GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 with multiple Issues

ripley711

Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV 2.0
I have a 2007 MKV GTI 2.0 Turbo FSI with the BPY engine, automatic with 185k miles. Last week the car shut off while driving at 45mph. The dash went dark and I was able to coast into a parking lot. The key was still in the on position and I turned it back to off when stopped. I tried to restart the car but the starter did not activate nor were there any clicks or sounds. The ignition is not lose meaning there is still spring tension behind the rotation of the key when turned. I sat there for a few minutes and tried again and the car started. It started rough and I was able to ago about 50 feet and the same thing occured, shut off, no dash lights and would not restart. Again the car started and I was able to get home without issue. Here the car has sat since.

I ran a scan and did not have any faults. I have noticed the drivers door indicator does not work on the dash and the same issues now occur with starting or not starting while in the driveway. Sometimes the dash indicators are on without the drivers door open while other times the dash is dark.

I have looked at potential issues of the Camshaft Positioning Sensor or Fuel Pump. The battery is an Interstate and was new last year. I have cleaned the battery terminals and checked the ground wire to the chassis from the battery.

Looking for any suggestions that may lead to determining the cause of this. The car is not relaiable at this point so I cannot drive it.

Last edited:

slag

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI, 2009 GTI
Try a new battery? It could have an internal fault.

I'm an idgit.. you have a new battery. Sorry.

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I have a 2007 MKV GTI 2.0 Turbo FSI with the BPY engine, automatic with 185k miles. Last week the car shut off while driving at 45mph. The dash went dark and I was able to coast into a parking lot. The key was still in the on position and I turned it back to off when stopped. I tried to restart the car but the starter did not activate nor were there any clicks or sounds. The ignition is not lose meaning there is still spring tension behind the rotation of the key when turned. I sat there for a few minutes and tried again and the car started. It started rough and I was able to ago about 50 feet and the same thing occured, shut off, no dash lights and would not restart. Again the car started and I was able to get home without issue. Here the car has sat since.

I ran a scan and did not have any faults. I have noticed the drivers door indicator does not work on the dash and the same issues now occur with starting or not starting while in the driveway. Sometimes the dash indicators are on without the drivers door open while other times the dash is dark.

I have looked at potential issues of the Camshaft Positioning Sensor or Fuel Pump. The battery is an Interstate and was new last year. I have cleaned the battery terminals and checked the ground wire to the chassis from the battery.

Looking for any suggestions that may lead to determining the cause of this. The car is not relaiable at this point so I cannot drive it.

Figure it out yet? what scan tool are you using to check for Dtc? Seems to me by the way the car is acting you would show Dtc.