GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

MeRP2S

Ready to race!
Interesting. Thank you guys for the input. Just trying to make sure I kind of have an idea of how to mix the fuel for the first time. I’m sure down the line when I’ve done it a few times it’ll be much easier. Trying not to blow up my engine (it’s a joke). But in all seriousness, just trying to avoid messing up my engine lol

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
What's up with these cars and the EPC light. Happened to me probably like 4 times owning this car in the last year. This morning on the highway I picked up some speed to switch lanes and the light came on. Had to pull over because my car wasn't accelerating. Shut off the car, started it up again & light went away. It was kinda rush hour so I went and picked up speed to try again. Light came on instantly, I only moved like 15-25ft. Left the car off for 2 minutes and tried again. I pulled off easy this time on the throttle and the car drove fine as long as I didn't accelerate hard. I asked my mechanic two months ago and said it could be the waste actuator getting stuck or something I can't recall. I'm not an expert with specific terms and parts on cars. Two months ago I had the same issue and got a P00AF code. Anything I should be concerned about? 2017 GTI S manufactured in late 2016. I got a CTS BOV if that has any impact on the turbo not working 100%

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Can a factory wheel and tire fit in the spare wheel well??

Yes, without anything else under there. I’ve got a space-saver spare + Helix soundbox under the false floor in my Alltrack, though wagons have more space under the false floor than the hatches (even tho mine has AWD)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What's up with these cars and the EPC light. Happened to me probably like 4 times owning this car in the last year. This morning on the highway I picked up some speed to switch lanes and the light came on. Had to pull over because my car wasn't accelerating. Shut off the car, started it up again & light went away. It was kinda rush hour so I went and picked up speed to try again. Light came on instantly, I only moved like 15-25ft. Left the car off for 2 minutes and tried again. I pulled off easy this time on the throttle and the car drove fine as long as I didn't accelerate hard. I asked my mechanic two months ago and said it could be the waste actuator getting stuck or something I can't recall. I'm not an expert with specific terms and parts on cars. Two months ago I had the same issue and got a P00AF code. Anything I should be concerned about? 2017 GTI S manufactured in late 2016. I got a CTS BOV if that has any impact on the turbo not working 100%
It's possible if the BOV isn't releasing boost causing an overboost. The stock BOV is the best.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Interesting. Thank you guys for the input. Just trying to make sure I kind of have an idea of how to mix the fuel for the first time. I’m sure down the line when I’ve done it a few times it’ll be much easier. Trying not to blow up my engine (it’s a joke). But in all seriousness, just trying to avoid messing up my engine lol

At the only station anywhere near me, the E85 pump is separate and normally turned off. You cannot pay at the pump, you must pay inside. I always pump E85 first, on a close to empty tank, then fill it with gas. Take it easy for the first few miles to let things mix before hammering on it. And you will hammer on it. Often.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion

What's up is that your car is telling you that you have a problem. Don't ignore it. Take it back to your mechanic and have it fixed before you get stranded or have to drive a long ways in limp mode. My guess is either your aftermarket BOV or the wastegate actuator.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
At the only station anywhere near me, the E85 pump is separate and normally turned off. You cannot pay at the pump, you must pay inside. I always pump E85 first, on a close to empty tank, then fill it with gas. Take it easy for the first few miles to let things mix before hammering on it. And you will hammer on it. Often.
I'd drive, slam the brakes at like 3mph. over and over

the accessport would read ethanol final and as soon as it was stable I'd stop looking weird in the gas station

not on a vw this was with a subaru, cobb has an ethanol content sensor and the car was flex fuel tuned up to e50

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
What are my options for a tune for my 1.8T if I want to get an IS38 with a stock R downpipe? I'm looking to make 300 whp for a fast daily, not looking for the max amount of power possible or chasing HP through a different downpipe. I also want to stick to an OEM DP in the hopes that I can pass CA visual for smog when the time comes.

Would I be able to go with an Accessport through EQT and get a custom tune? I'm also looking at a South Bend Stage 2 daily or a Sachs Performance clutch which are rated to 400 ft/lb so again, not looking to go for monster power, more looking for reliability.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
What are my options for a tune for my 1.8T if I want to get an IS38 with a stock R downpipe? I'm looking to make 300 whp for a fast daily, not looking for the max amount of power possible or chasing HP through a different downpipe. I also want to stick to an OEM DP in the hopes that I can pass CA visual for smog when the time comes.

Would I be able to go with an Accessport through EQT and get a custom tune? I'm also looking at a South Bend Stage 2 daily or a Sachs Performance clutch which are rated to 400 ft/lb so again, not looking to go for monster power, more looking for reliability.
1.8T doesn't have Cobb/Accessport sadly. They don't believe it's an enthusiasts platform. Though as you're AWD and not FWD, you do have a more options than the GSW FWD.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/stage-1-tunes-for-the-mk7-1-8t.377348/
Quick list of stage 1, Most of those have IS38 swaps with the exception of Revo, IE and GIAC I believe. Only one not on the list is Reflect that I'm aware of at the moment. I'm looking at Reflect for my IS38 tune as I'm GSW FWD, I've got to deal with the torque limiter in the Auto tranny.

If you want custom tunes, UM I believe offers them and there is ECUTek which allows for custom tunes. Though I don't know if anyone has used it on the 1.8T yet, EQT does offer an ECUTek tune though. Reflect I believe can also customize via logs. He's added 2.0 HPFP and flex to the 1.8T so far.
https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw-audi/products/ecutek-proecu-programming-kit

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
What codes are you getting? It could be misfires to something else that would cause this issue. I often have the engine stumble and make no power until power cycled with misfires on 3-4 shift occasionally. Car runs like crap until I power cycle the engine and then it runs great until the next misfire.

Swapped plugs and coils recently and haven't had it come back, but the solution would depend on the codes you're seeing.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
1.8T doesn't have Cobb/Accessport sadly. They don't believe it's an enthusiasts platform. Though as you're AWD and not FWD, you do have a more options than the GSW FWD.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/stage-1-tunes-for-the-mk7-1-8t.377348/
Quick list of stage 1, Most of those have IS38 swaps with the exception of Revo, IE and GIAC I believe. Only one not on the list is Reflect that I'm aware of at the moment. I'm looking at Reflect for my IS38 tune as I'm GSW FWD, I've got to deal with the torque limiter in the Auto tranny.

If you want custom tunes, UM I believe offers them and there is ECUTek which allows for custom tunes. Though I don't know if anyone has used it on the 1.8T yet, EQT does offer an ECUTek tune though. Reflect I believe can also customize via logs. He's added 2.0 HPFP and flex to the 1.8T so far.
https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw-audi/products/ecutek-proecu-programming-kit

Thanks! I am looking for either a custom tune via dyno or logs. I'm fine with ECUTek as well as I've used that on another platform. I will call EQT at some point in the future and see if they'll do a dyno or log tune via ECUTek for my car.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

If you're not planning on taking it further, APR has a non test pipe IS38 tune. I made 300whp with it.

Depending is you're awd wagon or fwd, Stormable covered the other options

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
If you're not planning on taking it further, APR has a non test pipe IS38 tune. I made 300whp with it.

Depending is you're awd wagon or fwd, Stormable covered the other options

I was under the impression the APR IS38 tune was with their APR DP (or similar)?