GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 GTI on the Cheap

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The hazing will return. It starts to happen when the special coating from the factory wears off. You either have to apply some sort of sealant or just get used to cleaning them every couple months or so. My wife's Honda Fit has this problem and I just compound --> polish --> wax them by hand every few months and they're good as new (Meguiars Ultimate line of products).

doc280

Ready to race!
Six Foot or Six Beers, She looks good.

OK, I have to be realistic, my GTI has its fair share of road rash, chips in the paint, scratches, and slight door dings so she is never going to been a show piece. But with a little work, I believed a goal of making her look good at six feet away was very possible.

So I removed the old peeling emblems, touched up the chipped paint, buffed the entire car and gave her three coats of wax.

The grills were looking faded and the red trim was peeling and was looking pink. I had a can of satin black plastic paint and a can of red paint. The grills were removed, the red trim separated from the center grill and all were painted.

The GTI had some deep scratches created by a previous front mounted licence plate. I was going to replace the front grill for $60, but located a plate in my stash of stuff and covered the scratches with it.

I replaced the original emblems with 20th anniversary style emblems.

I do like the R32 wheels which came on the GTI, but they have touched more than one curb. I hate curbed wheels, kinda like a pet peeve, so I have been studying up about DIY wheel repair. The problem is the center caps are corroded and I have no clue as to how to fix them and new one are pricey. Looking around the inter-web I found a R32 center cap delete solution. So I purchased the parts needed and deleted the center caps and I love the new look and I am looking forward to refurbishing the wheels.

Touch-up Paint ----------------------- Ebay --- $7.00
Rear GTI Emblem -------------------- Ebay --- $12.90
Front GTI Emblem ------------------- Ebay --- $5.89
65mm Blue/Chrome Center Caps --- Ebay --- $10.00
Audi Gloss Black Lug Covers ------- Ebay --- $3.00
Rear Wiper/Washer Cap ----------- Ebay --- $2.19

Cost / Maintenance ---- $4392.53
Miles Driven ----------- 1263
--------------------------------------
Cost Per Mile ----------- $3.48

Attachments

• IMG_20170328_115951-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170328_115951-1024x768.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_20170328_114952-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170328_114952-1024x768.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 764
  • IMG_20170328_115655-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170328_115655-1024x768.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_20170328_115754-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170328_115754-1024x768.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_20170328_115152-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170328_115152-1024x768.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 757

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well man I have to say I'm impressed, seems like you're on track for a cheap GTI! Good to see you taking care of it and getting it fixed back up. Watching closely to see how this plays out lol good term. I'd kill myself if I ever calculated cost per mile on either of mine lol.

Really like the blue center caps, car cleaned up well!

doc280

Ready to race!
Thanks guys. When I saw the blue center caps I did not hesitate with the purchase. The classic blue VW throws a pop of color contrast against the silver wheels and red calipers. Could have gone either way, flat black VW lug covers or the Audi gloss black lug covers, but worked out a deal for two sets, of the Audi covers for six bucks. I needed an additional set of Audi covers.

Question: Did Volkswagen do the GTI calipers in a flat red or are mine suffering from old age?

I want to redo the wheels in charcoal gray, but my loving wife has used her veto power and the wheels, when redone, will remain silver.

doc280

Ready to race!
Inside updated: Just had to do it.

OK did not need any of the following things, but I really needed them, because it was bugging the crap out of me.

The aluminium trim was dinged,scratched and just plain out looked bad. I had some leftover gloss black vinyl wrap, so I put it to good use.

The aftermarket radio, which came with the GTI, looked like it came from the 90's and performed even worse. I must confess I have got use to having a radio with navigation, bluetooth, multimedia and vehicle info display and I wanted one. I searched the net and of course started reading about the Chinese radios which offer all these features, look OEM, but the prices looked to good to believe. Then Amazon advertised the Hizpo VW 7in Radio / GPS for $159 and for $14 more a four year replacement warranty.
I bought it and it is truly plug and play, but I did buy a couple item to make it better.

First, the radio did not come with a back-up camera, so got one which replaces the left licence plate light. It has an LED light so had to purchase an error free LED bulb for the right side to get the lights to match.

The other thing was the GPS antenna was placed under the dash vent, but the metal screen did interfere with the signal. Pulled the vent and replaced it with the dash tray and this made a huge difference it the signal strength.

So far this radio is great, it connects with canbus, steering wheel controls work, heck everything is working correctly. Very very hard to beat the bang for the buck with this one.

The gear shifter knob and boot were worn out and just looked really bad. I found a new knob and boot which I liked. The new knob installed just as the original, but I had to modify the boot to get it to work. The knob and boot are Seat Leon parts and I must say I really like the feel of this knob better then the original one.

While I had the gear shifter apart I refinished the gear shift plate. I sanded it down to its bare white plastic and painted it with satin black plastic paint.

I purchased a good used ashtray, which came with a ESP button to replace my wrinkled up, scratched up one.

