GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mirror blinker install

mikegabriel

Banned
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
This was one of the best things I did to my BMP GTI, I would recommend it for anyone thinking about it. It took about 20 minutes to do. The mirror housing is built rock solid and I had no worries about snapping something.

tranceporter

F**K YOU CAM FOLLOWERS
Car(s)
'08 BMP GTI
great write up. Helped me out alot

Sagerabbit

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
Awesome write up. :coolpics:

The clip closest to the car that hold on the housing is a bit of a pain to get to with a screwdriver imo, so I unclipped the outer one and as i pulled the housing up I also pulled the medial housing forward to clear the awkward clip. I'm DIY'ing the tint on the blinker and so far it looks awesome! I also used a vice grip to pull off the wires to the blinkers. Tight!

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
nice writeup. I have a set to put on my RS in about 3 weeks. will be refering to this then.

on.your.left

Ready to race!
Excellent write-up and pics! I just removed my OE UG mirror covers and signals and replaced them with a set of the R-line textured mirror covers and in.Pro smoked signals!

Before:

After:

Cheers,
Mike B.

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
^ I may be interested. Currently have the smoked sidemarkers, so it'd only make sense to go with the mirror signals as well.
I'll let you know. :thumbsup:

TN GTI

Volkswagger
Ok. So I just used these pictures and instructions to take my turn signals off so i could tint them.
I didn't do a great job with the tinting. I think i did it a little too dark. But Oh well. This thread helped a lot. I'm going to do my friends tomorrow hopefully during the day. lol since it's 3:18 am here and i just finished.

2.0FSbri

2500 miles/month
Car(s)
2006 GTi
Ok so 2 things:

1. Is there anyone else who had a problem with a warped mirror after this install. I know it sounds crazy, but yesterday (103 degrees here in Baltimore) I tore my housing apart because my mirror signal stopped working. It went without a hitch, but when i put it all back together I noticed that my driver side mirror is like a fun house mirror. Everything is kinda squashed and wavy. I suspect that the overwhelming heat combined with me prying on the mirror to pop it out caused this? Does that even make sense?

2. Is there anyone who has swapped out for the smoked signals who wants to get rid of your stock signals. VW wants $45 for one signal. I can get the smoked for about that from TM but if someone wants to get rid of theirs for $20 or something, I'd rather just do that.

2.0FSbri

2500 miles/month
Car(s)
2006 GTi
Ok so 2 things:

1. Is there anyone else who had a problem with a warped mirror after this install. I know it sounds crazy, but yesterday (103 degrees here in Baltimore) I tore my housing apart because my mirror signal stopped working. It went without a hitch, but when i put it all back together I noticed that my driver side mirror is like a fun house mirror. Everything is kinda squashed and wavy. I suspect that the overwhelming heat combined with me prying on the mirror to pop it out caused this? Does that even make sense?

2. Is there anyone who has swapped out for the smoked signals who wants to get rid of your stock signals. VW wants $45 for one signal. I can get the smoked for about that from TM but if someone wants to get rid of theirs for $20 or something, I'd rather just do that.

Ok. Nevermind. The mirror was hanging up and not popping in all the way... so when I picked up the inpro smoked markers at NGP and reassembled everything... it all went back to normal.

Excellent writeup. It helped a lot.

Last edited:

V-DubbinLOW

Stanced
Car(s)
Some low hoe
Hmm, how do you guys actually take out the whole mirror housing? I just ordered a smoked mirror set and was just wondering. :iono:

if you havent done so already, after you pop off the mirror itself, there are 3 torx screws, remove all three and push out tabs be careful when doing so i broke one tab i didnt make a dibb but more than one ur gunna have to but a new mirror housing
hope this helps, is funny before i owned my gti i did every DIY mod to my homies Fahrenheit, and mad did that thing look dope. now im bein lazy on my car lol im goin to spray my mirror signals light smoke, enjoy your nights all peace..
next week after CHP inspection R32 DIY mod