GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire on cold start.

Cavykris

Car(s)
MK5 GTi
Hi All,

I have searched and searched through what feels like hundreds of misfire topics here and cant quite get a grasp on the issue I am having. MK5 GTI FSI, engine. 123,000km's
I have a check engine light popping up only on cold starts or when the car sits overnight. P0300 and P0301. Over the last 6 months or so I noticed a slight judder or stumble at idle (Warm) but no check engine lights. Sometimes it will do it, sometimes not. Very intermittent. Fast-forward to now. On cold starts for the last week, the engine light comes on when its moving from its cold start high idle to the warm idle of around 800rpm's. During this transition it will stumble and judder and even get the odd little back fire or pop sound out of the exhaust. This is when the check engine light is triggered for the misfire. Hot/warm starts-no CEL. No misfire felt or CEL triggered when I'm driving or at wide open throttle.

Scanning with the obdeleven. It is showing a static status, frequency counter of 1. Priority 0 on both codes. Clear them and they will only return on the cold start up.

I have replaced the following over the last 6 months chasing the intermittent idle misfire and now this cold start issue. Its obviously getting worse if it is related.
In the last 6-8,000km's I have replaced or addressed the following. Some just for maintenance.
-Spark plugs have been replaced with OEM and I have moved them to different cylinders just to make sure they are ok. No change
-Coil packs have been swapped around as well. No change
- Carbon clean done 8,000km's ago- also scrubbed all of the injector tips to remove any carbon on them
-New fuel filter
-New PVC
-Checked for vacuum leaks with spray
-Cam follower has been replaced
- water pump/timing belt replaced
-fuel pressure is good - checked with VCDS
-compression test done 2 times- last one a couple days ago and all cylinders are reading 185
-run a couple cans of liquimoly injector cleaner through the system

I feel like the only thing left is the number 1 injector. If they were easy to swap between cylinders I would but as you know its a bit of work to get the intake manifold off just to swap around the injectors, and they are not cheap to just replace for fun. I would think if I had a injector leaking overnight, I would smell fuel from the exhaust on start up or have fuel smell in the oil, both of which I don't. I am wondering if the injector is slightly clogged or the spray pattern is off and its only showing the issue at idle. Has anyone had a issue similar to this? Anyone out there have any insight?

Cheers guys.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Never saw your post...not sure why not. With all else seemingly being good, I might've leaned toward injector function. In the future for a single cylinder misfire, try first swapping a coil from a known good cylinder. Then just the plug. Finally, swap both an injector and plug together from a working cylinder. If no improvement is made (still misfires) with any of the swaps...then it is likely an injector in that cylinder. Provided nothing is restricting airflow or valve seating. To determine valve seating you would want a Leak Down test performed.

Cavykris

Car(s)
MK5 GTi
Never saw your post...not sure why not. With all else seemingly being good, I might've leaned toward injector function. In the future for a single cylinder misfire, try first swapping a coil from a known good cylinder. Then just the plug. Finally, swap both an injector and plug together from a working cylinder. If no improvement is made (still misfires) with any of the swaps...then it is likely an injector in that cylinder. Provided nothing is restricting airflow or valve seating. To determine valve seating you would want a Leak Down test performed.

Thanks for the reply. We did of course do the easy stuff. Swapping coils and plugs around. The manifold needs to come off to swap the injectors around. I was hoping to verify it with out having to go that far, or take the manifold on and off a couple times LOL. Everything I found here was in reference to leaking injectors but that wasn't the case with mine. This was a dirty injector in the end. Cheers