Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

FL_GTI

Ready to race!
In considering a new vehicle I've come across a stark decision:

Lease or Finance a MY16 Golf R Manual Base

or

Finance a MY13+ Audi S4 Manual Premium Plus

I have not driven a MK7R, but have the S4/S5 and love the refinement, power linearity etc.. The decision is to support purchasing a (nearly) 4 year old car with < 50,000 miles for roughly $30-35K OR opt for the zero mile slightly less equipped, but just as quick, if not quicker variation.

I love my GTI, but am lusting after more power, more tech, better traction and of course value for money.

What is everyone's take on this argument - and as such if you were sticking in the VW/Audi group is there anything else you would consider?

Ex: Porsche Cayman S (2006-2008MY)

The only reason I would be concerned with choosing the mid-engined machine is the fact that I'm averaging roughly 15,000mi/Year.

The residual value of the Golf R would be exceptional, so I'm leaning towards this, but let me hear thoughts / ideas, VW gurus.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I'd take the R, because:

-Lightweight.

-Cult car or def. more than the S4, I know is bigger but.. meh

-Good base as project car, if you wanna go bigger turbo, never limited to a pulley (Audi's case)

-Haldex system is good enough to hold more power, not as complex as the Quattro one.

I know you can have the sport diff. in the Audi but don't you really need it, specially in Florida? The thing I def. would get on the Golf R is the DCC.

FL_GTI

Ready to race!
I'd take the R, because:

-Lightweight.

-Cult car or def. more than the S4, I know is bigger but.. meh

-Good base as project car, if you wanna go bigger turbo, never limited to a pulley (Audi's case)

-Haldex system is good enough to hold more power, not as complex as the Quattro one.

I know you can have the sport diff. in the Audi but don't you really need it, specially in Florida? The thing I def. would get on the Golf R is the DCC.

I forgot to mention that I'm traveling around the country in job rotation for the next couple of years.. Currently in Chicago, so the Haldex/Quattro system would be nice!

Not sure if you go to the Brauerhouse meets, but I've been once before.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
R for overall value. It is cheaper to mod as well. The S4 is really pricey to mod. Labor is MUCH more. For example, to install downpipes, some shops will drop the motor. Ridiculously tight in there.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I forgot to mention that I'm traveling around the country in job rotation for the next couple of years.. Currently in Chicago, so the Haldex/Quattro system would be nice!

Not sure if you go to the Brauerhouse meets, but I've been once before.

Oh I see.. Yes, I have been there before (possibly we have met before), nice crowd always try to make it just a bit far for me. Anyways Haldex is good, you'll be fine on the R!

FL_GTI

Ready to race!
What's everyone's opinion on the N63/tu equipped BMW 550i with manual transmission?

Relatively affordable as a second hand model and makes gobs of power..

Thoughts?

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
In considering a new vehicle I've come across a stark decision:

Lease or Finance a MY16 Golf R Manual Base

The only reason I would be concerned with choosing the mid-engined machine is the fact that I'm averaging roughly 15,000mi/Year.

you better be certain that your lifestyle keeps you under that mileage on a lease

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Personally I would go for the S3... its not to much different to maintain. Plus you get a bit more refinement and its a sexier:drool:

FL_GTI

Ready to race!
yeah but s3 is dsg only. fail.

Yep. If I'm buying a car, it's a must that it has three pedals.

S3 is nice, but I don't think worth the premium for the exact same chassis, driveline and engine. Aesthetics are opinionated, but I'm partial to the hatchback style.

Any more points to consider (Focus RS)?

I'll most likely take either only to stage two, so costs are somewhat comparable (within marginal reason) there.

Last edited:

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Any more points to consider (Focus RS)?

From now on I'm only getting DSG cars, don't care so much about three pedals, I want those fractions of a second and maybe more. :)

Unless a 911 Turbo 996, but definitely I would take an RS manual over an R manual.
Why?
-Good price
-Another future classic
-"The new Evo"
-Sunroof, a mundane option no avail. 4 the R
-Twin scroll turbo that with just a reflash you will be touching the 400 ponies & most likely a more evolved AWD than your regular Haldex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I'm considering a new S3 to replace the GTI BUT I'm also considering a WRX STI and keeping the GTI as a daily driver. I think I am finally over wanting a used C5 or C6 Corvette as a second car...

Unfortunately, my GTI is having some weird intermittent issues with the steering angle sensor and I am really dreading bringing it to the dealership for a warranty claim. I'm almost certain they will come up with some convoluted excuse to make this my fault and stick me with the whole damn bill. They have been good at doing that to me thus far...

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I'm considering a new S3 to replace the GTI BUT I'm also considering a WRX STI and keeping the GTI as a daily driver. I think I am finally over wanting a used C5 or C6 Corvette as a second car...

Unfortunately, my GTI is having some weird intermittent issues with the steering angle sensor and I am really dreading bringing it to the dealership for a warranty claim. I'm almost certain they will come up with some convoluted excuse to make this my fault and stick me with the whole damn bill. They have been good at doing that to me thus far...

C5 is always the answer.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
C5 is always the answer.

IDK, I drove a C5 Z06 and well, either I aged, or something has changed. Don't get me wrong the clutch was light and the car was fun to drive. I just found it rode too rough and was way too noisy for me. I also can't bring myself to spend $23k on an 11 plus year old car.