GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for clutch recommendations for my stage 2+ Golf R!

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Another happy customer with South Bend stage 2 daily. It's only after I drive other manual cars that I realize how heavy it is. I'm no t a gym buff by any means, but it's hefty enough to let me know it's aftermarket. The EA113 is a very smooth engine, so even the two weeks before I got my fluidampr in was just more noisy than harsh. With the fluidampr, the clutch chatter is not an issue at all.

Al.gabriel

just chiming in, I have the DSM Twin disk clutch and it's amazing, I was looking for a clutch that could hold a high threshold of torque just so I have the breathing room(I'm ie stage 2+), I wanted it to grab better but I wanted all of the clutch benefits with little to no NVH added, I considered south bend and even drove someone who had one on their golf r, but I was at 80xxx miles and didnt want to gamble flywheel and so I went to the DKM and it met all my needs, it's been such a great clutch and it's so quiet!

97AutoXVette

Passed Driver's Ed
just chiming in, I have the DSM Twin disk clutch and it's amazing, I was looking for a clutch that could hold a high threshold of torque just so I have the breathing room(I'm ie stage 2+), I wanted it to grab better but I wanted all of the clutch benefits with little to no NVH added, I considered south bend and even drove someone who had one on their golf r, but I was at 80xxx miles and didnt want to gamble flywheel and so I went to the DKM and it met all my needs, it's been such a great clutch and it's so quiet!

Appreciate the info! Are you running a stock flywheel with it?

torga

Autocross Champion
Appreciate the info! Are you running a stock flywheel with it?
Not OP, but likely not. The SMFW that comes with the DKM twin disk is very specifically designed to accept the twin clutch pack.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I've posted in that thread. I have no idea how he looked at what happened and decided the thrust bearings are the cause of an engine failure in a highly modified car that was driven abusively, and that a clutch interlock bypass is the solution. It seems that between Jed and the guy who makes the bypass kits, there are about a dozen documented failures in the 15 years these engines have been in service.

It sucks that he got hit with a random expensive failure, but the sky is not falling.

Last edited:

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
I've posted in that thread. I have no idea how he looked at what happened and decided the thrust bearings are the cause of an engine failure in a highly modified car that was driven abusively, and that a clutch internet bypass is the solution. It seems that between Jed and the guy who makes the bypass kits, there are about a dozen documented failures in the 15 years these engines have been in service.

It sucks that he got hit with a random expensive failure, but the sky is not falling.
my only concern is this was a thing on 2g dsms as well. i'll take the precautions, my car is going to be tracked quite a bit

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
My understanding is that it was an actual problem on the 2G, not just one guy screaming anecdotal nonsense about it and refusing to give any proof to support his claims.

Engine builders like IE use stock thrust bearings in their built bottom ends, even though they saw fit to make custom main caps and use upgraded rod and main bearings. They have the capability to design and manufacture upgraded parts, but they feel comfortable using OEM VW thrust washers.

GolfR333

Ready to race!
I don’t think the sky is failing... lol I think jed from vwvortex is tripping on a good one and should stop drag racing his car with a fucked up clutch and other bolts issues ..lol