GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 GTI on the Cheap

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I would actually say it's quite the opposite. A 200k miles car which is 10 years old has done 20k per year on average, implies probably mostly highway driving. It means probably much less gear changes (per mile), less suspension stress, engine almost always at running temperature and probably well serviced. While your 10 years 62k miles might have been driving exclusively in the city on short trips (it did on average 17 miles/day, so that would be 8.5 each way), thus rarely at ideal temperature, with lots of stress on the engine and suspension due to the frequent stop/start. In my opinion you don't really get any insurance of having less problems by paying a 4000$ premium.

I feel bad for my MK7 because of this. My current commute is 9 miles and I never see a speed limit above 45 mph. On colder days in the Winter, it can take almost my entire commute to get the oil temp up to 185 degrees. Some days that 9 miles can take over an hour :frown:

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
My 2007 GTI (FSI) (which we don't know TSI/FSI on this 2008) had 57K on it and maint. records when I bought it. Also a second owner car. I paid 9K 3 years ago. Now, it has 76K. Besides oil changes, I have replaced (once) Air cleaner, cabin air filter, fuel filter, plugs, tires, divert-er valve, brake booster vacuum tubes (cracked 'em replaceing the cam follower). I replaced the cam follower when I bought the car (not too bad but...) and again at 68K. I also flushed the brake fluid and replaced the coolant. Decarboned the intake valves. I paid $500.00 to an upholstery shop to do the headliner, door and side panels that were disintegrating and falling off of their backing. I have had the DSG serviced also at 70K just because it was acting quirky and that took care of it.
I had the head unit repaired for LCD display replacement (I took it out, mailed it away and re-installed it). I also replaced the passenger side mirror glass which just fell off as I was riding along. My next big maintenance interval is 80K where I will do the timing belt, drive belt, tension-er, pulley's and water pump. Other wise, I would say that if your staying on top of the maintenance, every car is a hole into which to pour money. It just better be a car you love or what's it all for? Oh, P.S. The car is bone stock and it's staying that way. I know, I know, suspension work is on the horizon. I don't add it up. Depression is no way to live. Besides, I actually like rice and beans! P.S. Rear brake pads at 64K.
:23:

doc280

Ready to race!
Baseball season maintenance

Baseball season has already started and I will be using the GTI to go to a total of 70 Minor League and Major League games. The GTI took me to all the minor league games last year, however the major league games, the wife and I either flew or drove one of the two Audi's. This year though we are going to drive the GTI to the Major League games. Knock on wood, the GTI has been doing so well, it just make sense to drive the GTI on these out of state trips. No TSA, no rental cars, no worries about putting on the mileage and no worries about door dings (no I do not like door dings, but a door ding in my GTI is not the end of the world, a door ding to my blue car would be).

I like doing maintenance to the cars at this time of the year, not to cold, not to hot.

Here are the things I need to do to get ready for the trips ahead.

1) Change oil and filter.

2) The two hoses connected to the auxillary water pump are swollen and soft, need to be replaced. All the other coolant hose seem fine. Going to flush system and replace coolant.

3) The smaller of the two radiator fans has stopped working. Either have to repair or replace.

4) Right parking brake cable is rusting and is sticking after driving in the rain.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
3) The smaller of the two radiator fans has stopped working. Either have to repair or replace.

I think it's pretty common on these cars. Some people have gotten lucky by just dropping the assembly and blowing out dirt and debris and it has started working again. I had to replace mine when the car was 9 years old and had 128,252 miles on it. I found an OEM part on eBay for $43.96.

doc280

Ready to race!
Oil Changed

Changed the engine oil and filter. This is the first time I used the oil filter housing tool and I did not get any oil on the floor. If you do not have one get one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liqui Moly Leightlauf High Tech 5W40 Motor Oil - 5 L - Napa - $35.99

Oil Filter - Mann+Hummel - Napa - $13.04

Cost / Maintenance ---------- $5899.98
Miles Driven ------------------ 11,840
------------------------------------------------
Cost Per Mile ---------------- $0.50

Attachments

• IMG_20170907_181707-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_20170907_181707-768x1024.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_20180430_130006-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20180430_130006-1024x768.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 398

doc280

Ready to race!
Replaced Auxiliary Water Pump Hoses

Replaced the two auxiliary water pump hoses, flushed the system and put in new coolant.

