GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 GTI EVAP Emission Control Sys P0441 - 002 - Incorrect Flow - Intermittent

Robert aoun

Ready to race!
Guys how to check the Evap purge control valve i have the po444 fault and my car lost all power the code say evap purge control valve (N80) circuit open-MIL on

Richipaldi

Car(s)
09 GTI DSG
Hello guys. Look for the "How to replace N80 canister purge valve?" thread. Sanzio delivers a step by step charcoal canister cleanup. It fixes the P0441 incorrect flow DTC. The thread might help a few of you. The procedure doesn't apply for "leaks", however you will find other possible solutions for the "leak" issues. Good luck bros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Hi guys!

I am getting the same error over and over (only P0441 incorrect flow). Before it took time to show up in VCDS and did not trigger a MIL so I just ignored it. But now it is there frequently and often triggers a MIL ON when stuck in traffic for a few minutes with an hot engine. So it has developed progressively.

I ran the output test on the N80 and it seems to click well. Moreover I disassembled it and tried to blow through. There was quite a bit of resistance but I could still blow through (like if you did it on a functional closed thermostat) not a complete sealing but takes pressure to blow through. Not sure if it is supposed to be completely sealed or not?

As the issue was very intermittent and slowly worsening, I guess it is either a clogged pipe, N80 or saturated cannister or gas cap? The car runs good apart from that.

What would you say?

Thanks

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Hi guys!

I am getting the same error over and over (only P0441 incorrect flow). Before it took time to show up in VCDS and did not trigger a MIL so I just ignored it. But now it is there frequently and often triggers a MIL ON when stuck in traffic for a few minutes with an hot engine. So it has developed progressively.

I ran the output test on the N80 and it seems to click well. Moreover I disassembled it and tried to blow through. There was quite a bit of resistance but I could still blow through (like if you did it on a functional closed thermostat) not a complete sealing but takes pressure to blow through. Not sure if it is supposed to be completely sealed or not?

As the issue was very intermittent and slowly worsening, I guess it is either a clogged pipe, N80 or saturated cannister or gas cap? The car runs good apart from that.

What would you say?

Thanks

So after I had a look at the N80 and did output tests on it the car would sometimes not start at all (starts always on second attempt). So I ordered a new N80 and to answer my own question on the new one you cannot blow through at all so it is a confirmation that mine was defective. Will see if it starts well now :)

EDIT: After replacing the N80 the car works much better. Starts much easier, idle fuel consumption with a warm engine is also down by about ~0.1l/h and for now P441 hasn't come back :)

Last edited:

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
I ended up replacing all 4 components in order to shift this error.

Fuel cap.
N80 solenoid.
Charcoal can.
Charcoal can rigid hose.

Bear in mind there are no long term fuel trims when this error is present in the ECU.

DopeGTI

I have had thebexact same error for the last 5 years. It comes on for a vouple days then it goes away. Happens every 5weeks or so.

I have tried most solution except a smoke test to check for leaks.

These days i just delete the CEL.

Following thread to see if you do find the culprit.

irishbaz

Whats the consensus on these PRC valves? I'm considering replacing the charcoal canister also - do these cheaper canisters work effectively?

Ive seen bosche make the valves also, are they any good over the oem ones?

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Just done the n80 valve for this error, time will tell

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Richipaldi

Car(s)
09 GTI DSG
I opened the charcoal canister with a cutter very carefully and cleaned the activated charcoal with water and dish soap. Until no more dark water comes out of bucket. Sun dried it for a day and put everything back. Closed the canister with high temp black silicone and 3 very small screws, no more P0441 code. I changed my N80 3 years ago and did not fix my issue.

There is a tutorial video in YouTube. Worked like magic.

https://youtu.be/KMs4HFwzROc

Hope it helps lads.

Best regards from Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk