GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud Ticking

titanblue40

Car(s)
MKV GTI (2.0t TSI)
A few weeks back my MKV GTI (2.0t TSI) lost oil due to some “excited driving.” There was a loud ticking noise coming from the top of the engine and went with the RPM’s. I proceeded to add 3ish quarts of oil and the ticking stopped for a while and started back up as i got it into the driveway. I took off the valve cover and everything was fine, i replaced the cam follower gasket (source of leak) and it holds oil with no issues. The ticking noise continues with no misfire or engine codes and i’m stuck at a dead end here. Whenever the engine is revved up the noise gets faster, skips a few ticks, and continues when the rpms drop again.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Have you checked the timing chain and tensioner? (chain stretch could lead to the chain hitting the cover)
That's a HUGE issue on the early TSI's
TONS of videos/posts about that

For example:

titanblue40

Car(s)
MKV GTI (2.0t TSI)
A few weeks back my MKV GTI (2.0t TSI) lost oil due to some “excited driving.” There was a loud ticking noise coming from the top of the engine and went with the RPM’s. I proceeded to add 3ish quarts of oil and the ticking stopped for a while and started back up as i got it into the driveway. I took off the valve cover and everything was fine, i replaced the cam follower gasket (source of leak) and it holds oil with no issues. The ticking noise continues with no misfire or engine codes and i’m stuck at a dead end here. Whenever the engine is revved up the noise gets faster, skips a few ticks, and continues when the rpms drop again.
I checked the tensioner through the viewing hole it’s got and it’s all in one piece, i don’t have any kind of scan tools or a way to get the pully off in order to get the lower timing cover off to get a better look. i’ll be ordering those soon.

Here’s videos of the noise: