GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mass Air Flow Sensor Problem with Intake

jn_mk5

Car(s)
2009 Volkswagen GTI
Hi everyone I am new to this thread. I have tried to look for my specific problem before posting, but could not find it. So here we go.

I have a 2009 GTI (MK5) with 3" Catless downpipe installed, and a 3" CTS Turbo intake, using my stock MAF sensor and housing with it. If I keep my MAF sensor plugged in, the car will start, then die. If you unplug the MAF, it runs perfectly fine, no issues. Obviously though, you run the risk of running too lean or too rich. I am not tuned.

Has anybody had the same problem? If so, what did you use to fix it?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the MAF sensor itself is not the problem since I swapped it for one that I knew was a working sensor. Same results, car would start but would not stay on.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
If you've swapped the MAF and issues persist it could be the wiring for the sensor's harness or potentially something else that plays into the ECUs calculations. Have you scanned the car for codes?

jn_mk5

Car(s)
2009 Volkswagen GTI
If you've swapped the MAF and issues persist it could be the wiring for the sensor's harness or potentially something else that plays into the ECUs calculations. Have you scanned the car for codes?
I have not yet. I have also replaced all these things without clearing codes as well. (intake, PCV, and catless downpipe all installed without code clearing)

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Fault codes first.
Then leaks is what I would thoroughly search for given you are certain the MAF is OK.
Then have a good auto electrician trace or back probe to see if the ECU is receiving the report from the sensor.
It may be the ECU itself if you do not find any leaks or damaged wiring.

Everything from where the MAF is mounted in the intake, to the air inlets in the head need checking for leaks....a thorough smoke testing of all the air inlet system including the brake booster and EVAP systems.