GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6/7 Seats in MK5??

eliwise

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone know if MK6 or even MK7 seats fit in the MK5? I know that the seat heater plugs are different, but is it possible to install them?

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, the fronts will bolt right in for both. Mk7 rears definitely will not fit. Don’t know about 6.

Fsuroxu

I have 2013 Jetta seats in my 2008 GTI. everything plugs in the front except airbags. The backs of the back seats bolt in but the the bottoms in back have a different attachment system. Mine are just sitting in there but they dont move around. I have a friend who weighs about 450 and he sits in the back all the time with no problems.

eliwise

Passed Driver's Ed
Great - so MK7 front seats will fit. That is excellent news. I am less concerned about the rear seats for now. It seems they are easier to find.

Any issue with an airbag error in the front?

eliwise

Passed Driver's Ed
Great - thanks for your help. I will post pictures when I complete the install. I just missed a pristine new condition set here in SoCal because someone else beat me to it. Such is Craigslist I guess.

eliwise

Passed Driver's Ed
So the front seats fit perfectly. The airbag light was on at first because the plug for the seat belt sensor was different. I thought it was the airbag plug - maybe they are the same?

I ended up taking the seat belt plug from the old seats and using on the new leather MK6 seat. Worked perfectly and no lights on the dash. Took about 10 minutes to swap it out. One problem is that the power lumbar plug has no outlet on the floor of the car where the other plugs are. Not sure what can be done about that, but would likely need a new wire from there to the dash / fuse box? At this point, I don’t need the power lumbar unless someone has an idea of how to solve that.

In the mean time, I am looking for a rear seat from an MK6 2 door to find out if it will fit. I have found lots of sets on eBay, etc but I am hesitant to order them.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
If there wasn't a power line for lumbar on your MKV seats, then you'll have to run a new line for the MK6 seats. MK6 rear seat should fit just fine since both models share the same chassis. A guy here in town swapped both front and rear seats in his MKV GLI to MK6 leather seats.

As for air bag connectors, you can swap the connectors, but you just have to make sure the pinout matches your OE seat harness. Proceed at your own risk.

eliwise

Passed Driver's Ed
The plug wires from the seatbelt to the floor are the same color, but the plug was different. Swapping the seatbelt out ultimately placed the same colors into the same plug location if that makes sense. No more airbag light, no codes. I'll grab pictures when I pick up the passenger seat later today.

One difference to note for sure is that the vertical height adjustment has different range than on the cloth seats. I expect because the lumbar motor and other undersea clearance make it a bit lower even at the highest setting.

eliwise

Passed Driver's Ed
Front and backs are in. Issues remain:

1. Airbag light on from the passenger side. Tried to clear the code, but no luck it just returns. The odd part is that the plug harness is exactly the same on the new passenger seat as on the old one. It plugged right in. No issues. Still the light and been suck.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
You could try performing basic settings for the seat and see if that clears it:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/02511

If that doesn't do it, well...once again, proceed at your own risk.

Do you still have your OE seats? Under the passenger seat is a small box (PODS control module). I had to swap mine from the OE GTI seats to the Audi S5 seats I swapped into the car. Fortunately for me, the wiring harness for the PODS (Passenger Occupany Detection System) is identical between both seats. Wire colors were different, but it all wires up the same exact way. Best to check this before swapping the harness. Plus, there's a purple sticker thing on the box that says "do not remove" as VW doesn't want you playing with their safety systems.

eliwise

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks man! That was my next thought - to replace the module. I’ll have a look and map the wires. According to the stickers under the seat they are the same year. I am going to try the swap them this weekend to test it out. Might as well give this a shot if the plugs are the same. I’ll document with pictures so they can be passed along to anyone else giving this a shot.

I may have to pull the driver’s seat to work on the height adjustment anyway - it seems stuck at a setting that is a little too low for my liking.