GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual vs. DSG

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
If you want an automatic, the DSG is a sweet one--definitely not a "slush-box." Plus, it can be made even sweeter with a DSG tune. That said, tuned or not, it's not quite as awesome as Porsche's PDK.

But if you get so much joy from rowing your own gears that any automatic just won't cut it for you, then go for the manual gearbox. Just know that the nice, soft, clutch that VW puts in the R can just handle the power that it makes stock, so if you plan on tuning it, or even just doing many hard launches, you'll need to upgrade the clutch, which also means that your left leg will be getting more of a workout whenever you drive.

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
I had driven a manual car for 12 yrs. before buying my dsg R as I was tired of the increasingly bad traffic around here. I was(and STILL) NOT dissapointed in my choice. I, myself, don't really miss it, especially my left foot.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
This is something that we can't decide for you. You must drive both and make your decision. It's like asking what color you should get. It's personal preference and there is no right answer.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This is what it looks like when the crank walks.