GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MB GLK 4Matic:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I've never been an SUV kind of guy, but this Mini Lux SUV seems to be sucking me in over the last couple of days. I really like the chiseled look on all the edges. Reviews seem solid, and the storage space inside is surprisingly well. I do wish that the fuel consumption was a little better. But pulling off 0-60's in 6.5 sec with this thing probably feels pretty good.

Thoughts? Anyone one else noticed these? Check out the photo section and look at the black and white ones. I think they look the best.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/vehiclesMenu/exploreOverview/?vmf=GLK350W4&vc=GLK&yr=2010

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
i definetely like that small SUV. Looks beefy, rides great, handles MB style, much better looking than the X3. Definetely a good choice. Given the weak small SUV market in States, I would wait 6-7 months and grab a CPO with low miles, unless MBoUSA is offering good rates, lease programs.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Hi Berk!:thumbsup:

I agree. I plan to talk to the guys at the auto show and see just how far I can go below invoice on picking up a new one. CPO might not be a bad way to go either. That is of course if I can contain the "I want one now" factor. For the record, it would be the Outback getting traded in, and not the GTI. I've been going back and forth between the MB we're talking about here, and an A4 Avant. The Avant has a lot of the things I'm looking for as well, except that it can't tow. Where as the MB has a tow rating of 3500lb. Which is pretty reasonable for a small SUV. Not to mention it has a pretty decent amount of cargo space and looks tough as all get up (in a Jeep way, only better).

argue53

Go Kart Champion
first time i saw the commercial i checked it out.. i def like it

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
kirk, we are looking at getting the GLK aswell. it was a tossup between the GLK / Q5 / A4 AVANT, but the A4 was too expensive, the monthly payments on the GLK are MUCH lower than the A4.

Going to be checking out the Q5 next week and then make a decision.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
^^^Nice. Sounds like you are narrowing a few of the same prospects down. I've pretty much ruled out the Q5 though, due to my liking the GLK styling so much more.

Silver-Bolt

Ready to race!
Where is it built? If it's an Alabama Benz run and hide. We bought a new ML500 built in Bama and it was the biggest rattle trap POS we have owned. After 6 months I dumped it and went back to BMW.

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
My wife test drove one on the weekend. It's a pretty nice SUV. It looks and feels like an over-built and over-engineered previous gen Subaru Forester. I love the exterior design. It was very well built and drove great but for the money I would buy a Outback 3.0R instead. The Subaru is just a much better overall package minus the badge.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
My wife test drove one on the weekend. It's a pretty nice SUV. It looks and feels like an over-built and over-engineered previous gen Subaru Forester. I love the exterior design. It was very well built and drove great but for the money I would buy a Outback 3.0R instead. The Subaru is just a much better overall package minus the badge.

Nope. No way I'm going to make that mistake again. Not sure if you own one. But if you do then you may know what I'm talking about. I own an 08 Outback now. Like I've said in the past...the Outback's arguably the most practical car you can buy. That's why I got one. But for as many things that I love about it, there's one thing I can't stand. And that's that they just didn't make it to fit a guy that's about 6'4" tall. My legs hit hard plastic no matter which way I adjust the tilt telescoping wheel and power chair. I've tried for 6 months now to find that "just right" spot but can't do it. Literally every time I drive my car I'm annoyed by the legroom and the fact that the seat is super low on the floor, and there's no where to put your legs. The passenger seat's even more ridiculous. And rear seat legroom is about as crammed as they come. The seating position in our GTI is 10 times better. Perhaps I'm just spoiled on German engineering and the things they do so much better. However, if someone were a shorter gentlemen, then I'm sure the Outback would be the perfect car. It's solid and as of late it has been passing up the Toyotas in some comparison reliability charts.

Here's a link to another forum I belong to that I started a thread on it about:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17460

And I agree with Berk. The Q5 falls short when compared to the GLK.

Last edited:

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
Nope. No way I'm going to make that mistake again. Not sure if you own one. But if you do then you may know what I'm talking about. I own an 08 Outback now. Like I've said in the past...the Outback's arguably the most practical car you can buy. That's why I got one. But for as many things that I love about it, there's one thing I can't stand. And that's that they just didn't make it to fit a guy that's about 6'4" tall. My legs hit hard plastic no matter which way I adjust the tilt telescoping wheel and power chair. I've tried for 6 months now to find that "just right" spot but can't do it. Literally every time I drive my car I'm annoyed by the legroom and the fact that the seat is super low on the floor, and there's no where to put your legs. The passenger seat's even more ridiculous. And rear seat legroom is about as crammed as they come. The seating position in our GTI is 10 times better. Perhaps I'm just spoiled on German engineering and the things they do so much better. However, if someone were a shorter gentlemen, then I'm sure the Outback would be the perfect car. It's solid and as of late it has been passing up the Toyotas in some comparison reliability charts.

