GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowered GTI vs road median = :(

bass45646

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 gti, 22 gti s
So, a couple nights ago I was hit an unmarked road median when I went to make a left into a turning lane at an intersection. There were 10 warning/hazard poles sticking out of the 3 inch high median, however 3 had been previously taken out by another vehicle(s), leaving only a 2inch high piece of metal sticking out of the concrete median (where the 4 ft. tall hazard pole use to be).

Needless to say, I did not even see the median, or the pole stub until a split second before impact. My car went over the median, with the pole stub ripping through the front splash guard, across the bottom of the transmission housing and back out through the driver side door, just behind the wheel well. Anyhow, I've included a pic of the transmission housing (pan?) damage, along with a damaged bolt. The transmission ran fine directly afterwards (no noise,hesitation), however it was leaking, so I had it towed to the dealership. My question is: can this part of the transmission be replaced (housing/pan), without replacing the whole transmission? If I have to replace the entire transmission my car will be essentially totaled..:(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 12.07.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 12.07.10 PM.png
    477.6 KB · Views: 878

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
I suggest you go to your nearest Walmart and buy some J-B Weld for $5, apply liberally, and avoid a)medians b)insurance premiums c)getting raped by the stealership.

shortwagen

Banned
Car(s)
Black Egg
I suggest you go to your nearest Walmart and buy some J-B Weld for $5, apply liberally, and avoid a)medians b)insurance premiums c)getting raped by the stealership.

some glue is not going to fix a leak. get it fixed right.:clap:

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
some glue is not going to fix a leak. get it fixed right.:clap:
1) JB Weld is not glue.
2) I used to fix a gash in my oil pan after my idiot friend tried to use it as a "good spot to Jack the car up from" and it never failed....

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Don't drive drunk and this won't happen. And how can this be serious? You had the car TOWED TO THE DEALER for this? You have a minor ding on the bottom of the motor / trans. Big deal. Epoxy it over.

bass45646

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 gti, 22 gti s
It was minor in that it appears to only have directly affected the housing/pan. However, it was leaking fluid. It was enough to completely soak an entire paper grocery bag overnight (I placed under the car to see the extent/rate of the leak. I had it towed as I did not want to run the risk of actually damaging the transmission itself, in the event that enough fluid leaked out to cause a failure.

Anyhow, to break the question down: Can the housing/pan be replaced without replacing the entire transmission?

Car(s)
Subaru
It was minor in that it appears to only have directly affected the housing/pan. However, it was leaking fluid. It was enough to completely soak an entire paper grocery bag overnight (I placed under the car to see the extent/rate of the leak. I had it towed as I did not want to run the risk of actually damaging the transmission itself, in the event that enough fluid leaked out to cause a failure.

Anyhow, to break the question down: Can the housing/pan be replaced without replacing the entire transmission?

nope. gonna have to pull it for all that. sucks man

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Figure out how to epoxy it and get ride of the car ASAP. Not worth paying $$$$ for the stealer to fix that stuff "the right way"

bass45646

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 gti, 22 gti s
So... I got the estimate. $7200 :( There is subframe damage and they would need to replace the transmission (dsg). The car is probably only worth a little over $8,000 at this point. Will find out what my insurance says tomorrow. They are apparently going to try to go after the city for not replacing the multiple warning/hazard poles taken out by a previous accident(s).

shortwagen

Banned
Car(s)
Black Egg
So... I got the estimate. $7200 :( There is subframe damage and they would need to replace the transmission (dsg). The car is probably only worth a little over $8,000 at this point. Will find out what my insurance says tomorrow. They are apparently going to try to go after the city for not replacing the multiple warning/hazard poles taken out by a previous accident(s).

by the time the city denies the accident you car will be worth 5ooo.

poles should break away clean if the design was good.

do a cheap fix. :cry:

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +

Did you get a police report? Because if you didn't the city isn't going to take your word that this was their fault. I'm telling you, you are wasting your time....shortwagen is right, that will take forever, and you'll MAYBE get a settlement amount, you definitely won't get the whole thing covered...ask me how I know...I've lived in VA for 14 years...

Any particular reason why you're against JB weld, or even epoxy?

michail77

Go Kart Champion
Did you get a police report? Because if you didn't the city isn't going to take your word that this was their fault. I'm telling you, you are wasting your time....shortwagen is right, that will take forever, and you'll MAYBE get a settlement amount, you definitely won't get the whole thing covered...ask me how I know...I've lived in VA for 14 years...

Any particular reason why you're against JB weld, or even epoxy?

The insurance company might go after the city to recoup but I'm not sure if that would prevent them from paying out the claim to the OP. But they'll probably total the car and we'll get a new part out in the classifieds.

Insurance companies sue all the time to cover claims. If someone gets hurt at your house their insurance company might try sue you to cover the claim.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
Car was lowered and no police report for the accident. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
It won't. Vehicle had altered suspension, and no one official reported on the event. Unfortunately lots of people do things like what happened to op on purpose, just to scam the state or their insurance....

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
That's not to say his insurance won't pay, but..

wait. nearly $8 on a car worth the same...?

See my post above.