It was only the bottom part of the hoses, which connect to the auxiliary water pump, that were swollen and soft. I suspect the area where the axillary water pump is located, subject these hoses, to more temperature changes and weather elements, than any of the other coolant hoses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pentofrost E Coolant (5 Liters) - Advance Auto - $33.75

Rein Coolant Hose -------------- Advance Auto - $14.99

OEM Auxiliary Water Pump Hose - eEuroparts.com - $17.63

Cost / Maintenance ---------- $5966.35
Miles Driven ------------------ 11,863

Attachments

• IMG_20180511_120832-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_20180511_120832-768x1024.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 372

doc280

Ready to race!
Radiator Fans Have Seen Better Days.

I removed the radiator fans and disassembled the small fan, which had stopped working. I was hoping the brushes were stuck and I would be able to free them up and all would be good. However once inside I found the brushes were near depleted and the springs were corroded and broke. I was able to stretch the remaining portion of the springs so the brushes would be pushed against the commutator. This has got the fans running temporarily until my new fans arrive.

Attachments

• IMG_20180417_141512-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20180417_141512-1024x768.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20180417_142447-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20180417_142447-1024x768.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_20180417_150144-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20180417_150144-1024x768.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 353

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Still following your progress on your car :) quite nice.

Just a quick question regarding the fans. You say that the brushes are depleted but it doesn't seem so looking at them, are you sure they are not simply stuck?

doc280

Ready to race!
Still following your progress on your car :) quite nice.

Just a quick question regarding the fans. You say that the brushes are depleted but it doesn't seem so looking at them, are you sure they are not simply stuck?

Yes, the spring, which is intact, is near fully expanded. These brushes start life fairly long and though it looks as if there is plenty of life left, they are becoming to short for the spring to push on them.

Now I could probably look around to source some springs, however when I put everything back together, including lubricating the motors, the smaller fan squeals, when it goes into high speed.

The brush, with the broken spring, was stuck. If you look close you will see the white lubricant I used to get it free.

I think it is just time to replace them, especially with some long trips, in the hot summer, coming up.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Yes, you could probably source brushes and springs but as you say it's not worth the hassle, especially if they make noise.

How did you see it was not working? Just because one was stopped? Or is it a way to test them like with VCDS?

I don't think the car would overheat with only one fan though but it's probably better from an A/C standpoint if they both run.

doc280

Ready to race!
Yes, you could probably source brushes and springs but as you say it's not worth the hassle, especially if they make noise.

How did you see it was not working? Just because one was stopped? Or is it a way to test them like with VCDS?

I don't think the car would overheat with only one fan though but it's probably better from an A/C standpoint if they both run.

Just noticed the fan noise level had increased and just looked. The large fan was the only one working. These fans, if working properly, will always run at the same time. If only one fan is running something is wrong. There are different speeds the fans will work at, but if the small fan is out, the large fan will kick in at high speed, by default. The circuitry for the fans is located on the backside of the large fan motor and controls both of the fans.

Just turn on the AC and within a moment the fans should turn on. I am not sure if there is a VCDS test, but I never received any fault codes nor were there any codes when I plugged into the car.

doc280

Ready to race!
New Fans Blowing Fresh Air

I took delivery of a complete radiator fan assembly and I installed it. All is working well though there are a few differences between the OEM assembly and this after market one.

When I unboxed the new assembly the rubber flaps were detached and when I did attach them, they were not holding on well. So I applied some weather adhesive to each rubber flap and install them. I don't thick they will ever think of leaving us now.

The first thing you guys will notice, when you look at the pictures, are the fan blades,on the aftermarket assembly, are reversed. No need to worry though, the motors run reverse of the OEM assembly.

Also the aftermarket blades have a little more pitch to them, so at full speed, they make a little more noise, but they are moving more air.

The other thing different is the female plug is flipped the opposite of of the OEM. This does not create a problem, just rotate the cars male plug and insert.

The new assembly is plug and play and mounted to the car with zero modifications being done.

I was able to purchase this fan assembly much cheaper than OEM and I received a two year protection plan with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prime Choice Auto Parts FA720807 Radiator Cooling Dual Fan Assembly --- Amazon --- with optional two year protection plan ----- $89.17

Cost / Maintenance ---------- $5055.52
Miles Driven ------------------ 12,111

Attachments

• IMG_20180501_174415-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_20180501_174415-768x1024.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20180501_174505-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20180501_174505-1024x768.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 344

baynehh

New to the game.
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Thanks for the review on that Hizpo system! I got one a few weeks ago and have been pretty happy with it. Unfortunately all the other maintenance this thing has taken is crushing my will to live.

doc280

Ready to race!
Thanks for the review on that Hizpo system! I got one a few weeks ago and have been pretty happy with it. Unfortunately all the other maintenance this thing has taken is crushing my will to live.

Your welcome. Since my GTI is being used for longer trips, I have been using the Bluetooth media link, with the Pandora app on my phone, works great. I still say for the money this radio is a wonderful deal.