GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lots of vibration at idle

nicholasn

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 2009 GTI 2.0T TSI. I've put a few hundred miles on it in my ownership, and while everything is physically running fine and I love driving it, there is quite a bit of vibration at idle, especially once everything is warmed up (it's not as bad when the engine is cold). There is also a lot of vibration when I'm slipping the clutch (such as when I back out of my driveway or a parking spot) regardless of engine temp. The vibration doesn't change whether I'm in neutral with my foot off the clutch or in gear with the clutch depressed, so I don't think it's transmission/clutch-related.

I've gotten absolutely avalanched with work over the past few weeks and haven't had time to dig through the forum very extensively, so I hope this isn't a duplicate thread, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or has any idea what it is.

Thanks,
Nicholas

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Usually is due to a leak in the vacuum or intake components...or the PCV and/or breather tube is failed. This is of course assuming all ignition bits and the throttle body are in great shape. You may consider doing a full scan...as not all error codes will provide a CEL but will be stored.

nicholasn

Usually is due to a leak in the vacuum or intake components...or the PCV and/or breather tube is failed. This is of course assuming all ignition bits and the throttle body are in great shape. You may consider doing a full scan...as not all error codes will provide a CEL but will be stored.
Good to know. I'll try to do a scan soon, I just haven't had the time.

nicholasn

Thought I'd update. I replaced the PCV valve, timing chains, and some other things not too long after I bought it, but none of those fixed the vibration.

In November, the clutch release bearing failed, which led to a clutch replacement. Ended up figuring out that the flywheel (stock dual-mass) had failed/seized, so I replaced it with a single mass unit from Black Forest Industries. That solved all of the vibration issues. There's a little bit of transmission chatter, which according to BFI is normal, but the engine now runs buttery smooth even with 205k miles on it.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Nice...thanks for coming back to update the thread....always helps when others search in the future.