GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 to Mk5??

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all!
I currently own a Mk7, and for reasons other then the VW scandals, am looking to sell/trade into something that will ease my budget a bit. One option is a used Mk5...if I decide to stay with VW that is....

I've found a 2007 Autobahn with 85k miles on it, asking price at the dealer $8800. I'm waiting to hear if the cam follower, camshaft, HPFP have been replaced, as well DSG fluid changes and all service records. Are there any other major big ticket maintenance items that should have been taken care of at this point? DMF?

Also, I'm wondering how it drives compared to a Mk7...am I just setting myself up for disappointment? I know it won't be the same, but it's still a GTI I'm thinking.

Planning on going to the dealer Tues to see what they offer for my Mk7, and will check out the Mk5.
Any insights appreciated.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
If you're talking Mk7 GTI to Mk5 GTI, performance will be a downgrade. The 7's are quite a bit faster, but with some mods, might get you to the same territory. I would guess other interior things would also be a downgrade, but Mk5's are still great cars and are very nice all around.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I don't believe the DMF is a regular maintenance item. Sure, I'm on my second one after the first one failed, and the second one is rattling like crazy, but I think I'm in the minority with that component. If you're really worried about it, you can remove the starter motor and check for free play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaNY1nqd7i8

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks.
Yeah, the DMF is definitely not part of a standard maintenance schedule. I just recall it was under-engineered, and especially on TDIs had to be replaced. I wasn't sure if gassers had the same issue...sounds like they do.

Looks like that dealer GTI has sold. So we'll see what they offer for my Mk7, and will check out some of the ones for sale here.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
It's a shame the retail for these is that much higher now, even tho manufacturing costs keep getting cut, and they moved gti North American production to Mexico with the Jettas & bugs. Now the younger crowd that would wanna drive them can't really afford em. I quit buying new cars myself cause cost is ridiculous and you lose shit ton of value as soon as you take it home.

Ronan1

Ready to race!
I just bought a mk7, and still have my mk5. The mk7 is more refined and more planted at speed, but the mk5 is still a wonderful car and I love it. The steering feel and throttle pedal are better in the mk5 (floor mounted gas pedal vs. top hinged in the mk7 which I hate).

There is a chance the car is on the original cam follower and its possible at 85k miles it may not be punched through if the car wasn't driven that hard. If you end up buying this car, I'd get that checked and replaced first thing, and I'd also do a DSG flush.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Shop around, you can find an 09 or even an early mk6 for that money.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks all. I have been unable to sell my Mk7 and trade-in value isn't enough to make sense financially...so probably keeping it for now. I don't need to sell it, but it would help the budget.
That Mk5 is the dealer sold before I could get out there. But they weren't offering enough for my Mk7 either...

Unless someone here who has a well maintained Mk5, and has been looking to upgrade to a Mk7 is interested.

o6RSGTI

Ready to race!
i was at the dealer getting warranty work done on my car i saw a silver mk7 GTI fully loaded Autobahn w/ Performance Package 4 door GTI MSRP was 36K they were selling it for 27K it was fully loaded it even had mud flaps installed for all four wheels.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
The price on the 2007 was higher than I'd want to go just given the year. There are interior materials and things that will start to go. Timing belt would have been coming up soon too. Suspension, vacuum lines and brake booster tend to need work too around that mark. All in all not too bad but it would have added to the costs.

I do like the looks of the MK5 more so than the MK7. The 2005 era Honda look they switched to for MK6 and MK7 is one of the reasons I didn't stick with the line. They appear to be copying Japanese styling from a couple generations back.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
i was at the dealer getting warranty work done on my car i saw a silver mk7 GTI fully loaded Autobahn w/ Performance Package 4 door GTI MSRP was 36K they were selling it for 27K it was fully loaded it even had mud flaps installed for all four wheels.

That is similar to what I saw when I was at the dealer last week, as well as what the salemen I bought my last Jetta from was explaining to me...all the discounting VW is offering due to the diesel scandal. It's really skewed the prices for everything VW...which is making it really hard to sell my MK7 for anything reasonable.

I love the GTI, so if I can't make this happen, I'll still be happy every time I get behind the wheel!