GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAPerformance downpipe loose again..

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. Shouldn't be a problem to exchange/return.

Gti jake - I got a free install with purchase of the AWE, so the 2.5" reducer is what they installed on the car. I didn't get anything else from the shop. Also the MAP dp comes with the end reduced to 2.5". I didn't realize that is an issue. I remembered reading it wasn't a problem while researching the dp.

I have a vibrant 17950 which I picked up after reading your exhaust thread. Can a muffler shop make me a 3" pipe and cut out the 2.5" sections?

I believe MAP offers a 3" midpipe.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. Shouldn't be a problem to exchange/return.

Gti jake - I got a free install with purchase of the AWE, so the 2.5" reducer is what they installed on the car. I didn't get anything else from the shop. Also the MAP dp comes with the end reduced to 2.5". I didn't realize that is an issue. I remembered reading it wasn't a problem while researching the dp.

I have a vibrant 17950 which I picked up after reading your exhaust thread. Can a muffler shop make me a 3" pipe and cut out the 2.5" sections?

That’s exactly what I’d suggest, while adding the 17950 get rid of the reducers and have them weld in 3” (just make sure it’s 304L Stainless to match the rest of the exhaust)

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
I believe MAP offers a 3" midpipe.

Interesting. I asked Ian before buying if the MAP dp would mate directly to the 3" line on the AWE. He told me the MAP would fit if my AWE was connected to stock dp. I must have misunderstood him that there wasn't a 3" option. I got a great price and will need a new section made to install my resonator anyway.

That’s exactly what I’d suggest, while adding the 17950 get rid of the reducers and have them weld in 3” (just make sure it’s 304L Stainless to match the rest of the exhaust)

Thanks Jake! All the knowledge you share on here is extremely helpful to weekend modders like me. I'll start calling around this week.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Interesting. I asked Ian before buying if the MAP dp would mate directly to the 3" line on the AWE. He told me the MAP would fit if my AWE was connected to stock dp. I must have misunderstood him that there wasn't a 3" option. I got a great price and will need a new section made to install my resonator anyway.

Thanks Jake! All the knowledge you share on here is extremely helpful to weekend modders like me. I'll start calling around this week.

No problem, glad I could help!

Here’s what I’d use if I were doing the install, good quality material and hard to beat their pricing as well https://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-by-Category/Tubing-stainless-mill-304-0300-065

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So I tackled this the other day. Loosened the clamp a LOT. Separated the pipes. Went to the back of the car. Pushed muffler forward and jamed piece of wood to keep it forward (this was mainly for the BMS tips to keep them tucked).

Slathered (used most of the tube) the muffler sealant over both pipes. Made sure none got inside either pipe (a little did so I wiped it out with my finger) and then slid the clamp back over the sections. Some sealant got caught and curled over clamp, that's fine got lots under it. Clamped it down. Front, back, front back, front back until SUPER snug...may have bent a bolt...didn't care. Smoothed sealant that got caught over front and back edges of clamp to make super seal.

It's held so far this week. Will let you know if it breaks loose.

Still holding.

GTI#2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
The 42 draft clamp has been holding strong for a week now. It's spring loaded, I needed vice grips to hold it open wide enough to slip over the pipes and you can wrench the hell out of it

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
Yea don't worry it doesn't mean the DP isn't good as it happens even with the more expensive DP and the clamps they supply. It happened with my Apr dp, ended up buying some butt joint clamps on Amazon and it's been fine ever since.

roystr

Ready to race!
So glad I found this thread! I'm pretty sure my CTS downpipe is leaking at the cat-to-stock exhaust joint because I re-used the OEM clamp and didn't go apeshit on the bolts for fear of breaking them. lol

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
So got a cat welded in and now that everything is snug and leak free I'm banging against the heat shield again. Took the bolt out and massaged the heat shield down and it's still rubbing. No idea what to do now it's driving me crazy. All I can think of is loosening the v-band clamp and pushing the downpipe closer to the firewall in hopes of lifting it further from the heat shield. Trying not to get any closer to the ABS cover. Opinions?

nsw

Passed Driver's Ed
So glad I found this thread! I'm pretty sure my CTS downpipe is leaking at the cat-to-stock exhaust joint because I re-used the OEM clamp and didn't go apeshit on the bolts for fear of breaking them. lol

Same here. I put mine on a week ago. Anybody have a link to the right new clamp for CTS midpipe to stock?

Sick of the fumage...

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
Reactions: nsw

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
I got the Espeeder clamp from Amazon and used it to connect the stock exhaust to the CTS DP's cat. I have the 2 pipes almost touching. If you look next to the 3 in the stamped number, you can see the small space between the 2 pipes.

I tightened with a ratchet, then a breaker bar, then a fit hits with my impact wrench. Was afraid to go any tighter because I was worried that I'd break the bolt or the clamp itself.

This is the clamp for the DP to cat connection. Not sure if it is tight enough? This metal is really thick, so it doesn't deform like the eSpeeder clamp.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What size clamp will I need to buy if I have a MAPerformance DP mated to my stock exhaust, my stock clamp is rattling real bad and it’s my second one

2.5"