GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV GTI Alternator "connector replacement" verses a Pigtail connector for this alternator

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone,

I am in the middle of replacing the Alternator on a 2006 GTI (my 17 year old Son's GTI). We bought this car in Oct 2019. As were some of the other connectors, the 2-pin Alt connector had been previously damaged, and it refused to be disconnected. After all my tricks and efforts, I was forced to carefully pry this connector off of the alternator. I thought I would break the outside-shell of this connector during this, but I did not. However, somehow during this, I managed to damage the internal parts of this connector, but did not damage the Alt jack/receptacle. Side Note: A few months ago I bought a VW/Audi "Connector Removal Tool". Not even this Tool would help the dis-connection from the Alt. I am now working on (the process of) replacing this very unique connector for the alternator. This very unique connector part number is 1J0973772... and a very similar connector (but is not for the Alternator) is part number 1J0973722.

After much searching, I was shocked to learn that the MKV GTI alternator has NO aftermarket "connector pigtail" available for this alternator. If you know about a new pigtail for sale, please share a link. BTW, I did find one, used, on ebay, that was obviously cut-off from a junkyard car. I almost bought that one, but the wires were a bit short, and est. shipping time was too slow.

Moving-on to Alt Connector Replacement:
Found the new connector via a local VW dealership, 2 day lead time, for $10. Picked it up 2 days ago, and then talked with a senior VW Tech about the "uniqueness" of this connector. When the connector is brand new, the face of the connector is offset (cocked or crooked) in relationship to the body of the connector; this is normal, and is in the "unlocked" state. Unlocked means that the connector is ready to have the (wires) contact pins inserted into the connector. Once the contact pins are inserted, you must carefully pry the hot-pink face of the connector downward (aka sideways) in order to (1) get the connector in the locked state (2) the center face of the connector will now become centered in relationship to the body of the connector. Despite this unique locked & unlocked state, the senior Tech said that the Pin Removal Tool is still needed for pin extraction. What we failed to say to one-another is now obvious; Prior to being able to extract the pins from the old connector, YOU MUST either pry the face into the Unlocked state, or maybe just sheer-off/break-off the old hot-pink face BEFORE you can use the Pin Removal Tool. If the pink face is sheared-off or broken-off, you must now focus on the same hot-pink plastic bits deeper inside the center of this connector, located below the face, and shift (pry) this pink part into the unlocked-state.

Extraction/Removal of the 2 contact pins (aka Terminals) inside of the connector: Found a 2-piece tool set at IDParts.com. "VW Pin Removal Tool Set". I could not find this tool locally, so I was forced to order. These tools will arrive tomorrow (Monday).

I will post back after the surgery is over.

BTW, I inherited this Alt Job, because it was a family friend who deemed the Alt was bad, and they ordered the replacement Alt. I was not involved, I was not available, when those decisions were made. It bothers me that I am about to install a XYZ-Brand Alt. Leave me alone, I do not wanna talk about it.... where's my beer?

EDIT 9/3/2020 - The "original" Alt was later found to be functionally OK via bench testing at a local car part store. This "original" Alt is believed to be an aftermarket and/or rebuilt Alt. This Alt did have one spot hard-printed as Bosch... but an additional ID sticker (hard to read due to some sticker damage) indicated it was an aftermarket rebuild. A partial part number on this sticker was "13853". Part number search results indicated 13853 are for aftermarket/rebuilt Alts. END OF THE STORY IS: we re-installed this original alternator and also did a very through clean-up job of all the large cable connection points (Hots & Grounds) and the charging system has been OK ever since this. None of these connections were badly corroded; it had only very light sulfate-like corrosion. Since this electrical clean-up, -this has apparently solved our intermittent charging system problems... and much! more! strange! is that the SA2 80A fuse has not blown ever since this clean-up ((see link at post #4)).

Last edited:

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello again,

Here is the brand new Alt connector hot-pink face side, and it is shown before any use.

You can see how the new connector (the center of it) is offset as I described in my first post. Now let's see if I can post a picture using Imgur... nope. not able.... But it seems a Direct Upload of the picture to this site did work. I will try Imgur next time. Oh, great, now I have two of the same picture attached. Pft. Whatever dude.

If you want to remove the existing contact pins from your old Alt connector, you MIGHT or MUST get your old connector into this "unlock state" first. It should look like this before you can extract OR insert the contact pins. TBD.

One thing for sure is:->> You must get the new connector into the Locked State before it will become "centered" and then be able to properly connect it onto the Alternator.

MKV GTI Alt Connector offset only when brand new.jpg

MKV GTI Alt Connector offset only when brand new.jpg

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
Alt connector replacement is completed.
I can confirm that the "Pink-Face" must be in the unlocked-state prior to being able to remove the contact pins. The pink-face is not only the face, but also includes a pink arm which extends downward into (inside) of the connector; and continues back inside to the center of the connector body. Movement of the pink locking mechanism was not difficult on the old broken connector, and ditto for the new connector.

Extracting the 2 contact pins was very-very difficult ONLY because the tools I bought were poorly manufactured. The "tips" of the Pin Removal Tool must be manufactured with exact precision to the shape and size of the tips.

As I mentioned above, I bought a 2-piece tool set at IDParts.com. "VW Pin Removal Tool Set". This tool set is NOT recommended.

Sadly, ECS Tuning sells the same exact (looking) type of tools. Mfg Part #025682SCH01A ECS Part #ES#3504783,... so this is also NOT recommended.

The day I spoke with the senior VW Tech at the Dealership, he had two great looking, properly tipped, extraction tools; but I did not ask him where he purchased them. I told him I was having problems finding the proper tool, he replied "did you try ECS?". A proper tool would be tipped kinda like a flat tip screw driver, while the ones I used were tipped/shaped almost like a round pole. These tools are being manufactured using improper shaped material; with regard to the shaft/tip. The VW Tech said "use the smaller tool". After small modifications to the Larger (of the 2) Tool, it was still a small miracle I got the pins extracted.

Picture shows the completed new connector. Note the pink face is now centered, aka is in the Locked State.

GTI Alt Connector replaced.jpg

Cheers!
-Marde

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh, I forgot the best part of this story...
I was working with my 17 y/o Son during this. After getting the connector replaced, we did not install the Alt, because it was getting too late. Electrical trouble-shooting is one of my strengths, so I was showing my Son how to use a DVM (multimeter) and how to do some checks/tests on his GTI. We quickly found an Open (blown) fuse. Fuse type is MIDI and is 80 Amp. I just got back from AutoZone, had the old "bad" alternator tested and it Passed 3 times.

So, yeah, the Alt should have never been removed, and nor should have "they" ordered a replacement Alt. The owners manual gives no info for this fuse, and now I really WISH I had a wiring diagram book for the MKV.

I will start with just replacing the 80A fuse, but will need to do some proper testing if it blows again. TBD.

BTW - The new subject, about the blown 80A fuse, is now its' own thread here:->
https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/inde...-midi-fuse-2006-gti-plus-related-info.377110/

Last edited: