shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT

Ruan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI
Brilliant project you have here. It has the best attention to detail I have seen anywhere in the world.

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
^^^So close, but yet so far away still from having it on the road. At least a month 1/2 I'm guessing. I just got the single 5 gallon tank from BagRiders today on my front porch after I decided the dual 3gal weren't going to be to my liking. Just waiting now for a box of hardware from Checkered Flag VW and I'll be able to finish putting the rear suspension together early next week.

More candy red gets shot on Thursday. I'll let the pictures show whats being done in just a few days. I also discovered that the strap for the fuel tank was SS along with the exhaust retainers along the tunnel. They're polished now. I can't explain how, but I've become obsessed with the underside of my car.
I decided that I need to polish everything after DP on the exhaust because the header wrap is going to look a little "off" next to all the finished suspension components.

Today is a good day. Just had a text that the buyer for my tires is sending me cash. I can take that and get the right size tires for my LMs now. I've been held up over the last couple of months by cash, and the problem is starting to solve itself without me having to get a second job! :headbang:

Might as well include that I after more then two years I was able to get my 16v mk2 Scirocco project to run. She is at home now in my driveway slowly getting back to her full glory. After the GTi is done this spring my summer project is to straighten out the Rocco hopefully in time for a winter re-spray of TR!

Which one should I take out today... lol combined these two cars were about $1300. Roughly what one wrapped and finished LM cost me.

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
Brilliant project you have here. It has the best attention to detail I have seen anywhere in the world.

Thanks! I really gotta thank all the other dubbers out there for inspiring me to go further and further with this project. It's a community and the environment we are in is perfect for pushing each other to do more and more. I never would have imagined when I first started taking the car apart I'd go this far.

You have cut no corners and done everything you wanted the right way well done man

Cheers :thumbsup: I really wanted no regrets and a feeling of self satisfaction to top everything else I had done with my hands so far in my life. A car can be so much more then transportation!

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
I've started to put together the rear suspension. Don't mind the dust! Plenty of clean pics to come in the near future.

My second attempt at tire fitment went better today... sort of. One rear tire won't hold air. It leaks slowly. Install tech tried twice and I watched him check for surface cleanliness and lots of slime was used too but to no avail. I decided to take it home and pound on it a bit and give it time to bed hopefully. Other then some stop leak I'm not sure what else to do.

Last edited:

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
Tiny little things keep coming up... like the bolts for the knuckle to lca are too short. The stamped steel OEM uses is way thinner then what Dorbritz made his arms from and the nylock nut doesn't grab. The bolt for the Bagyard rears to the LCA isn't quite long enough either for the same reasons. No big deal... the GTi just wants more money! :wave:

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
Starting to figure out how much camber and how far out the flared arches will come. Front wheels look $$, but the rear needs spacers. Finished off a few other details as well as seen below. I go back and forth about keeping a few things under wraps... but what the heck here are the pics.

Last edited:

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
I'm still alive. Lots of odds and ends have come together. Lines, power and everything else needed to put the car on the ground is done.

Gotta say there is a car over on the east coast that is in Nothing Leaves Stock's shop and it's killing/inspiring me to go further sooner then I first anticipated.

Also had some weird happenings go on while Vag-coming my car. I had a laundry list of coding to do and was plugged in for about an hour when I noticed a burning smell. I found that my hatch lock was smoldering and obviously fubar. I killed my vag com session instantly and shut the car off. After unplugging the unit, restarting my vag com session I went to shut off my rear wiper when out of nowhere my front washers started to spray. They wouldn't stop until I pulled out the key. I ended my session again and turned the ignition on again. Washers sprayed. I unplugged the pump and went about my business again. The following week I went back and tried again. Washers seem fine and no error codes. Strange happenings to say the least.

I'm only a few days away from my warranty being up. Should I take in the hatch mech and tell them the deal? It stinks of burning plastic and shouldn't be an issue to determine if it's bad. I just wonder if because I have it out of the car and disconnected if they will honor my warranty.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Car(s)
2011 GTI CCTA
Pretty sure it has to be on the car, but you can call your service adviser ahead of time and tell him you saw it arching or smoldering, and removed it to save the car from burning down. Would like him to check the part out, or maybe replace it under warranty. If he says it has to be on the car that is warrantied, then you're SOL. Pretty sure that will be the case, as he's just giving away parts at that point.

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI

I just peed a little after seeing this... No really... It sucks, I'm in bed and need to go to sleep now that I read the entire thing. Fucking wet mattress.

Good effin work. I started reading this thread a looooooong time ago, and kind of forgot about it. Nice to see it almost done. :bow:

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
^^^ thanks bud! I love getting responses like that. Losing sleep thinking about dubs is okay, don't beat yourself up about it. Lol

I really feel detached from this car as far as it being a car that I get to drive soon. It's just been a ongoing challenge I have been trying to conquer little by little. Big dreams I guess.

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
Little things are still happening. I'll have my LED 3rd brake light installed soon too. Most of the work is labor beyond my skill set at this point. Every winter I say it will be done... but I promise this is the year! lol

Last edited: