GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mein Mädchen gibt dem bösen Blick

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
As I try to get this car buttoned up and running I found I have left quite a few loose ends unresolved. I still need a boost tap IM cap and to finish the last couple steps of running my W/M system. I need to do a bit of research on what nozzles people have been using for stg2 and get that decided on too. The car should be running soon though!

Because there isn't enough spray booth pics in this forum:

Cosmos Black with a uni base. Almost a BMP finish. Looks hella fresh in person.

Putting things together is way more fun. Scary stuff though... scratches seem all too easy once the piece has been painted.

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
That girl of your does have an evil look to it.

Great progress so far man. Who cares of approval ratings and what others have to say.
Thanks bud, as always I look forward to what you have in store for spring on your own ride. I love critics. This car was meant to stretch the limits!

Gotta say, just spent my entire lunch hour reading thru the whole thread. Speechless at how awesome this is going to turn out. I know I'm a little late to the game, but mos def sub'd. I applaud your attention to detail :thumbup:
Thanks! I have burned a few hours drooling over builds. I'm stoked you took the time to read my "journal" of sorts. It's been fun to share. You got in right at an exciting time.

The longer wait time just makes it more worth while, :thumbsup:
I'm going in twice a week now. I can put together my front suspension after I tie up the under bonnet work and start to run airlines by the end of the month! :happyanim:

You likey?

tomshouse516

tomtomtomotomtomtomtomtom
Car(s)
09 GT1
Love this, just read thought the whole thread.

Idk if I would trust those rear lca's the welds look like a monkey built them.

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
Love this, just read thought the whole thread.

Idk if I would trust those rear lca's the welds look like a monkey built them.

Thanks! It's always fun to share dub stories, I'm glad you enjoyed this one so far.

I was really disappointed with the LCAs as well. They will hold together, everything is overkill in thickness compared to stock. The symmetry was a little off and I can't help but wonder how janky the jig was that held this stuff together. I looked at the photos from the Dorbritz's page and the PC on the demo parts kinda hides it, but is still rough IMO.

I kept my stock ones just in case and tried to sculpt myself a decent looking set of custom arms.

tomshouse516

tomtomtomotomtomtomtomtom
Car(s)
09 GT1
Thanks! It's always fun to share dub stories, I'm glad you enjoyed this one so far.

I was really disappointed with the LCAs as well. They will hold together, everything is overkill in thickness compared to stock. The symmetry was a little off and I can't help but wonder how janky the jig was that held this stuff together. I looked at the photos from the Dorbritz's page and the PC on the demo parts kinda hides it, but is still rough IMO.

I kept my stock ones just in case and tried to sculpt myself a decent looking set of custom arms.

I modded my stock arms heavily, I am running a double bellow bolted straight to the bottom of my arms. Air fitting is on the top.

If I was home in the states I would whip up a better looking set to rear control arms for you.

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
The water meth system is nearly complete. I tapped into the the washer fluid tank and managed to get the pump nearly level with the lowest point of the reservoir. I need to run the last bit to the TB and it's done. I did a bit of research on nozzle size and I chose the 225 size which will go into the lower bung. :lol:

I have been excited to install the IM for a long time. It's been more then a year since I took it out and had a few empty spaces I didn't exactly know right away what went where... but it all started to flash back to me after a long hard staring contest that I eventually won. In the first picture below you can see the 42DD oil pressure relocation device that is tapped into the filter housing on the right hand side below the brown plugs. I had a few questions about it via PM and I thought I'd share here. I decided to use this bit when I discovered the dual boost/OP gauge from Podi had used a NPT thread pitch on their OP sender unit. I really wanted to run their duel pod set up so I decided that the best fix was to retain the OEM sender and use the Podi sender which was made possible by the 42DD unit. It acts as a splitter and adapter and it relocates your senders to a place you can better access the senders. I can't see any way to do this mod unless you remove your IM completely.

You can see the fuel injector plugs are in a rail type conduit with clips on them. When I removed the IM this rail stayed on the head. I was not able to figure out or reach the injector plugs while the IM was in place and was not able to clip the conduit back onto the rail because of this. I am able to wiggle my fingers into the crack and feel about a little bit to know that IMHO this won't cause any issues. I may have another go at it when I upgrade the fueling system in the future.

To attach the lower IM mount You need to have the TB assembly completely out and the top nut on the lower mount on the anti vibration end a bit loose so you can swing the lower bolt into place. I cut down a triple square bit to fit into into the tight spaces as seen in the picture below. Getting the oil dipstick out is crucial IMO and well worth the greasy struggle to pop out, but if you use a wobble head extension and a lot of patience you could do with out removing it. Having this bit of tools is essential to putting the TB back in as well.

While putting all the hardware on I used a trick that I thought I share. Tape + long tweezers = less dropped & lost hardware. I use a bit to help hold my bits in sockets too when I'm doing surgery type maneuvers to get pieces into place.

I have one more round of candy red for plastic and I have been staring down my bay to figure out what else to accent it with. I have a stress bar that will be going across the the top so I don't want to over do it, but I am looking for some other little bits to finish off maybe. I am thinking I could paint the top of my coil packs. Any other suggestions?

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
Powder coated the first batch of hardware and brackets:

Rear subframe is painted and installed.

The car started for the first time in two years. My duel Podi gauges both work and all the rest of my electrical work didn't burst into flames. :thumbsup:

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
Clean everything actually

Danke! I am to clean up the scene a bit with some over the top touches. If I ain't got the $$$ to make it shine, the work can be put in to make it stand out and be proper. I was stoked to see your car looking so sharp with the new shave. It's top in the UG in my book.

this^
j-caps would be a nice touch or just plastidip or paint the washer fluid cap and ect.

I've looked at the j-caps a few times wishing I would have bought them when I really had the tuning itch and was making more money. I've stopped wanting to dump cash into it ATM. I'm gonna paint them for now and then cap them next year when I pull the motor out (hopefully).