GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mirror glass falling off is apparently a thing?

Last friday i was driving to work in the morning and noticed that the driver's side mirror glass was vibrating.

And then i saw it fall right off the heated backing.

80mph on the freeway so what am i gonna do. I got the (terrible) cut-and-stick temporary mirror and ordered some aspherical mirror glass.

That showed up last night. Highly recommend for visibility reasons. I got cheap ebay ones. Will post a mini-review later. The short version: pretty good at $50 for the pair!

Anyway, I was just out on my lunch hour replacing the passenger side mirror glass and noted that the original mirror glass on that side is hanging onto the heated backing by about a nickel sized patch of adhesive, and was probably not too far from falling off in traffic too.

As for what causes this i have no clue. This car has lived in utah and arizona, so it could be extreme heat or cold/freeze/ice issues. And i do use the heated mirror feature.

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I have had both mirrors loose the adhesion, I have the european mirros with the dual curves.

I used some high temp silicone sealant to re-attach the mirror and have had no issues since.

I do use my mirrors a bit with the extreme cold here!

i am loving the aspherical mirrors.

Except that rush hour traffic with assholes passing me on the right for no god damned reason (asynchronous stop and go in all lanes) is fucking terrifying when getting used to them.

Harabo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf mkv 2005
I have noticed my left mirror vibrating myself, gonna check that out before it falls off!

I don't know what kind of adhesive to suggest to stick these back together. I have heard that the solvents in contact cement will damage the silvering on the glass.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I used a concrete/epoxy type of glue on my right side mirror. Has held up, the only thing I didn't take into consideration is that it takes longer for that side to defrost with the heated element.

maybe gorilla glue or plpremium or other polyurethane, applied with a razor blade to the back of the mirror and then clamped?

*shrug*

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
maybe gorilla glue or plpremium or other polyurethane, applied with a razor blade to the back of the mirror and then clamped?

*shrug*

We did something to that effect. My father had some old stuff laying around so we used that (I think Gorilla glue was used the first time but it didn't last) and then clamped it for a few hours.

It's been holding in this -5 degree weather we've had.

Method82

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
70 bucks a piece from the dealer. And i was 200 miles out of my warranty.

70 bucks a piece from the dealer. And i was 200 miles out of my warranty.

That's why i went with ebay aspherical at $55 for the set. The quality isn't exactly OEM but the optics and the heat work just fine. loving them.

Brigand253

Ready to race!
Sorry to necro and old thread, but it seems that almost all threads are old threads on GolfMKV now [emoji14]

Anyways, my driver side mirror came apart so I replaced it with OEM part 5M0857521D.

Just a heads up, the new glass has a slight tint to it and even looks distorted somewhat.

The part I ordered is supposed to be the standard flat glass so I guess this is just how they are now.

Just a heads up to anyone else that needs to do this.

Brigand253

Ready to race!
Funny... Mine also vibrated to the point it fell off. Put some 3m double sided tape, good to
Go.

That's exactly what I wanted to do, and as I was disconnecting the second wire for the heating element, crash! Dropped the mirror and it shattered. Too bad because it seems like glass isn't as good now [emoji30]

Sorry to necro and old thread, but it seems that almost all threads are old threads on GolfMKV now [emoji14]

Anyways, my driver side mirror came apart so I replaced it with OEM part 5M0857521D.

Just a heads up, the new glass has a slight tint to it and even looks distorted somewhat.

The part I ordered is supposed to be the standard flat glass so I guess this is just how they are now.

Just a heads up to anyone else that needs to do this.

If it's distorted it's not seated all the way