Auto Headlight Switch, have I really got this lazy? At $27.50, yes I have.

And this is a must, one of the most important things I have to have in a car, because I don't like my cases of beer shaken or stirred. One OEM cargo net.

Hizpo VW 7in Radio / warranty ---- Amazon --- $173.00
Center Dash Tray ------------------- Ebay ------ $22.98
Back-up Camera -------------------- Ebay ------ $14.50
Error Free LED Bulb ----------------- Ebay ------ $4.22
Seat Leon DSG Knob / Boot -------- Ebay ------ $46.15
Used Ashtray with ESP Switch ----- Ebay------- $25.00
Auto Headlight Switch -------------- Ebay ------ $27.50
OEM Cargo Net --------------------- Ebay ------- $18.00

Cost / Maintenance --- $4723.88
Miles Driven ----------- 1316
-------------------------------------
Cost Per Mile ---------- $3.59

Attachments

• IMG_20170329_100239-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170329_100239-1024x768.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_20170329_100320-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170329_100320-1024x768.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_20170329_100416_kindlephoto-842773-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170329_100416_kindlephoto-842773-1024x768.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_20170321_163541-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_20170321_163541-768x1024.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,056
  • IMG_20170329_100446-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170329_100446-1024x768.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 1,046

doc280

Ready to race!
Victim Of The Bean Counters.

I was looking forward to the upcoming World Baseball Classic and needed to prepare with snacks and beverages Drove to the store and loaded the back of the GTI with all the necessities, securing them with the newly acquired cargo net. Cranked her up and got the bright yellow light indicating a light was out. First thought was the error free LED licence plate bulb, I had used, was the problem, but then the MFD show it was the left reverse light.

Tracked the problem down to the wiring at the hinged area of the hatch. Using regular wire for this area is not ideal, so I will go out on a limb and say a Bean Counter, said it would last long enough. ( Got to give him or her credit it did. )

I cut the bad wire out, soldered, and heat shrinked, in some new. I believe this is only a temporary fix, but plan on a more permanent repair in the future. I think replacing the wires in this are with flexible silicone wire will solve any reoccurring issues.

Cost / Maintenance ---- $4723.88
Miles Driven --------- 1320
------------------------------------
Cost Per Mile --------- $3.58

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_20170317_104204-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170317_104204-1024x768.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 683

larcic

Ready to race!
I'm starting to wonder If I should check mine or wait until I have an issue. I seen alot of people have to fix this

doc280

Ready to race!
Drive Belt Tensioner

Since the mechtronics was was replaced, under recall, I have noticed a sound I described as a growl, while in car. I have stated from the beginning this noise could have been there before the mechtronics was changed and I just did not notice it. I sometimes look for gremlins after a repair.

When I was replacing the timing belt I noticed there was a small chip out of the drive belt tensioner pulley. The bearing felt OK and a small chip was no big deal, so I just reinstalled the old tensioner.

Well since then I have noticed the tensioner had a lot motion (like a bounce ) in it, as if one of the pulleys was out of round. All the pulleys looked good and I knew the defect with the drive belt tensioner, so I decided to replace it, not expecting a big change.

Very surprised and I really would not have guess a new tensioner, would have got rid of the motion, but it also got rid of the growling sound I had been hearing inside the GTI. Only thing I can come up with is the tensioner imbalance was transmitting a resonance vibration which became audible in the cabin. Regardless I am very happy with the results.

Drive Belt Tensioner ---- Ebay --- $20.90

Cost / Maintenance ----- $4744.78
Miles Driven -------------- 3027
-------------------------------------------
Cost Per Mile ------------- $1.57

Attachments

• IMG_20170407_163207_hdr-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170407_163207_hdr-1024x768.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_20170407_163331-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_20170407_163331-768x1024.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 662

Zach L

VR junkie
Awesome working so far!

FYI in 2008, VW started using a different, more durable 'soft touch' coating for the door and dash pieces, which doesn't peel or scratch away like your short cover probably did. If you have other switches and pieces that are looking worn, replacing with the newer pieces is an option as well.

doc280

Ready to race!
Here's To Free Front Fenders and a Rocker.

As you all know my GTI looks good at about six feet away or six beers and part of the issue which causes this is the front fenders and the left rocker. All these parts have rust which is eaten through the parts and the paint is popping and coming off.

I have been searching for parts to repair this and have only collected a left front fender so far. But this past weekend I came across a couple TSB's which cover the rusted fenders and rocker.

So today I went, with a little knowledge, to my local VW dealer and they inspected the car. They checked the paint thickness, for panel repairs and replacement and for any signs of a crash. The service manager said he would let me know by Friday if VW was going to fix the GTI.

Keeping my fingers crossed, because free is even better than cheap.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I am impressed... when I saw this thread pop up I was very hesitant about the outcome. But man have you been proving me wrong! Part of me wishes I had tried to budget build either of my MKV's but the mod bug is just too damn string in me. I just can't leave a car alone lol. Props for doing this man, show all those people who say German cars are money pits what's up!

