GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Max rpms?

Jeppe

Drag Race Newbie
Does anybody know what how many rpms the engine takes stock?

As far as I can see, mine shifts about 6700-6800 when I put it in manual and don't shift myself. For some reason I always had the impression that it would go to 7000, but I guess I am wrong since I couldn't find any info about it anywhere.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
The DSG in S mode will change gears at 7100RPM. DSG in D tends to change at 6800 if you're putting your foot down and the manual mode will automatically upshift at around 6900-7000.

Jeppe

Drag Race Newbie
cmdrfire said:
The DSG in S mode will change gears at 7100RPM. DSG in D tends to change at 6800 if you're putting your foot down and the manual mode will automatically upshift at around 6900-7000.
Nice info - thanks guys :smile:

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
well... i dirve stick so um... yea... lets just say i stupidly somehow missed a shift at 100.... and revs flew :) um moving on. so is the gti a "suicidal engine" i remember my moms BMW 540i would drive it self a deacent way into the red before it would shift. But the infiniti isnt quite that "suicidal". The escaalde however the first time i felt it kick down was.. well... interesting.

cmdrfire

RJS5689 said:
well... i dirve stick so um... yea... lets just say i stupidly somehow missed a shift at 100.... and revs flew :) um moving on. so is the gti a "suicidal engine" i remember my moms BMW 540i would drive it self a deacent way into the red before it would shift. But the infiniti isnt quite that "suicidal". The escaalde however the first time i felt it kick down was.. well... interesting.

<German Accent>

Za German Engineering is conservative and overengineered, ja? Zis means that the redline is quite often marked well within tolerances... which in turn means that various German cars are quite happy to rev quite a bit into the red.
In ze theory, the GTI's redline is at 6800; but it's very happy to rev quite a way beyond that.

</German Accent>

Scionic

Autocross Newbie
The VWs I've driven seem to be happy to go well past redline. My old MkIII VR6's tach is marked redline at 6200rpm but chipped it will happily run all the way up to 7000 before fuel cutoff. Not that I'd want to run it up there very long anyway, the engine is screaming at 6200+.

cmdrfire

magblixt said:
Long time no see Cmdrfire! Nice to see you back.

Hey mag! Between computer malfunctioning and exams I've not had much time to be online... computer works again, and I'm working my way through the exams, so it's all back to normal :thumbsup: