GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV R32 Build Thread

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Boosted R is tame? i like your idea of tame :iono: :thumbsup:

I mean...it was supposed to be tame. Until I started fucking with the LCAs, the ALK, the Hubs. That...was a little unexpected.

Then I figured, hey, why don't I build this one properly, to the tits, the exact way I want it.

And here I am now looking at Turbos. :cry:

Header back or bust.

But but, Headers don't work with a Turbo.

I was considering grabbing the Milltek Headerback, but I've heard some fitment issues, and the fact that well, it doesn't really pick up any power.

Would rather throw that into a turbo kit :headbang:

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Forgot to mention:

Ordered some:

OEM Valeo LED Taillights

Interior/Exterior LEDs from Performance LEDs

UNIBrace XB

Won't ship until August, I'll be out of town from July to August!

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
I mean...it was supposed to be tame. Until I started fucking with the LCAs, the ALK, the Hubs. That...was a little unexpected.

Then I figured, hey, why don't I build this one properly, to the tits, the exact way I want it.

And here I am now looking at Turbos. :cry:

But but, Headers don't work with a Turbo.

I was considering grabbing the Milltek Headerback, but I've heard some fitment issues, and the fact that well, it doesn't really pick up any power.

Would rather throw that into a turbo kit :headbang:

might as well do it right. i always envy your builds. your mkv gti was amazing.

i see your ordered LEDs did you consider these though: http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/View/5K0-052-122/268226

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
might as well do it right. i always envy your builds. your mkv gti was amazing.

i see your ordered LEDs did you consider these though: http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/View/5K0-052-122/268226

Thanks man! Hoping this one turns out god too, just in a different way!

I didn't look at those. The owner of Performance LEDs is a friend, so that's what I'm supporting him haha. He's also helping with the Unibrace and LED Tails also!

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
:thumbsup:

I can vouch for this site ( I work here :biggrin:)

You're everywhere!

Was also notified that my wheels will arrive next week. They'll be getting some very minor curb rash fixed up, and I'm trying to see if they can also machine the backpad down maybe 5MM.

That way, the wheel specs are 18x8.5 +37, fits a little better than +32.

Decided on tires too, going to be going with Yokohama ADVAN AD08Rs -- Been reading reviews. The AD08s were a great tire to begin with, for traction, and not to mention their tread-pattern and square sidewall looks absolutely awesome too, but the AD08Rs, have been revised to have even better traction, with no compromise to tread-life, and on top of that, they improved their wet traction, which is always good too!

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Some updates! :)

Picked up the car yesterday afternoon, here's a final list of everything that was completed:

Apollo Racing V1 Coilovers (8K/6K)
HPA 4-Piston Rear BBK in Blue (330MM)
H&R Front/Rear Sway Bars (26MM/24MM)
HPA Core Interlock Mount
UNIBrace UB

MOTUL 300V Oil Change
MOTUL DCTF DSG Flush
Ferodo 5.1 Brake Fluid Flush
OEM VW Haldex Fluid Flush
OEM VW Differential Fluid Flush
Upgraded 6.6 Bar Fuel Filter
OEM VW Cabin Air Filter
Fix Coolant Leak
Fix Windshield Chip
Replace Front Brake Pads

Alignment Specs were set at -2.8 Front, and -2.0 Rear. Depending on how my wheels fit, I might have to dial in a little bit more camber all around. Something like -3.2 Front, and -2.5 Rear. Car is sitting at a 1.5~ Finger Gap right now, expect it to settle a little more. Will potentially re-adjust when I get my wheels on, that way I can dial in the perfect height afterwards. I'm thinking I'd love to ride around with like a 0.5 Finger Gap, essentially nearly flush the the fenders, but, I'm not sure if that's going to be sitting too low. Will figure out if my wheels can even fit at the height with no rubbing when I'm running it hard.

Car feels absolutely amazing right now. I turn, the car turns, it's absolutely a blast to drive! Definitely feel an improvement with all the Suspension Bits added, the turn-in response is great. Changing directions is amazing now, before it would feel a little "lagged", or that the car just didn't want to change directions. Definitely feels a lot better now, it's a lot more nimble. The weight savings from the Control Arms/Hub can definitely be felt. Limiting factor, is definitely the Toyo Proxes C1S Tires. Cannot wait to get the AD08Rs on the RS-GTs in the next two weeks!

Once the AD08Rs go on, will stiffen up the suspension a few clicks. Coils are extremely comfortable right now, dare I say even better than my Bilstein B8/H&R Springs. Didn't think it was possible, but it handles better, rides better, and takes bumps and everyhting better. It's not harsh, it's stiff, but, it's comfortable too.

The Sways are both set at soft right now, Front/Rear. It handles really neutrally, essentially no understeering, only time I experienced it was towards the end of my runs, when my tires were past their limit. I expect when I install the AD08s, stiffen up the suspension, set the rear sway to stiff, I won't experience any understeer at all. With the UNIBrace XB en-route too, that will only help tighten up the whole car as a whole.

Brakes also felt great. The updated compound HPA Front Pads really are a lot better. I'd like the pedal to be a bit stiffer, so I'll likely look into the Tyrolsport Master Cylinder Brace, but there was 0 Fade at all, as expected with the Front and Rear BBK, and some nice FERODO 5.1 Brake Fluid inside the system.

Hopefully getting tuned this next week, have to swing by my local UM Tuner and have them read my DSG, just to make sure everything is compatible, and allow UM to make a few changes for me.

Only things after the Tune is the HPA Intake, and Scorpion Exhaust. Seriously considering picking up a Test Pipe from E9 Performance, their Argon Addicts line looks very nice and well priced.

After all this, only thing left I can see myself doing in the foreseeable future, is a WaveTrac LSD.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32

:rolleyes:

Been doing some thinking otherwise, pretty sure holding off on the Turbo is a good thing. The power truthfully isn't necessary, and it just adds a whole new host of potential issues that I'm not down for.

The +15WHP that people seem to pick up on the ECU Tune, coupled with a Test-Pipe should wake up the car a bit, and should be all the umph that I really need :biggrin:

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
:rolleyes:

Been doing some thinking otherwise, pretty sure holding off on the Turbo is a good thing. The power truthfully isn't necessary, and it just adds a whole new host of potential issues that I'm not down for.

The +15WHP that people seem to pick up on the ECU Tune, coupled with a Test-Pipe should wake up the car a bit, and should be all the umph that I really need :biggrin:
I'm going to call bullshit on this one! there's never too much power Phil. my friends R was uni state 1 with an intake. still kinda boring to drive compared to my stage 2 at the time. plus my car is/was faster. deff needs a dsg tune too

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
I'm going to call bullshit on this one! there's never too much power Phil. my friends R was uni state 1 with an intake. still kinda boring to drive compared to my stage 2 at the time. plus my car is/was faster. deff needs a dsg tune too

You're not helping. I'm trying to convince myself that the UM Tune is all I need.

:mad:

This^ don't play games phill.. Jump in head first and get it done! Set ball mark for china.. A few nice cars I see from there but let them know you have arrived.

:cry: I have an addiction. I can already see down the line that it'll get done, just depends on whether I want to do it earlier, or do it later, and spend the money on other things like vacation first, lol :help:

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
You're not helping. I'm trying to convince myself that the UM Tune is all I need.

:mad:

:cry: I have an addiction. I can already see down the line that it'll get done, just depends on whether I want to do it earlier, or do it later, and spend the money on other things like vacation first, lol :help:
sorry.....But go big (turbo) or go home!

you'll thank me later