GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 GTI Steering Wheel to Mk5 GTI

chad-one

2 Dope 2 Smoke
Car(s)
2007 VW Golf
Hey Guys, Just picked up a MK6 GTI Wheel with the air bag, it has no buttons...Do I need to pick up the slipring C revision (1K0 959 653) to make the horn work? Or will it work properly with just the switch? Thanks!

Bump???

chad-one

2 Dope 2 Smoke
Car(s)
2007 VW Golf
picked up this little beauty from a guy on another forum i use couldnt wait to get it fitted but once on my horn wont work
i have since replaced it with my old wheel and horn works fine and light goes off after a short drive
my slipring is version 1k0 959 653c

im no expert but looking at the airbag i think it maybe the wrong one for this wheel as i have nowhere to plug in the small black plug which i think works the horn
can this be rewired ?
any help would be appreciated

thanks

Bryce

You need the new slip ring with the c revision. Your slip ring needs to not have that C at the end. What year is your car? Trying to figure out if I will need the new slip ring on an 07 rabbit.

SI-R32

picked up this little beauty from a guy on another forum i use couldnt wait to get it fitted but once on my horn wont work
i have since replaced it with my old wheel and horn works fine and light goes off after a short drive
my slipring is version 1k0 959 653c

im no expert but looking at the airbag i think it maybe the wrong one for this wheel as i have nowhere to plug in the small black plug which i think works the horn
can this be rewired ?
any help would be appreciated

thanks

Bryce

Hi there the black plug is for when the 12 buttons are fitted its for the mini control unit in steering wheel, so i would say that is possibly not the original air bag or the wiring connector at the back has just been swapped over...what you need to get from vw is just standard airbag wiring loom it has nothing to do with the slip ring....you need 5k0 971 584, this is the yellow plug to airbag with out the black plug.....the horn may not work as you do not have annoyingly a new steering wheel control module which i believe you need for the mk5 even for just the horn to work

if you were going to do the swap anyway why not just get the full multi function wheel??? i don't get it!

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
Car(s)
2007 Golf V
Don't get all fired up at me for pointing out your "ability" to make threads very frustrating to read!

As for the horn not working, it has nothing to do with the control module, but rather the airbag wiring loom. The horn is simply an on-off push button, so as long as it's wired up to the control module with the correct loom it will work.

SI-R32

Don't get all fired up at me for pointing out your "ability" to make threads very frustrating to read!

As for the horn not working, it has nothing to do with the control module, but rather the airbag wiring loom. The horn is simply an on-off push button, so as long as it's wired up to the control module with the correct loom it will work.

There are only 2 air bag looms one with multi function button connector one with out (i could post a pic from ETKA if you want but will probably get moaned at for using pics again) and as both are not working with the old control modules in the mk5 perhaps you could actually add what you need to do to get the horn to work as apparently its quite easy....

once again you have nothing constructive to add

Last edited:

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
Car(s)
2007 Golf V
In that case, I'd check the pin outs in the large yellow connector to see if they match. It could be they changed them from the Mk.V to the Mk.VI. I would check mine, but don't have the connector on hand right now.

Like I said, the horn is just a large push button integrated into the steering wheel airbag.

mikki

oke. maybe for u simple but for me important :

I bought an nice leather MK6 steering wheel without MF. Its for an MK5 also without MF

What do i need exactly to avoid airbag probs.
An c reverion slipring (nr ?)
Steering module mk6 without mf (nr ?)

Anyone please help.

chad-one

2 Dope 2 Smoke
Car(s)
2007 VW Golf
I need help, 07 rabbit and the air bag light won't go off. Dealership couldn't help. Anyone know vag com codes I need to change?

Here's dealership summary-

C revision clock spring, non multi function wheel

Went from a 2 stage bag to
A 1 stage with mk6 bag

chad-one

2 Dope 2 Smoke
Car(s)
2007 VW Golf
Hi guys, new here on the board. Doing a MK6 GTI steering wheel swap in a MK5 GTI and got problems with the airbag, since MK5 is dual stage airbag and MK6 is single stage airbag. What did you do to get the waring light away and the error code?

Thanks for your help.

Help??

Darez

Finally got mine installed yesterday.....also have the Climatronic from Mk6

Have issue with the left side switches....could not get them to switch radio station like on the Mark6 ! Only Volume works !

I would like to ask You somethink.

From which model did You take FRAME for RNS510 and Climatronic from MK6 ?

One more thing,

I want to change clock from half to full fis - is it possiable ? if Yes do I need anythink more ?

Last edited:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
I need help with my install as well, I read this whole thread and other threads too and I still have not fix my SW issues.

I drive a MK5 R32 with DSG and MFSW buttons and BK control module and single stock CC.

I changed the BK control module o the CH module With the MK6 SW, MFSWO Buttons as well as the Airbag too.

For some reason toning works on the SW : MF buttons, Horn, DSG paddles, and lots of codes and faults on the dash.

I also have NOT changed any thing on my VagCom coding yet either cuz I don't know what to change or activate on the VagCom coding????

Any help would be great!!!

Darez

Hello,

I have fitted Mk6 GTI MFSH to mine MK5 with RNS510, GTI but... I have only working:

- VOL+
- VOL-
- mute

on the left side

also

- back arrow

does not work on the right side...

I have installed:

1K0 907 530 AE
1K0 953 549 CH

codding:

Please could someone give an advice ?

Does it is gateway problem ? it really needs to be AF version ??? to get 10 buttons work ??