Here's a link to another forum I belong to that I started a thread on it about:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17460

Sorry I should have said in my previous post but I was comparing the GLK to a 08 Outback 3.0R LLB. In terms of dynamics the 2.5i NA and 3.0R are completely different cars.

Now with that said, the comfort issue is of course completely personal and that is unfortunate. I'm 6'1" and 230lb and I have zero problems finding a comfortable seating position in the OB drivers seat. But it sounds like you have longer legs than me. I agree that the rear seat legroom is substandard and needs to be improved asap. And the Outback interior feels pretty narrow to me. But I've always been impressed by the amount of room upfront in the OB.

I don't believe that you are going to find too much more comfort in the GLK though. Take a look at the front legroom dimensions...

GLK FRONT/ OB FRONT:
Legroom = 41.4 44.1
Shoulder = 55.2 54.4
Headroom = 39.0 40.5

GLK REAR/ OB REAR:
Legroom = 35.1 33.9
Shoulder = 55.4 53.7
Headroom = 39.7 39.1

They are very similar in size. In "feel" when sat inside them...headroom is about the same for both, the GLK feels wider across, and the OB is much bigger up front and much smaller in the rear. Cargo in the OB is much bigger. And all these subjective sizings are confirmed by the actual manufacturer dimensions.

I guess the only thing to do is go drive one and report back with what you personally find. The GLK is a great crossover. I love it. I personally believe the Outback 3.0R is a much better overall vehicle especially if you spend a lot of time in inclement weather in the mountains, but that won't stop my wife from buying a GLK if she wants one. I'd still drive one very happily. I love the way it looks and the interior refinement is MB fine. The 7EAT is beautiful and it's just as safe as the Outback but feels far more solid.

Let us know what you think after the test drive.

Last edited:

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
kirk,

Take a look at the new Forester. That thing has plenty of room inside (it's huge) and is a much better driving machine than the previous generation. The 2.5XT would make a very nice replacement for the Outback if you want to stay with Subaru AWD performance and reliability. Plus it moves when you get on it! Just another option to throw out there.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Funny you should say that Raddicted. I actually went to the dealer and sat in and checked out the Forester XT today. I was much more comfortable in that thing than I am the Outback. Legroom dimensions don't tell the whole story as far as leg comfort goes. So those legroom numbers don't tell the whole story. The Forester has similar dimensions, but is much more spacious for my legs. The front leg area doesn't appear as narrow as that of the Outback, and my legs aren't bumping against hard plastic. Seems there's two differences that are making this happen. One is that the center console on the Forester is further out of the way and lower than that of the Outback. Perhaps more importantly is that the seating position in the Forester is higher. That in itself seems to make the biggest difference. The underside of my (long) legs actually feel like the seat is supporting them with the extra height, so then there's a further travel down to the floor. Versus there being a bunch of air under them as I sit on the chair of the Outback. The seat being higher, with my legs further from the floor, helps my legs to fit in there much better without needing the extra legroom. In the Outback you're sitting low on the floor. So my legs were straight out and my knees would straddle the steering wheel, or rub against the plastic. As far as you mentioning the difference between the 3.0 and the 2.5i...that really doesn't have anything to do with it for me. Like I was saying, the legroom's the problem. Although I'm sure the 3.0 is nice.

So yeah. Now I'm thinking about the new Forester (which as you probably know just won Sport Utility of the year-Motor Trend). I'd get the 2.5 XT that I checked out today. It's just as fast as the GLK, thanks to weighing about 500 lbs less. 0-60 is in 6.6 seconds with the auto transmission (only transmission available). Still wish it wasn't a 4 speed. But I'd get the Subaru reliability and the best AWD on the market. Also, the cargo space seems much larger than that of the GLK. I checked out the GLK today too. Looks good that's for sure. Love the fit and finish. Love it all. Then again the Forester has more cargo space than any other small Sport Utility out there. The gas mileage with the turbo is still respectable in the Forester too (19 and 24 mpg).

As a matter of fact, I actually hopped online to build one now with the features I'm interested in, so that I can see where I'm looking at being. Then I noticed your post.

Thanks for the feedback and input. Always nice to see someone else who appreciates Subaru as well. I just wish the exterior of the Forester looked half as nice as that of the GLK's...or the Outback for that matter.

*off to go build a Forester XT*

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Forester doesn't have that big grab handle on the interior door area that my leg fits into and rubs against. So I'm sure that helps. The door of the Forester is pretty flush there. Meh, you've got an Outback...you know what I mean.

Last edited: