GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Make sure to check your oil level frequently!

JennMkV

Car(s)
2007 VW Gti
My 07 gti is eating through my oil. My mechanic also noted it takes more than 5 quarts when he changed the oil...has anyone else noticed this too?

MKVftw08

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Does anyone know if the PCV fix kits fix the oil eating issue?

MKVftw08

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Ook i've gone through 1.5-ish quarts in 4300 miles, but thats in hawaii with the sun and the humidity and the hills. just cruising on the freeway isnt really cruising. i was thinking of running a catchcan at least if/when i work up the motivation/money to get a new hpfp.

rarredoa

Passed Driver's Ed
Something's very wrong

I have added about three quarts of oil, (2) 0W-40 Mobile-1 and (1) Castrol Synthec 5W-40 over the past three weeks. My car's dipstick is indicating oil below the minimum. I checked the oil just now, about 5 hours after the car was driven. I live in Los Angeles and as you know it does not get too cold here.

This is what really puzzles me, the car had a timing-service about 3 months ago, had an engine flush, new oil & filter, and oil-separator-valve replacement. All the work has been performed by Empower, a garage that specializes in German and European cars.

Not a drop of oil has leaked onto the ground no indicator lights on the car's dashboard.

Any ideas?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
How many miles in those 3 weeks? I'd say check the front and rear PCV, but even when those were bad on my car, I was using ~1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. So, unless you've driven 3k miles, that is a LOT of oil being consumed.

Do you smell oil/see it coming through the exhaust? How many miles are on the car? Oil separator valve replacement? Maybe that's the issue.

rarredoa

Passed Driver's Ed
How many miles in those 3 weeks? I'd say check the front and rear PCV, but even when those were bad on my car, I was using ~1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. So, unless you've driven 3k miles, that is a LOT of oil being consumed.

Do you smell oil/see it coming through the exhaust? How many miles are on the car? Oil separator valve replacement? Maybe that's the issue.

About 1000 miles in those three weeks. Now, i recently changed oil at 88600 miles, new filter 5 qts. Of Royal Purple 0w40. Car is at 89100 now and is already at min. Level on dip stick. Oil separator valve was replaced about 3000 miles ago before I noticed low oil. No oil smell, leaks. However a cloud of black smoke blew out and the engine made a rattle noise with weak acceleration, shortly after the oil change. At first I thought I had used too much oil.

rarredoa

Passed Driver's Ed
About 1000 miles in those three weeks. Now, i recently changed oil at 88600 miles, new filter 5 qts. Of Royal Purple 0w40. Car is at 89100 now and is already at min. Level on dip stick. Oil separator valve was replaced about 3000 miles ago before I noticed low oil. No oil smell, leaks. However a cloud of black smoke blew out and the engine made a rattle noise with weak acceleration, shortly after the oil change. At first I thought I had used too much oil.

However I checked the oil right after I got home today... So the engine was still hot. When is the best time to read the dipstick?

rarredoa

Passed Driver's Ed

My PCV has never been replaced or even looked at. I keep reading on forums that a bad PCV can lead to excessive oil/gasoline consumption. I just need to figure out how to do this myself. It is supposed to be a piece-of-cake to change out.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I just noticed that you have an 09 which means it's the TSI 2.0T. I know the FSI has a PCV in the front by the HPFP and in the back; not entirely sure with TSI's though.

rarredoa

Passed Driver's Ed
I just noticed that you have an 09 which means it's the TSI 2.0T. I know the FSI has a PCV in the front by the HPFP and in the back; not entirely sure with TSI's though.

My understanding, from what I have read, is that the commonly referred PCV, is actually the oil separator valve, on my TSI. This part had been previously replaced with an OEM part on my car about 4 weeks ago. My mechanic acknowledged that the part he installed failed and replaced it free of charge; no questions asked! He even added the oil that was burned by the malfunction. According to him, VW has acknowledged that many of those oil separator valves were known to be faulty... FYI for anyone with the same problem.

Car runs like new again, even with almost 90K miles :biggrin:

Moral of the story is... Check your oil regularly!

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
My understanding, from what I have read, is that the commonly referred PCV, is actually the oil separator valve, on my TSI. This part had been previously replaced with an OEM part on my car about 4 weeks ago. My mechanic acknowledged that the part he installed failed and replaced it free of charge; no questions asked! He even added the oil that was burned by the malfunction. According to him, VW has acknowledged that many of those oil separator valves were known to be faulty... FYI for anyone with the same problem.

Car runs like new again, even with almost 90K miles :biggrin:

Moral of the story is... Check your oil regularly!

:thumbsup:

I thought I drove a lot... 116k on my 2006.

Skyjuice

Just bought my first golf a '07 2.0FSI... glad I stumbled across this thread. Good to know that I need to be more prudent about checking my oil. All my previous cars burned next to none.