GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for recommendations for SoCal shop - that can R&R motor and repair internal damage

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
As the title says I am looking for recommendations. My built motor ate a couple of spark plugs and need a competent shop that can take motor out, open it up and repair it. I am located in the Inland Empire area but ok with traveling 100 miles out. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
the shop I mentioned to you is 100% capable of doing the engine work for you and returning the car back to you in perfect condition. Unfortunately this is the only shop I would trust doing this kind of work.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
the shop I mentioned to you is 100% capable of doing the engine work for you and returning the car back to you in perfect condition. Unfortunately this is the only shop I would trust doing this kind of work.

Yeah I have contacted them and unfortunately like everyone I have spoke with they declined the work as this type of project just takes too much time or they don't have the storage to accommodate the project. I am gong to look farther out perhaps to LA, San Diego and I think there may be a shop in Temecula.

I guess if all else fails, I could buy the tools and do the work myself though I have not done it before there is so much available info that I would not be afraid to try it.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
@GIACUser, I can't speak for southern California but in New York City (where I'm from) and here in Tampa Bay FL., there are a number of engine builder shops that specialize in refurbishing engines to like new (or better) condition (like a crate motor) and swapping them into cars with blown engines. You get some credit for your core and instead of having your car laid up for an indeterminate period, your have it back in a week or so. This is the least painful alternative to your situation and it's guaranteed. Consider; time is money and the cost of DIY is sometimes not even worth it in the end. I've got to believe you have them there in So-Cal. JMHO.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
@GIACUser, I can't speak for southern California but in New York City (where I'm from) and here in Tampa Bay FL., there are a number of engine builder shops that specialize in refurbishing engines to like new (or better) condition (like a crate motor) and swapping them into cars with blown engines. You get some credit for your core and instead of having your car laid up for an indeterminate period, your have it back in a week or so. This is the least painful alternative to your situation and it's guaranteed. Consider; time is money and the cost of DIY is sometimes not even worth it in the end. I've got to believe you have them there in So-Cal. JMHO.

Yes, that is something I could do, I could simply buy a motor all done and built from IE but I already put the big bucks into the build and only ran it for a few hours and the car still runs so I think with some repair work and replacement of damaged parts I could be back in biz a lot cheaper. I am in no particular hurry as the car has only run for a few hours in the last 2 years. Instead of putting another 8-10 grand into a motor I would probably just part it out and take the money and move to a different car. Got a ton of mods on the car most of which are only a few hours old.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
You could try reaching out to Pure MotorSports in San Diego. They may do it or know someone who can

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
You could try reaching out to Pure MotorSports in San Diego. They may do it or know someone who can

I will give them a call. It is about 100mi away but you gotta go where you gotta go