GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking valve cover gasket

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Ever since my cam chain tensioner replacement / K04 install 5,000 miles ago I've had oil leaking down the back of the motor on the trans side. I first uninstalled/reinstalled the cam chain cover with another new gasket, then updated the vacuum pump to the new design that fixes the oil leak there.

Still had leaking in the same area.

I think I have narrowed it down to the VC gasket, specifically the rear driver side corner. The gasket on there is new since the K04 install, so I have pulled it and cleaned the area twice already and I am still finding motor oil back there where the VC bolts onto the head. The engine never leaked a drop until I did the chain tension and K04 swap. So I am going to the dealer later to pick up another new gasket.

Is there a trick to get this thing to seal? Should I be installing it dry or oiled?

Last edited:

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I would do it as dry as possible. that's just me tho

B6 Passat

Ready to race!
Make sure you are tightening the bolts in the proper sequence

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Resolution!

Thanks for the suggestions. This ended up being a case of cheap getting expensive. I was looking for a deal and bought the VC gasket at Advance Auto, thinking there couldn't be much of a difference from oem with a simple rubber-like gasket. Well, I picked up an oem gasket from the dealer, and it is quite different. The oem gasket is much more pliable while the brand-x gasket is firm.

After a few days of driving, all dry. So take it from me, avoid brand-x parts.

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
Resolution!

Thanks for the suggestions. This ended up being a case of cheap getting expensive. I was looking for a deal and bought the VC gasket at Advance Auto, thinking there couldn't be much of a difference from oem with a simple rubber-like gasket. Well, I picked up an oem gasket from the dealer, and it is quite different. The oem gasket is much more pliable while the brand-x gasket is firm.

After a few days of driving, all dry. So take it from me, avoid brand-x parts.

On gaskets, always go OEM