GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 GTI Steering Wheel to Mk5 GTI

cbx750p

Is it possible to fit the Mk6 GTI steering wheel onto a Mark5 with all the functions working ?

Updated : 27 October 2010
Mk6 Climatronic and Golf R MFSW

Last edited:

Rob2.5

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 Golf MKVI
Yeah it is. Just need to buy the right wheel and airbag. I'm not sure if there's anything else involved and then some VAGCOM work after all is said and done I believe.

There's even a thread of a mk6 wheel in a mk4

GTI6120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI, 08 A3
I went to the dealership yesterday to get an oil change and sat in the Mk6, steering wheel is definitely cool. Where is the cheapest place to buy the wheel and any DIY installs?

victim2009

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah it is. Just need to buy the right wheel and airbag. I'm not sure if there's anything else involved and then some VAGCOM work after all is said and done I believe.

There's even a thread of a mk6 wheel in a mk4

any link page? i am interested with, hope fully can DIY

Thanks

Cheers

jakethemoss

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mercedes Sprinter
link or it never happened...

actually you can reuse the airbag itself, but you need a revision C slipring, steering coloumn controller needs to bee a CH revision, and if you have cruise control, the stalk has to be replaced with the 1K0 953 513 G stalk from the Mk 6.
i have function in 10 of the 12 buttons on the sw. you should be able to gain function of all 12 buttons, but i believe it requires the latest revision canbus gateway. :thumbsup:

mortygt140

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TDI
here you go this is mine.

Azone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW Jetta MKV TD
^That looks great. Do all of the buttons function properly with the MFD and RNS510?

Oh, just on a side note. I notice you have a TDI. How well does the upgraded instrument cluster work (with different icons and different redlines)?

mortygt140

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TDI
Azone all the buttons work fine apart from the left side left and right buttons they change track in the mk6 but the mk5 they are not designated buttons.

The cluster works fine the only thing I've not got is the coil light for the glowplugs but not a biggy, the revs work normally like in a diesel just go upto 4/5 - 5k revs.

Cheers

Darren

victim2009

Passed Driver's Ed
Azone all the buttons work fine apart from the left side left and right buttons they change track in the mk6 but the mk5 they are not designated buttons.

The cluster works fine the only thing I've not got is the coil light for the glowplugs but not a biggy, the revs work normally like in a diesel just go upto 4/5 - 5k revs.

Cheers

Darren

bro,

How much you bought the Steering Wheel? and how many hour for the job?
need VAG-com?

I am interested to convert it, glad if you have the video shot while they swop process.

Do you think possible for DIY?

Look forward to hear from you

Cheers
:)

mortygt140

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TDI

victim2009

Passed Driver's Ed
It cost me about $350 including the airbag from Portugal

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-VW..._CarParts_SM?hash=item335afaa65b#ht_500wt_975

It took about 1 hour to change the actual wheel over but another hour to change the controller over and code up with vag com. No vid sorry

Darren

Hi Darren,

do i need to get the module in order make all the button work? so i need to get back to SC to reset Code over the VAG-com?

your infor are much appreciate.

Thank in advance

cheers:)

jakethemoss

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mercedes Sprinter
Hi Darren,

do i need to get the module in order make all the button work? so i need to get back to SC to reset Code over the VAG-com?

your infor are much appreciate.

Thank in advance

cheers:)

You need the steering coloumn controller to get the buttons to work, no controller= no buttons, period.
Also not all the buttons works, as the mk 5 has 4 buttons on each side, the Mk 6 has 6 on each side.
This im not sure of, but i believe that you need the latest canbus revision to get all the buttons to work.
Remember that to get the C/C function to work you need the mk 6 C/C stalk, trust me i know :fighting0030: :thumbsup: