GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Left Lane Campers

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Funny, every state I've ever driven through, which is quite a few, has signs on Interstates that say slower traffic keep right. What additional education is needed? Literacy?

Last edited:

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
In addition to left lane campers, I'd also like to give a shout out to the folks that like to merge at around 50mph when the posted limit is 70, and traffic is going 80.
Gotta love the drivers that think it's easier to slow down to merge rather than speed up. I don't care what mods you've got, your car stops quicker than it accelerates.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
You don't expect people to pause their face time call long enough to look up and read signs, do you?
LOL, guess not. Cell phone use while driving is a whole other pet peeve. I have to agree with Diggs, thank goodness I'm still working from home! I have noticed I'm calmer when driving now that I don't have to commute. My teenage kids don't even give me a hard time about flipping people off any more...

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The people I know who drive like this say dumb stuff like they don't want to have to change lanes all the time.

Some people are just really lazy out there, they just drive however is convenient for them as if they're the only one on the road.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
Funny, every state I've ever driven through, which is quite a few, has signs on Interstates that say slower traffic keep right. What additional education is needed? Literacy?
They seem to think that it only applies to the stretch of road that has the signs. What we need to do is require people to re-test for their license every 5 years, and make that test even more difficult. You know, actually force them to learn the rules in order to obtain the privilege of driving.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
Gotta love the drivers that think it's easier to slow down to merge rather than speed up. I don't care what mods you've got, your car stops quicker than it accelerates.
People don't understand that in order to merge safely you need to match the speed of the cars in the lane they're merging into. Maybe I was just lucky and was taught how to drive by someone who actually cared, but stuff like this seems so obvious to me.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i kind of do want to bring up a weird point about the law though.

lets say people are driving in the left lane (or hell, even the right lane) and 70mph in a 70mph limit zone.

Wouldn't it be illegal to pass them either way? You need to break the speed limit to pass them.

What i'm saying is - and i am NOT defending them - if you are going 70mph, in the left lane, and the speed limit is 70mph, what is the problem? stopping you from breaking the law?

what's next, locking the door at the bank when the armed guy is trying to get in is a no-no?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

lets say people are driving in the left lane (or hell, even the right lane) and 70mph in a 70mph limit zone.

Wouldn't it be illegal to pass them either way? You need to break the speed limit to pass them.

What i'm saying is - and i am NOT defending them - if you are going 70mph, in the left lane, and the speed limit is 70mph, what is the problem? stopping you from breaking the law?

what's next, locking the door at the bank when the armed guy is trying to get in is a no-no?
Who deputized them to enforce the speed limit?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI

This can be a tricky question. In Colorado, the left lane passing law is only when the posted speed limit is 65mph or higher, and when the volume of traffic allows for passing. If you are driving 65mph in the right lane, catch up to someone moving slower, it is perfectly acceptable to speed up in order to make the pass efficiently (even if it is technically illegal), then move back to the right and resume a lawful speed. The tricky part is how fast is reasonable, and how far past the slower vehicle should you go before moving over. So, while speeding is illegal, the intention is to create space between cars, and get ahead of traffic.

There is almost always a difference between the law, and the intent of the law. If the intent and the law matched perfectly then there would be no need for lawyers and judges.

These are things that I meant with my previous comments about enforcement being difficult.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Yes it's illegal but everyone else is driving faster and the highway patrol lets it go. If the prevailing traffic is going faster and the left lane camper is inhibiting the flow of traffic they are supposed to get out of that lane.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL

The Georgia “Slow Poke” law addresses this. I pulled this up from an article on the interwebs:

Cpl. Billy Schwab at the Georgia State Patrol's Forsyth post breaks down the law.

"The left-hand lane on any roadway that has two or more lanes in a given direction, the left-hand lane is the fast lane. It's used for passing traffic and turning left. It goes a step further and states that if you are occupying the left-hand lane regardless of your speed and regardless of the speed limit, if a faster vehicle approaches you from the rear you have to move over and allow that faster vehicle to pass," said Schwab.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Nobody is really driving. They're on autopilot in their head. They can't think 1 car ahead of them let alone what they're doing to traffic.