GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Metal plate hanging down from bottom of car!

Sj7

Hi Guys,

Recently purchased a 2005 Golf TDI. Great car. Put on a couple new tires today and noticed a metal plate hanging down from underneath, around the drivers seat area (on the right here in New Zealand). A guy on MK7 forum said this was the 'fuel cooler for the return line' and a known problem. I haven't been able to find any info on how to go about fixing it, or for that matter, any info at all.

Obviously the bolt securing this plate has broken in half somehow. I'm wondering how I can go about about repairing it as the bolt is broken and there is no visible access? Anyone run across this before?

Thanks,

Sj

Attachments

• SAM_0610.JPG
    SAM_0610.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 3,884

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
stud broke on the fuel cooler

Sj7

thanks tmw - now looking for a fix. Any ideas? Obviously can't replace the old stud with a new as there's no access. I'm sure someone else has had this happen and thought of something!

BAMF

Ready to race!
I can't say from experience, but if it were me I would try a nutsert. If that doesn't hold up in that thin metal, then maybe a sheet metal screw slightly larger in diameter than the hole.

Sj7

Thanks BAMF. Probably going to have to do something along those lines. Just thought there might be some people who have had this happen and could tell me their fix. Not a lot of info about it on the net for a supposedly known issue.

matt5100

Thanks BAMF. Probably going to have to do something along those lines. Just thought there might be some people who have had this happen and could tell me their fix. Not a lot of info about it on the net for a supposedly known issue.

This has just happened to me :mad:

How did you go about fixing in the end? Thanks