GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAPerformance downpipe loose again..

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Yes sir! The thin stainless does a great job sealing and staying in place. I haven’t ran into any brand that was better or worse than another, just that design in general works great

Lol just cancelled the amazon order. Even better. Also wow that looks like it seals perfectly.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Got a leak in the same spot. From my understanding once you touch the OEM clamp, it's garbage. I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/SmartParts-120250-Joint-Aluminized-Exhaust/dp/B0043DSGX8/

Waiting until I get a cat welded on to do it up. Is the Permatex sealant required?

If you’re not in a rush send that one back and get Stainless like all the others posted. A dollar or two more for stainless over aluminized (coated regular steel) is money well spent.

I’ve been building exhaust for over a decade, never used any exhaust sealant.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Lol just cancelled the amazon order. Even better. Also wow that looks like it seals perfectly.

You beat me to it lol, yeah they work perfectly. The only better way is v band, but then you’re talking a whole different price range and totally not worth it for an existing exhaust.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
You beat me to it lol, yeah they work perfectly. The only better way is v band, but then you’re talking a whole different price range and totally not worth it for an existing exhaust.

I was about to have my buddy weld a v band stainless flange on there but... that's a little permanent. I'm thankful I got your response before that happened.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
If you’re not in a rush send that one back and get Stainless like all the others posted. A dollar or two more for stainless over aluminized (coated regular steel) is money well spent.

I’ve been building exhaust for over a decade, never used any exhaust sealant.

Already got it a week or two back. Looks like the stainless is $7 more here in Canada. Worth returning and getting the stainless?

B00STED1

Ready to race!
I have yet to come across it coming loose but I know there’s some space in between the stock exhaust and downpipe test pipe. I haven’t had the chance to adjust it but it honestly doesn’t bother me at all lol Of course I can hear it rattle slightly but there’s absolutely no exhaust smells at all, and I’m running catless too.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
I have yet to come across it coming loose but I know there’s some space in between the stock exhaust and downpipe test pipe. I haven’t had the chance to adjust it but it honestly doesn’t bother me at all lol Of course I can hear it rattle slightly but there’s absolutely no exhaust smells at all, and I’m running catless too.

Tighten it or throw one of the new clamps posted in this thread and I guarantee you'll instantly notice a difference haha. But if you don't care then I wouldn't even bother! It just drives me crazy

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Amazingly I managed to mess up one of the rusty bolts and on the OEM clamp and now I only have one bolt in there until I have time to sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Tighten it or throw one of the new clamps posted in this thread and I guarantee you'll instantly notice a difference haha. But if you don't care then I wouldn't even bother! It just drives me crazy

Agreed. Can definitely tell a tone difference with no sealant and not pushed forward vs sealed and the two pipes butted close to each other. It's quieter and I've noticed less cabin vibrations. Can't find any contact points so must have been resonance of some sort. It made me question my hybrid dogbone for awhile. Reverse was almost painful in my ears at times.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Amazingly I managed to mess up one of the rusty bolts and on the OEM clamp and now I only have one bolt in there until I have time to sort it out.

Cross threaded one of the bolts once. I just cut it out and put in a new bolt with nut. I also have an extra brand new oem clamp if you need it.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Cross threaded one of the bolts once. I just cut it out and put in a new bolt with nut. I also have an extra brand new oem clamp if you need it.

I’ll let you know if I’ll need it, thanks man