Edit: I also really like the gloss black on all the trim, really classes up the interior!

doc280

Ready to race!
I am impressed... when I saw this thread pop up I was very hesitant about the outcome. But man have you been proving me wrong! Part of me wishes I had tried to budget build either of my MKV's but the mod bug is just too damn string in me. I just can't leave a car alone lol. Props for doing this man, show all those people who say German cars are money pits what's up!

Edit: I also really like the gloss black on all the trim, really classes up the interior!

Thanks for the kind words and I must say I am impressed with both of your cars, with just a wee bit of jealousy of the fun you are going to have with the track car.

I have to confess I believe I am becoming a little attached to the GTI. It does remind me of the 73 Beetle I had during high school, with the whole keeping it alive on a shoestring budget.

Come to think of it, this is the first budget car I have had since the Beetle. Not for the lack of trying, it seems every time I purchased a quote on quote budget car, I would end up doing a ground up and then would not even drive it in the rain.

The trim is a easy DIY and vinyl wrap is a inexpensive way of repairing the fragile aluminum. I personally think the gloss black looks better than the aluminum, but I not sure if it is the best color to suit the GTI's interior. I am one of the few people on this planet, which despises the look of carbon fiber, but I think it might look better than the gloss black.

By the way I have to do something with the door cards, the cloth bits look horrendous. Kind of thinking about redoing them in black, but maybe using perforated vinyl, like Porsche used to use for headliners, way back in the day.

doc280

Ready to race!
Cargo Protection System, For My Old Friend.

My old friend, Charles (I have always called him Pork Chop) has several health issues , diabetes, thyroid problems and takes a mild form of chemo.
Anyway he has to be taken to the doctor a lot and it scares the pee out of him. I can not blame him, over the last ten years every time I go to the doctor they start replacing my parts with metal parts, then recall the metal parts and put in new metal parts. Otherwise what I am getting at is, going to the doctor just about scares the pee out of me.

So I started looking for a rubber mat for the cargo area of the GTI. The custom fitted mats get pricey for the MK5 and I did not find a cheap China version. I did see the ones which can be cut to fit the MK5, but there would be no outer raised lip, to keep liquids from escaping the mat.

I found a used Cargo Protection System, which VW used to sell, on Ebay, but it was for a MK6. I read a little about it and read it also fits a MK5 GTI, so I made an offer which was accepted.

I like the mat, it is a perfect fit and the security blocks are really nice. It is easy to remove and clean if there are any accidents.

Cargo Protection System ---- Ebay ---- $45.00

Cost / Maintenance ----- $4789.78
Miles Driven -------------- 3089
-------------------------------------------
Cost Per Mile ------------- $1.55

Attachments

• 20170406_165702-1024x577.jpg
    20170406_165702-1024x577.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_20170411_162749_kindlephoto-85706314-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_20170411_162749_kindlephoto-85706314-1024x768.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 599

numbah

Different GTI, same boat!

The headlights on the GTI did not work well as the right one lit up the night sky and the left one pointed at the ground. Also the they had the foggy haze going on.

I removed the headlights and found the bulbs were installed incorrectly. Since everything was apart it was a great time to install new bulbs, which I did.

I used the 3M Headlight Restore Kit to remove the foggy haze.

Maxlux 4300K D2S Bulbs ---- Ebay --- $28.00
3M Headlight Restoration Kit -- Advance Auto--- $20.69

Cost / Maintenance --- $4351.55
Miles Driven ------- 1145
-------------------------------------
Cost Per Mile --------- $3.80

Hey doc, we have very similar vehicle stories!

I bought an '07 GTI (2.0T FSI) in November 2016 for my fiancee. We were looking for a fun but economic solution. To her, this meant a 2 door car with plaid seats. To me, these seemed like horrendous metrics for choosing any car, but I found an Mk5 with 127,000 miles (2 prior owners) and a clean title that I would have no regrets selling in a couple of years.

We've had similar issues with the lights. Mine also came with HIDs and one installed incorrectly. Interestingly, the person who ordered the replacement didn't buy cheap parts since there was one Philips and one Sylvania D2S bulbs in the fittings:

The output from them has been poor even with proper installation (and headlight cleaning). From my research, I don't think the there's any need to tinker with the auto-level alignment via Ross Tech VCDS if they're original headlights, no accidents, right? The throw distance is much shorter than other cars I've driven. I've considered using the screwdriver approach to manually adjust the lights but am interested in your experience and advice.

Also, please keep us posted about what the dealer says. I also have a couple of paint chip, circular rust spots, too. They're in the front hood of the car, though, so I don't know if the same TSB for fender/rocker panels would apply. It's been on my list of things to research since I'm sure that they'll only get more prominent over time.

I'm excited to follow your work. I too have gotten more invested in this car as I've worked on it over the past 5-6 months. We'll have to keep each other accountable to not let this go from cheap pet projects to cars that we're afraid to drive in the rain!

Matt