GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Make sure to check your oil level frequently!

Duster117

Ready to race!
Just bought my first golf a '07 2.0FSI... glad I stumbled across this thread. Good to know that I need to be more prudent about checking my oil. All my previous cars burned next to none.

Yes. Also check your cam follower!!

whitegti08

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
i did and oil consumption at the dealer, Im burning almost almost a quart every 400 miles

the dealer says that I need to change my piston rings, any ideas how to check that for sure.

RUBIX909

Amber Oil Light

Morning all

my oil light came on for the first time two days ago.

I happened to be passing a garage, who topped it up for me, or so I thought, and they light was still on.

So I purchased some more oil, topped it up (I litre) and the amber oil light is still on!

Is this a problem? or do I just need to buy more oil???

Ive checked the dipstick and its on the 'max' indicator.

I put some newspaper down last night, and this morning I checked, and there were no leaks

do I just need more oil?

Cheers.

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
Just thought I'd chime in:
Picked up my FSI a few weeks ago, since then I've put on about 1200 miles (Yeah I know, above average but when you get a GTI for the first time you just wanna drive it!). I noticed the car sounded a little "dry" after 1200 miles so I checked the oil level cold and sure enough, it was halfway between so I put in some Castrol 5/40 Syntec and she runs fine now.

Seems to be a quart per 2000 miles based on that. So if your engine sounds more "dry and ticky" in the morning, check out the oil.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
I'm looking for input on this oil for use in my GTI/FSI

The first vehicle I've owned that call's for 5W 40 Euro-Grade full synthetic is my Lotus Elise. Now, this GTI. In the Elise, I use Pennzoil Ultra-Euro 5W 40 full synthetic because I can't get Shell Helix or Havoline Ultra-Euro in The USA. This Total Quartz has pretty much the same 'ZDDP" content (Zinc/Phosphorous) as the Pennzoil. After all, they are both high performance, high compression engines with two cams, 16 valves and high RPM redlines. The downside is because of the EPA, catalytic converters and puppy's and kittens everywhere, the ZDDP content of API SN oil is even less than SM oil (with the older SL rating having the most Zinc & Phosphorous anti-wear additive) . Castrol Edge etc. is less than either of these. See where I'm going with this? I've even heard of guy's using Mobil 1 turbo-diesel 5W 40 in their Lotus's with good results.
I met a young man at cars and coffee Saturday, a mechanic who has a 2007 GTI. He says that his engine has averaged a quart every 3K miles since he's owned the car and when it goes a quart low, he just changes it (having adding what was left from the 5 quart jug he used from his last change until he can dump it).
As a one week owner of a GTI I have yet to change the oil but in less than 150 miles it's due. I would appreciate the feedback. I'm really anal about this stuff and I LOVE this car!

Attachments

• Total_Quartz.jpg
    Total_Quartz.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 441

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
On calculating oil consumtion by reading the dipstick sections

Hi. I'm just getting started with this but I've learned that the narrow part of the block below "Max" on the dip stick represents five fluid ounces. So, when I'm down to the top of the wider, longer section (that represents two quarts?) that narrow section below "Max" is now dry and I know I can add four ounces to come back up to Max. I have also learned that I consume this much in 200 commuting miles. I reset the trip odometer every time I add the oil so I know when to check it again. This has been working for me. My FSI has 62K on it now. I know I'm nutz okay?

Last edited: