Falut

vtak yo
Aww. This thread is cute.

This damage is nothing. JB weld it up and next time don't be an idiot

bass45646

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 gti, 22 gti s
Update: My insurance found another dsg transmission, rebuilt with about half the miles on it ( same make/model etc.). Apparently the company they bought it from offer a lifetime warranty. However, I'm sure that comes with a lot of " *." Anyhow it will be $3600 vs. $7200 (which includes a subframe part replacement, also salvaged). To answer multiple questions on the JB weld/epoxy: I'm sure it will work...in the short term. I'm not so confident it will last the lifetime of my car. I'd rather have the peace of mind, and better re-sale / trade-in value. Not to mention, potential metal bits/shavings that may have been since introduced into the housing (potential for future damage), along with the loss of a significant amount of transmission fluid.

As far as the insurance company going after the city goes, I'm sure that will ultimately go nowhere (for aforementioned reasons), but who knows. I'm sure this whole thing was caught on a dozen different cameras ( intersection,Kroger grocery store, wells fargo bank, gas station,etc.), none of which will be petitioned, none of which will have footage even stored that long.

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
I hit a manhole that was sticking out of the road 3" during construction. I called the city with no police report but I did have pictures. The city had the road contractor pay for my repairs.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
Update: My insurance found another dsg transmission, rebuilt with about half the miles on it ( same make/model etc.). Apparently the company they bought it from offer a lifetime warranty. However, I'm sure that comes with a lot of " *." Anyhow it will be $3600 vs. $7200 (which includes a subframe part replacement, also salvaged). To answer multiple questions on the JB weld/epoxy: I'm sure it will work...in the short term. I'm not so confident it will last the lifetime of my car. I'd rather have the peace of mind, and better re-sale / trade-in value. Not to mention, potential metal bits/shavings that may have been since introduced into the housing (potential for future damage), along with the loss of a significant amount of transmission fluid.

As far as the insurance company going after the city goes, I'm sure that will ultimately go nowhere (for aforementioned reasons), but who knows. I'm sure this whole thing was caught on a dozen different cameras ( intersection,Kroger grocery store, wells fargo bank, gas station,etc.), none of which will be petitioned, none of which will have footage even stored that long.
It's your car, but seriously....$3600 versus $6? You're going to dump half of the car's worth into it? There's someone selling a GTI with blown engine on here for four stacks....you should just buy that....JB Weld will last the lifetime of that car. The transmission will fail before the JB Weld does. Like I said previously, I had it on my oil pan, which is hot as Hades, and it lasted for over 40k miles, and is still going strong.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I'd be concerned about how that would affect my insurance premiums going forward. Say whatever you will about who's fault it is, insurance always wins, usually at the customers expense.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
I'd be concerned about how that would affect my insurance premiums going forward. Say whatever you will about who's fault it is, insurance always wins, usually at the customers expense.

This.... they will likely put a used tranny in the car. Dealer likely quoted you for a new one. Most policies allow for used parts. If they find one with the same miles or less it's putting you legally back where you were before the loss.

bass45646

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 gti, 22 gti s
Yep, I guess it could be considered silly by some, neurotic by others...My biggest concern would be the potential future damages resulting from any metal bits deposited into the transmission housing from the impact.I have never had an "at fault" accident before, insurance should not be too much of an issue. I like having a solid car, something reliable ( as reliable as a vw can be atleast), not something held together by glue. I've also spent approx. $3k in mods over the years... Would never get that back if I sold the car, or if it had been totaled.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Depends on your age and coverage. Some companies forgive the first loss. Some don't. This will be a chargable loss with most companies. Even with a used trans it will cost 3-4k. Hope they don't screw you with a giant increase.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Yep, I guess it could be considered silly by some, neurotic by others...My biggest concern would be the potential future damages resulting from any metal bits deposited into the transmission housing from the impact.I have never had an "at fault" accident before, insurance should not be too much of an issue. I like having a solid car, something reliable ( as reliable as a vw can be atleast), not something held together by glue. I've also spent approx. $3k in mods over the years... Would never get that back if I sold the car, or if it had been totaled.

Do you live your whole life paying unnecessary amounts of money to "prevent" things that you don't even understand in the first place? There will be no metal bits in your transmission housing that weren't there before. Epoxy will be as reliable as anything on the car if you check it once in a while. Do you even know what epoxy is, and how many critical parts on the car are made out of plastic? I know people like you in real life, who let fear overcome the better part of their rationality and they end up making some really dumb and preventable decisions as a result.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
It's not going to happen. Oh, and I put well over $10k in my GTI, and I still had an oil pan held together by JB Weld (NOT GLUE.) Clearly you don't understand what epoxy or JB Weld are.
Depends on your age and coverage. Some companies forgive the first loss. Some don't. This will be a chargable loss with most companies. Even with a used trans it will cost 3-4k. Hope they don't screw you with a giant increase.
Your rates will go up. You proved to them now that you're a liability.

Do you live your whole life paying unnecessary amounts of money to "prevent" things that you don't even understand in the first place? There will be no metal bits in your transmission housing that weren't there before. Epoxy will be as reliable as anything on the car if you check it once in a while. Do you even know what epoxy is, and how many critical parts on the car are made out of plastic? I know people like you in real life, who let fear overcome the better part of their rationality and they end up making some really dumb and preventable decisions as a result.

Literally took the words out of my mouth. If you're honestly that worried about metal shavings, do a trans flush. Again, $200, which is HELL of a lot cheaper than higher insurance and a $3-4000 cost....