GOLFMKV

Manual vs. DSG

Rtarded

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 APR S2 DSG R
6mt = 100% more fun
DSG = 100% more faster.

its that simple really. DSG is seamlessly and consistently much much faster. I went DSG bc my track toy is manual, If i wanta get my shifting jollys off i just drive the track toy to work.
Honestly tho the DSG is special, it makes going really fast, really really easy.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, C63S AMG
Another data point.... with the DSG, you have traffic "stop and go" working with the active cruise control and lane assist. The DSG can handle supposedly 450 ft-lbs torque and the standard clutch is supposedly barely 300 ft-lbs. This, along with faster response, is what made me go DSG.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I've owned both. I enjoy the manual around town more. The 7 speed doesn't like to be driven at really low speeds (which I see a lot in downtown Chicago). My wife almost pulled through the wall in our garage trying to inch forward.

The dsg is more effortless to drive fast but once both cars are moving the difference is negligible. The biggest advantage the DSG has is launch control. It's just so much quicker out of the hole unless you're name is Allan Guzman. I was pretty much door to door with comparably modded dsg cars from a roll.

Rtarded

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 APR S2 DSG R
once both cars are moving the difference is negligible.
Scientifically If we had two identical cars the DSG would gain several feet per shift tho. even if you shift like lightning your losing ground per gear.
Also hey Im in Chicago as well! what's up

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Scientifically If we had two identical cars the DSG would gain several feet per shift tho. even if you shift like lightning your losing ground per gear.
Also hey Im in Chicago as well! what's up

What neighborhood? I'm in Lakeview.

the difference would be imperceptible driving on the street unless you're the kind of person that uses LC at red lights and stop signs. I probably did over a dozen actual half mile pulls against dsg cars with my manual. roll races were much closer than you'd think given how much the manuals get bashed. never lost by even a full car length. I made slightly less power than both cars in the videos below. don't have videos from some of the neck and neck races because my dashcam doesnt get the sides and i didn't have passengers. All that said, my DSG is significantly quicker in the 1/4 than my manual was with all of the same parts but with a much lower trap speed.

jb1 vs a um stage 2 car:

Would have taken him in the half mile once I upgraded to the jb4. was reeling him in in the 1/4 in this video.

jb4 vs an apr stage 2 car (turn your volume off):

just for fun 1/4 mile against the same apr car when launch control doesn't work.

Last edited:

Mr. Moe

Car(s)
Mk7.5 R
Like others have stated, dsg Jake's mods better and it's faster. If shifting is a big part of what you enjoy about driving, go 6mt.
One thing no one has mentioned is dsg farts. Some like it, some hate it. I just bought a 6mt and even though it's not as simple to mod as the dsg, I don't regret it.

signkutter

Ready to race!
If VW had designed a solid kit of clutch tranny with no crank-walk problems....the choice would be much harder....but this car seems to have been designed with the DSG in mind....the manual tranny is an afterthought and a weak link that must be addressed when making any power improvement to the car

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Oh he done did it.

ive owned 4 Golfs (in the following order): 1 manual MK6 GTI, 1 manual MK7 GTI, 1 DSG MK7 GTI, and now a Manual MK7.5 Alltrack. I LOVE the DSG when it’s not ~my~ car, if that makes any sense. I really enjoy how it shifts and all that, and think it’s a pretty neat / cool / stout transmission.

after having Owned a manual MK6 and a MK7, I got a DSG Mk7 because of the hassle-free aspect of not having to replace the clutch when adding power. I hated it the day I was driving my car home from the dealer (factory TCU on MK7s is worse than it was on the MK5/6 cars I had driven over the years like my mom’s CC and my gf’s TDI). I eventually got a Unitronic TCU tune to remedy my qualms with factory programming and I was wholly underwhelmed, and frankly I’m an idiot for not pursuing a refund

so I got another manual, and I love it lol. You’re either a manual person or you’re not. If you don’t have that underlying desire to row your own gears that “gear heads” like me have, then you will be very happy with the DSG. Especially if you’re looking at a MK7.5 with the 7-speed DQ381.