GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV Intake Valve Cleaning Question

ok so,

I've been doing a lot of research on my Cyl 2 Misfire and rough idle. After changing plugs and a few other quick fixes, I've decided to do a cleaning. I'm confident that its within my capabilities to pull this off, I just wanted to see if anyone could clear up some questions from the DIY's I have been looking at.

DIY's:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5355100-TSI-Intake-Manifold-Removal-DIY-Valve-Cleaning
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103885

Question:
Assuming I only use carb cleaner, in the off chance that I unknowingly didn't get a valve totally closed and some carb cleaner (that will most likely just evap) and loosened carbon drop down into the cylinder, am I looking at totally effing up my engine, or just an unsuccessful cleaning?

Also, after the beast manifold is off, can you really get the cylinders closed by rotating the alternator belt or the bolt on the crank pulley? Or will I need to remove the wheel for sure as the Stasis doc says?

This has been on my mind while I prepare to clean it this weekend.

Those of you who have done this yourself, what were your experiences? Especially on the first startup after the clean?

Many thanks!

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
I keep putting it off. I need too. I have 114k miles

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
Its best to remove the passenger side splash shield. And turn the crank with a 12pt socket. 19mm or 16mm I can't remember.

If a little carbon goes down the cylinder it should be okay. It will be blown out when you start and the exhausted valve opens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Aphron

CW :)!
Yeah don't freak out, when you start the car and it sounds like immediate shit! I gave it a little gas, as it sounded like it was going to die, and then about two seconds later it sounded insanely better! Don't forget to prime it excessively before you crank it! I just rotated it with a ratchet on the crank pulley, and it worked fine, that way its easy to barely move the valves, and put it where you want them! If you have air pressure to blow the carbon out it helps A TON!! The picks are amazing, I used the curved one and put it behind the carbon, and just dragged it out after it had fallen. Would be wise to get injector seals. I had 2 that stuck into the engine, I had no means of transportation, or money. So I oiled them up and they slid in fine thankfully, but now its another thing I have to do.. Did this at 55k, and they were pretty gunked up. Ran a good noticably different afterwords, worth the effort! If you have a pain killer, might want to take it before you start, your lower back might hurt afterwords.. Sorry for the wall, im baked.

Kishon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkvGti
Planning on doing mine this weekend. Just another question. I know i should replace injector seals if they pull out during the manifold removal. Should i not also replace the intake manifold gasket? Or is this unnecessary?

kenneth_cano

kenneth
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
Planning on doing mine this weekend. Just another question. I know i should replace injector seals if they pull out during the manifold removal. Should i not also replace the intake manifold gasket? Or is this unnecessary?

Cleaned mine about 3 weeks ago. Went to over to VW dealer to get the rings for the injectors cost me 50 bills!! I also needed to get the manifold gasket but i forgot to buy it:cry:
Anyways got home, put everything back on without replacing the manifold gasket. Running great till now:thumbsup:

Kishon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkvGti
Cleaned mine about 3 weeks ago. Went to over to VW dealer to get the rings for the injectors cost me 50 bills!! I also needed to get the manifold gasket but i forgot to buy it:cry:
Anyways got home, put everything back on without replacing the manifold gasket. Running great till now:thumbsup:

its the worst thing ever when you forget something and the stores are not open over the weekend:mad0259: I was thinking of using the same gasket but i'm just gonna go get a new one...... its quite cheap.

UPDATE

UPDATE

So I did the cleaning over two weeks ago and with no codes and a seriously improved idle, I'm ready to call it a total success. The valves were effing dirty. Not proud of it but it took about 17 hours, spread over two days (weekend). Though it took forever the first time and was kind of a pain at times, its totally worth doing, whether it be for the saved money, performance, or satisfaction of not destroying it + learning about your engine.

Some advice if you're considering doing a cleaning:
Give yourself the entire weekend. THE WHOLE THING.
Get the four injector seal kits. You can return them if you dont need them.
Spend a but load of time beforehand collecting the right tools. This helped me a ton. The stasis doc and steelcurtains DIY nailed this part.
Print out the stasis pdf and put all your parts in bags, and write the step numbers on the bags. I also bought a metallic sharpie and wrote step numbers on some parts just to be absolutely sure.
Do not rush. Take your time dis/re assembling and cleaning.
I used painters tape (no residue I guess) to close up anything I opened.
Taping screws and bits to my tool really helped a lot too.

I had to use just two injector seal kits. All injectors stayed in when the manifold came off, but I was a dunce and lost two that were stuck in the manifold. Found one later and put it on my keychain because it was a $15 mistake.

The M10 twelve point manifold support bolt, which someone else in this community correctly named the 'satan' bolt, was in fact a total pain. The best advice I can give is once you find it, spend some time either getting a flat head or your bit on it so you can feel out the room you have to work with, as well as getting comfortable with the angle you need. There is almost no room here. I ended up buying the wrong type of M10 triple square bit, which I had to cut short and put in a socket and .25" extension (pictured below). On my FSI engine I could get the kludged bit in between where two hard lines (coolant I think but who knows) cross and kind of guide it in there. Its a huge pain but you'll get it.

I only broke one plastic clip, not a big deal. The only thing I couldn't get back together just right was the injector wiring sub-harness that clips onto the bottom of the manifold. It just wouldn't get back on there right, so I pushed it down and didn't worry about it. Not the best thing to do but it looks alright when I did a check-up.

Link to DIY for FSI engine:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140523&highlight=DIY+cleaning+valves
Steelcurtain's DIY:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5355100-TSI-Intake-Manifold-Removal-DIY-Valve-Cleaning

Im probably missing some info in my stream of consciousness here so if you have any questions post or pm me and ill try my best to help you out.

Below are the filthy pictures of each valve. I may have mixed up the order though. I didn't take clean ones because it was 1am and I was mentally finished.

Attachments

• 100_1994.JPG
    100_1994.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 10,831
  • 100_1997.JPG
    100_1997.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 12,951
  • 100_2000.JPG
    100_2000.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 10,663
  • 100_2002.JPG
    100_2002.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 10,711
  • satan.JPG
    satan.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 10,570
  • tape.JPG
    tape.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 10,817

Kishon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkvGti
:thumbsup:Duuude! WTF? i did mine yesterday and was wondering how the F*ck is my car still going. i'm now at 125000KM. Yes you're right that bolt at the bottom M10 Triple square was a B!tch to remove. But the carbon deposits was not hard to remove on the flaps. i just soaked them in fuel system cleaner for an hour and brushed them off. I still have mine stripped down and have sent the injectors to a spa for some pampering. Hopefully getting them back this afternoon.

Attachments

• 2012-06-24-158.jpg
    2012-06-24-158.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 13,829
  • 2012-06-24-165.jpg
    2012-06-24-165.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 12,257

Kishon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkvGti
My Injectors came back yesterday after the day at the spa. They look relaxed and refreshed. Slapped them back on with the cleaned intake and car is going like a dream again. No misfires so far!!! :headbang:

Kishon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkvGti
Cool thanks for the heads up.

But seems like i jumped for joy too soon:thumbdown: My misfires are back! I'm just gonna start a new thread, Don't wanna jack OP's thread.

Datalore

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I have a crappy idle as well and to my knowledge, the valves have never been done. As much as I want to spend two days in the 100+*F weather, I think it will have to wait. I might even pay someone else to do it. Anyone know of a good shop or person that would be willing to do this for a reasonable price near Cincinnati, OH?