GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Here are my stupid questions:

If I want to do a full suspension refresh, what do I order besides shocks/dampers and springs?

When is it recommended to replace all the bushings? Both front and rear?
I’d say 80-100k

as soon as your shocks are bad at least.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Here are my stupid questions:

If I want to do a full suspension refresh, what do I order besides shocks/dampers and springs?

When is it recommended to replace all the bushings? Both front and rear?

FCP Euro has a ful MQB suspension refresh kit with all-OEM strut mounts, bearings, dust boots, and rear strut mounts + installation hardware. that's the route i went

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Dumb question about traction during launches based on the temperature. In warm weather my tires lose traction and spin on a fast take off but overall the launch still goes smoothly. In cold weather (say 40F) the tires do not seem to spin but some wheel hop takes it's place which makes for an awful experience. What determines when the tires hop opposed to spin? It seems that during cold temps I have to keep traction control on to launch without feeling like I'm going to break something.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Dumb question about traction during launches based on the temperature. In warm weather my tires lose traction and spin on a fast take off but overall the launch still goes smoothly. In cold weather (say 40F) the tires do not seem to spin but some wheel hop takes it's place which makes for an awful experience. What determines when the tires hop opposed to spin? It seems that during cold temps I have to keep traction control on to launch without feeling like I'm going to break something.
Traction and heat range of your tires, usually

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The wheels are hopping because they have less traction, especially since the car makes more power when its cold out compared to a hot day. Look into getting a dogbone insert if you don't have one already

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The wheels are hopping because they have less traction, especially since the car makes more power when its cold out compared to a hot day. Look into getting a dogbone insert if you don't have one already
Correct. It’s more like it’s skipping across the ground because it can’t claw forward

I had an ion redline. Supercharging a fwd car with a roots blower was a terrible idea and I dunno wtf gm was thinking. But using hptuners, I was able to reduce boost in first and some in second and it made a world of difference

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Correct. It’s more like it’s skipping across the ground because it can’t claw forward

I had an ion redline. Supercharging a fwd car with a roots blower was a terrible idea and I dunno wtf gm was thinking. But using hptuners, I was able to reduce boost in first and some in second and it made a world of difference
my first car was a 2009 cobalt LT. i wished it had a supercharger

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

So more power/less traction equals hops instead of spins? I figured they would just spin even more before eventually gaining traction.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
For those of you running a FMIC that left the stock IC as dead weight in the heat sandwich - Did you use some sort of block off plates on the stock IC, or just leaving it hanging out? Most kits include pipes and couplers, but I don't see anything for the dead stocker to close it off.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
For those of you running a FMIC that left the stock IC as dead weight in the heat sandwich - Did you use some sort of block off plates on the stock IC, or just leaving it hanging out? Most kits include pipes and couplers, but I don't see anything for the dead stocker to close it off.
That’s a good question. I’ve no idea what these folks do.