GOLFMKV

MK5 GTI on the Cheap

doc280

Ready to race!
I take it this is not correct?
20200530_143348.jpg

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Ohhh yes indeed. But I don't understand how it happened, these bushing should resist horizontal forces but they are not designed to support vertical forces anyway, no? Could it be that the position of the dog bone isn't right?

doc280

Ready to race!
Perhaps the bushing being moved out of db. Was this "on the cheap" replacement by chance?? Appears to be a Made in China
Yes, you are correct, this part was a cheap part, that came with a engine mount kit, which I need to enter an entry about. The part is Chinese made and I just received a Czechoslovakian part to replace it.

Attachments

• 20200604_131906.jpg
    20200604_131906.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 125

doc280

Ready to race!
Ohhh yes indeed. But I don't understand how it happened, these bushing should resist horizontal forces but they are not designed to support vertical forces anyway, no? Could it be that the position of the dog bone isn't right?
Only one way to really install this mount. I won't pretend to know how all the forces react with this mount, but the aluminum member has come loose from the bushing and is in contact with the transmission. ( Yes, a lot a clunking sounds ) When I first saw this I thought the bolt was loose, but it is tight.

doc280

Ready to race!
This was a fun thread. Have any updates for us?
I really need to sit down and catch this thread up, maybe after baseball season.

I will give a brief now to let you guys how things are going.

The cheap Chinese suspension parts failed and have been replaced with original manufacturers parts.

The electric cheap Chinese parts have held up well.

I started reading about the cam timing chain failing, at about the 200,000 mile mark on the FSI, so as a preventive measure I replaced mine.

The GTI was hit , by another vehicle, on the left quarter panel. This was a low speed impact however it caused an estimated $2400.00 damage. I repaired it on a $100.00 budget, so not perfect but functional. The roof was also damaged by a homerun ball and this was also fixed on the cheap.

The GTI is still my daily and now has 235,916 miles.

Paul2468

Car(s)
Mk5 GTI
I really need to sit down and catch this thread up, maybe after baseball season.

I will give a brief now to let you guys how things are going.

The cheap Chinese suspension parts failed and have been replaced with original manufacturers parts.

The electric cheap Chinese parts have held up well.

I started reading about the cam timing chain failing, at about the 200,000 mile mark on the FSI, so as a preventive measure I replaced mine.

The GTI was hit , by another vehicle, on the left quarter panel. This was a low speed impact however it caused an estimated $2400.00 damage. I repaired it on a $100.00 budget, so not perfect but functional. The roof was also damaged by a homerun ball and this was also fixed on the cheap.

The GTI is still my daily and now has 235,916 miles.
Hi, I wanted to ask if you could release an update as soon as you have time, I would be very happy and it would certainly be interesting

Also have a mk5 gti with 200,000 miles

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Hi, I wanted to ask if you could release an update as soon as you have time, I would be very happy and it would certainly be interesting

Also have a mk5 gti with 200,000 miles
Also interested :)

It's been a long time I haven't been there. I am currently at 230'000 miles. Not much done since 2020 where I had to replace the struts bearings (and shocks front/rear at the same time but they were still OK), the coolant flange going to the heater core which was leaking and a rear wheel bearing that I already replaced (the Febi part failed after 15k miles...). Nothing else since then, car is running great.