5 of Front Camber, and -3.0 of Rear Camber. No longer rubs on the Rear Fender, but actually on the bumper tab on the inside. Thinking of letting it rub away itself, but the rubbing should go away shortly anyways.

Took the car on a drive the night I picked it up, it feels great, except the Exhaust is 100% way too loud. Could not stand it. Drones like mad, and was just an absolute horror to drive. Couldn't talk, couldn't think. I've come from loud exhausts before, it's not the sound level, it's the constant drone.

Took it back the next day, July 26th, to have my OEM Resonator installed back in. The sound is absolutely PERFECT now. It's still got that aftermarket exhaust growl when I rev it, no drone in the car, and it's quiet when I'm just cruising along. If I WOT, it still sounds great. Absolutely love it right now!

Not too much planned for the car in the next little while. Waiting to receive some LEDs, and some stuff from ECS Tuning and other little miscellaneous parts like OEM Valeo LED Tails, but that'll be sometime in the middle of August when I get back from Toronto again.

Might be hitting up a track day sometime in August. Been pondering an LSD for quite a while. Also considered running some SRS-TEC Wide Front Fenders, and going reverse stagger, since the AWD System is still technically FWD Based. Not too sure yet though, I just got these tires and wheels, don't want it to be such a waste that I replace them now.

Maybe down the line when these tires are toast!