GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Does everyone else have a little storage compartment under their driver seat or is it just mine? I know on the Mk6 it was a popular aftermarket mod and I actually had it when I bought leather seats off a local since he already did the compartment mod. Wasn't sure if VW just made it standard for the 7s...
I have one

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Here's a stupid one for you guys:

Is it normal for a wheel spacers to not fit flush against the wheel? I ordered a set of 11mm spacers from shopdap. The spacers fit flush against the wheel hub, and the wheels are secure against the lip of the spacer, however there's probably a 1mm gap between the spacer and the wheel.

Seems strange to me.
front or rear?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yes, I distinctly remember checking them when I got them. Both sets, the old and the one new today, were pre-gapped around 0.024 - 0.026. Gap wasn't touched on either set.

These are both old ones. The one on the right, I opened the gap to ~0.024 for comparison. The one on the left, I can barely check with my gap tool which starts at ~0.020 (one of those metal circular ones the size of a half dollar):

View attachment 212161

View attachment 212162
Looks like it's got a touch of hot metal welded to the tip on the left. I assume this car is tuned?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Has anyone else recently tried to order the Majesty/Magic 'twintercooler' and had issues getting it? One I ordered via AliExpress was lost by UPS, got a refund and ordered a second one via Ebay (also shipped UPS), but tracking info only shows it leaving CA over a week ago and no further stops. I'm on the east coast, not sure if the first one was just poor luck or if there's a trend here with things possibly getting caught up in customs.

Or I'm just impatient 🙃 Initial estimate was delivery this Friday (5/14), I'm maintaining cautious hope as the summertime heat is coming up and I'd really like to keep my IATs reasonable. I was sure to find the 90mm thick V2, hoping that it arrives soon and undamaged.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Anyone considering these new Mashimoto ZX tires? The rubber extraction process includes a Kevlar dip. Nothing is beating them from a diggsupposedly 24 grand a set.

kglpdx

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
For anyone who has been in an accident, any tips on forcing your (or the person who ran the red light and t-boned you) insurance company to total your car instead of trying to repair?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
For anyone who has been in an accident, any tips on forcing your (or the person who ran the red light and t-boned you) insurance company to total your car instead of trying to repair?
I don’t think you can force that at all. It’s one of those “it either is or isn’t” or “it’ll cost more to fix this vs wrecking it”

I could be wrong though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don’t think you can force that at all. It’s one of those “it either is or isn’t” or “it’ll cost more to fix this vs wrecking it”

I could be wrong though.
You're not wrong. Force an insurance company is laughable. I guess he could hire a high priced lawyer to sue the insurance company and spend far more than the car is worth.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
If it's a close call, you can usually argue with the adjuster long enough to get them to write it off, but they know their numbers. Better if you could provide selling or asking price data for similar cars both with and without major repairs. If the repaired cars show significant depreciated value, you have a stronger argument. The availability of CarFax data to regular Joes today makes this easier. You can try getting other estimates from other shops to support a write-off, but that's tough if the car isn't drivable, and the towing would be on your dime.

kglpdx

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
You can try getting other estimates from other shops to support a write-off, but that's tough if the car isn't drivable, and the towing would be on your dime.
Sadly the front driver side wheel is bent in far enough that it won’t move and the driver side door won’t open. I had a similar repair on a car in the past (bent in wheel) and it never felt the same again. The front end clunked and creaked the rest of the time I had it. I have bad VW luck. I’ve had 4 and 3 have been wrecked (1 was my fault), 2 from a red light runner.

cb1111

You'd need a really good body shop that can provide a quote that far exceeds the 70 or so % that the insurance company uses.

Let's say that the car is worth $20k (to make calculation easy)
The insurance company has a 70% cut-off, so $14k
The appraiser determines the damage is $12k - so under that limit.
The body shop would need to able to document $15k or so in repairs

Can they do it? Certainly as the appraiser doesn't take the car apart - they just assume what hidden damage there is.