GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Make sure to check your oil level frequently!

McGregors

Puncture Your Life
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI 6speed
so i have owned about 4 GTI's so far since i have had my license, i recently bought a 2007 MKV GTI six speed witch i love but i have had a huge issue with oil consumption, i only put castrol GTW 5w-40 synthetic in it. Keep in my i have no oil leak but i can drive about 400 to 500 mile with a full oil tank and it will use about a quart and a half, i know this isn't normal the dealership ran an oil consumption test and they basically have no idea they have never seen this happen before. so they are changing my piston rings hoping to fix the issue. I know 2.0T burn oil but im just curious if any one else had this issue and if any one thinks that this will actually fix my problem. Last resort im guessing is a whole engine replacement...

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
so i have owned about 4 GTI's so far since i have had my license, i recently bought a 2007 MKV GTI six speed witch i love but i have had a huge issue with oil consumption, i only put castrol GTW 5w-40 synthetic in it. Keep in my i have no oil leak but i can drive about 400 to 500 mile with a full oil tank and it will use about a quart and a half, i know this isn't normal the dealership ran an oil consumption test and they basically have no idea they have never seen this happen before. so they are changing my piston rings hoping to fix the issue. I know 2.0T burn oil but im just curious if any one else had this issue and if any one thinks that this will actually fix my problem. Last resort im guessing is a whole engine replacement...

Piston rings? The dealership has never seen a 2.0T consume oil? Hmmm. When my PCV was bad, my engine would go through about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Check that out before you have them change your piston rings. If you have had that done already, then I'm not sure. Check this link out too.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24952

McGregors

Puncture Your Life
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI 6speed
yeah it was already done and free under my warranty. My buddy said that it could be my turbo,but that makes no sense to me because my car runs perfect besides the oil level dropping so fast.

jweschow

what kind of oil

what type of oil should i use? i live in MA, so you know how it is here, it's 29 degrees right now, but it goes under 10 in the mornings sometimes and goes over 80 in the summer. thanks, any help appreciated!

Car(s)
GTI
Just thought I would share my story about this issue. I bought my MKV in September 10'. Late December I took it up to Whistler, B.C. I have only put 4K on it and am still 1K from needing an Oil Change. I was pulling off of the Highway for some petrol and I took the off ramp corner pretty hard. That Low Oil Pressure turn engine off immediately message came on. I coasted into the station and pulled the stick...dry FML. Lucky for me it still had oil in the pan. I threw a whole 2 quarts of oil in it. As the dealership said to. I had no idea that these things went through so much oil so quickly! I have learned my lesson that shit was scary. I thought my whole trip was ruined.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Just thought I would share my story about this issue. I bought my MKV in September 10'. Late December I took it up to Whistler, B.C. I have only put 4K on it and am still 1K from needing an Oil Change. I was pulling off of the Highway for some petrol and I took the off ramp corner pretty hard. That Low Oil Pressure turn engine off immediately message came on. I coasted into the station and pulled the stick...dry FML. Lucky for me it still had oil in the pan. I threw a whole 2 quarts of oil in it. As the dealership said to. I had no idea that these things went through so much oil so quickly! I have learned my lesson that shit was scary. I thought my whole trip was ruined.

Haha yeah I tend to check mine every 1000-1500 miles. Better safe than sorry.

DocOctavius

Um.....
Car(s)
'08 Rabbit 2dr auto
So am I the only one who hasn't ever had to add oil? 5k changes and semi-frequent checks and it's always just under max... and honey colored, not really brown at all. Magic engine or what? BTW I'm at 47000 miles now on an 08 2.5 Rabbit...

DirtGhost

Zooming in my GTI
Car(s)
2008 GTI
VW is so full of shit. I own a Toyota FJ that has never use a drop of oil. While the mkv uses it like it is water at times. VW has gone to shit in my book.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
VW is so full of shit. I own a Toyota FJ that has never use a drop of oil. While the mkv uses it like it is water at times. VW has gone to shit in my book.

Haha, welcome to forced induction. A lot of higher boost cars use oil. The ones that don't, consider it luck. TSI's have a much better PCV design which has much less blow-by. That equates to less or no oil used.

You're comparing an all motor Toyota V6 to a inline 4 turbo with known PCV issues. There is no comparison.

RICK_DIZZLE

Banned
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
Haha, welcome to forced induction. A lot of higher boost cars use oil. The ones that don't, consider it luck. TSI's have a much better PCV design which has much less blow-by. That equates to less or no oil used.

You're comparing an all motor Toyota V6 to a inline 4 turbo with known PCV issues. There is no comparison.

VW is slightly full of shit. No need to welcome me to the forced induction world, not my first. I have had a few TC cars to include the infamous Talon that ran 26-28LBS on a daily basis, sold it @ 215k ish non-built original motor. Not 1 drop of oil. TC B16, no oil loss. Supercharged lightning, no oil loss. The last car I remember that burned oil was my 1980 Mustang with a straight 6, due to bad rings lol

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I suppose that's true. Even my mom's Volvo V70 X/C uses no oil. Granted it only has 46k on it and it's a low pressure turbo setup, but my car was using oil after the break-in.