GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual intake valve cleaning

jad413

Ready to race!
Getting prepped to take the manifold off and scrape some valves for the first time. At 140k miles. Yeah, I know. It's not causing me problems but I want the lost potential back. I did a chemical cleaning the other day. So, what should I have handy as far as tools and supplies? I'm prepared to buy the injector tool since I've heard they tend to pop out with the manifold. Do I need to buy the install kit as well? Not intending to replace the injectors. Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
blue rubber injector seals, some sort of cleaning solvent (BG44k or Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner) to soak your valves, dental picks, wire brushes, shop vac.

jad413

Ready to race!
blue rubber injector seals, some sort of cleaning solvent (BG44k or Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner) to soak your valves, dental picks, wire brushes, shop vac.

Will I (actually my mechanic buddy and I) really need the puller/installer tool? What exactly does it do? I want to do this right because I don't want to do it again. I've seen a few threads where people claimed not to need it at all.

Sent from my iPhone

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Ive pulled my manifold over a dozen times and never replaced the teflon injector seal (red arrow), only the blue rubber seal (urple arrow).

If you are a perfectionist you could change it, but Ive never had any issues.
YMMV

Zach L

VR junkie
I've done this a dozen times as well. I don't even replace the blue seals. I only keep them on standby in case I lose one of the blue seals or if I rip/tear one of them. Have never had an issue.

I use B12 Chemtool as a solvent. Available pretty much everywhere. The "official" Audi tool was 35 small zip ties held together with a rubber band. I used this and it worked okay. Also use pipe cleaner type things and a pick set like the one below.

Next time I clean my valves I'd like to try the blasting method with the walnut shells.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
CRC makes a DI specific solvent that looks good.

Also the $8 long reach pick set from craftsman is worth its weight in gold IMHO.