GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk5 stock DP advice

lejtalens

Hi folks,

I'm looking for someone in California who would be willing to help a noob out.

I recently got a BB catted 3in downpipe and APR Stage 2+ tune. I did not do my research and did not keep my stock DP. I contacted my APR dealer and they said they don't have my DP anymore and suggest I look up the forums so here I am.

I'm looking for someone to rent me theirs for me to go get smog checked. If you got the time to help, let me know and we can deal.

If you have any advice for what I can do in the future, that would be welcome as well. I don't want to get a brand new stock DP. It's way above my means at the moment.

MK5 2.0t FSI

carbonduc27

Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4dr Stage2
Sorry I cannot help (I have the apr catted DP and did not keep my stock cat either). I was wondering if you went to stock map with the BB catted, could it still pass smog?

The issue would obviously be if the "ready" sensors were reading ok when the smog computer checks. Anyone know if a high flow cat can pass with stock map?

Maybe a spacer on the rear o2?

Just a thought that I was planning to try myself at some point.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
No they won’t pass cause they not “Cali cats”. Even aftermarket ones need the E.O. (Executive order number) stamped visibly on it. Magnaflow makes a weld in versions for my 3.2. Should’ve kept stock for bi-annual swap.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
I've read elsewhere that swapping to a stock pipe is the only way to go for us Cali drivers.

It’s the most common/ pain in the ass way to do it. They also test visual don’t forget. Aftermarket ones with a CARB # also acceptable. If they don’t offer the complete pipe, it’s a weld in heavy metal cat option, but in this state & New York & others with similar laws, it needs the executive order if it’s not factory. High flow cats are only legal obd1 which was like 26yrs ago plus vehicles. Some other states you get away with high flow cats or no cats cause there’s not too many foreigners & outta staters bedding down here clogging up the roads. Even tho reductions in coal burning made the air better here. The state still grabs cash from us every couple of yrs with same excuses. And the ****ers killed the bullet train which I would have used from San Jose, San Francisco to Los Angeles in few hrs, but that’s another frustrating topic.