GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV 2-door Door Card Upholstery Removal (sonic welds)

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Had to do the headliner last year and I decided to dive into the front door upholstery this year. I have the entire door panels off and have a question on how many of these plastic sonic welds need to be cut out in order to remove the piece which holds the foam. I know I have to cut out the yellow welds, but I'm unsure about the green or white welds (see image). :iono:
I believe the green ones just hold on the speaker grill... Anyone ever do this? I've searched but only found different model year examples or 4-door or just rears.

I think I might still bring the panels to my shop and see if they can reupholster without me having to break the welds...

Attachments

• 20190706_210001s.jpg
    20190706_210001s.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 521
  • 20190706_205939s.jpg
    20190706_205939s.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 770

Dondady

I need to tackle this soon. Thanks for putting up those pics and please let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dondady

Hey, how’s it going with the door cards. I haven’t seen anything on the rear cards for a 2 door. Figure I will upgrade the speakers also. Have not started yet, looking for the time. I have a 2008 2 door.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Hey sorry for ghosting... I actually decided NOT to rip apart the door panels. My fabrics are only slightly falling and I didn't want to take on the risk of it going back together like crap. If we really wanted to we can buy new panels from VW for about $300each I think.

As far as speakers... That upgrade looked WAY too expensive for me to throw that money down. And I'm currently happy with my sound.

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
I am wanting to do the same (replace door card), as my arm has worn it away over past 12 yrs, but mine is the leatherette which seems to be harder to find than cloth.

Dondady

Reupholstered the drivers’s door card this weekend. Next weekend the passenger’s.