GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KO4

bwzimmerman

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, I myself was thinking for going BT... but there isnt software to support those kits yet (unless you got with an APR BT, not sure what type of turbo it is.. the $7000 price turned me off)

Heres a nice kit from ATP.. $3400 and comes with EVERYTHING needed to run it on stock software. (note: I said "stock" software.. most people are using REVO Stage 2 software.. but it is by no means designed for this BT.) You will need bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, and software to run the bigger injectors and fuel pump.

I personally decided to go with the K04, cause it can make 320 HP easily is OEM, and GIAC, APR and i think REVO are all making or have software for the S3 injectors and parts. I dont see any of those companys making a generic tune for all the diffrent BT kit possibilities. Only way i see it is if ATP makes an arrangement with them for there kit.

Anyway the ATP BT kit does run well, according to Phil@BSH. If your looking for more info ask Phil@BSH, they also sell a modified kit on their site. Phil accually runs the kit on his ride.. and he says he loves it. Last I heard, he is working on getting larger injectors (not S3) and a bigger fuel pump setup, and is working with a company to get software tuned for his modified ATP GT30R kit, which he sells on his site.

Link to BSH kit... http://www.bshspeedshop.com/store/product.php?productid=16794&cat=697&page=1

Anyway, like i said above.. i am rehashing all the info I learned from bugging the experts and those with personal experience. I have no real world knowledge (yet, until i get my own K04 or GT30 installed)

Hope my research helps someone, and saves the experts from answering the same questions...

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
man forget the k04... save some money and go with atp gt30r kit. its actually cheaper than the k04

Cheaper? Really? ATP off the shelf kit vs current K04 off the shelf kits, yes, but lets not forget that off the shelf the ATP kit doesnt work correctly and is not complete. For starters it doesn't even come with software! To get it to run correctly you'd need:

Off the shelf ATP kit: $3250
Needs Injectors: ($180?x4 s3 injectors)
Needs Fuel pump: ($350~$1000)
Needs Custom Software: ($500-$1000)
Needs a custom DV solution: ($250+)
Needs an upgraded IC: ($$$)
You're looking at $5000+ just to get the project on the right path.

The K04 kits include reliable oem parts that produce plenty of power with software that's currently available and will be from many more sources pretty soon. The every day commuting drivability is very stock in nature with quick spool times/low turbo lag. The long term maintenance is likely very less compared to the ATP kit given the OEM nature of the setup and the ability to fly under the radar to get warranty work performed is possible with the OEM appearance of the k04 kit's. With a stock detuned program im sure it could go unnoticed, especially if k04 audi's and vw's start hitting the states. In the end it's basically a turn key solution.

The ATP kit has the potential to make way more horsepower when properly setup but it requires the right tuning, components, install, testing, etc etc etc... If someone has the time and money to invest in such a route with the ultimate goal of creating a dyno or 1/4th mile queen, the ATP home brew kit may be the way to go, but I'd say it's far from an off the shelf turn key solution and from reports of pats ATP kits the reliability just isn't on the same level. You're basically on your own.

But like I said, if you have the time, money, and want to really dig into it on your own, ATP may be an interesting route to take...but I wouldn't say its cheaper.

bwzimmerman

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree the ATP is a great kit, but its not a turn-key solution. I was considering it but I wouldnt know the first thing about tuning it. For me a K04 system will work. I am savy enough to figure out how to make my own kit, but make sure its parts match up with existing and upcoming K04 software.

Its this simple IMO, If you want OEM look and "mild" upgrade to your Jetta/ GTI then IMO a K04 is the answer.

If you know what your doing, or have deep pockets and want max HP then get a GT30, or even a GT35 setup. The ATP kit IMO is a great start, and I almost went with it... but IMO most software companies (many have stated they dont want the mess that happened with the 1.8T setups) dont want to make a general one tune fits most tune for people homebrew setups. Its unreliable, the tuner may tune it for one size injectors or even brand when someone is using another.. then that person has engine troubles and blames the tuner company.

Anyway, thats my opinion. I rather go the route that makes 300 WHP, which is plenty for a daily driver with a lead foot (me). I dont plan on racing and I dont plan on drag racing.. (although a road track would be fun.)

SO thats why I am going with a K04 setup..

BoostedNick

I Need A Turbo Upgrade
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Even if the atp kit cost about $5000 or more to get you on the road it still has way way more potential for power compared to the k04

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Even if the atp kit cost about $5000 or more to get you on the road it still has way way more potential for power compared to the k04

No body has argued that. It's a larger turbo.

Personally I feel comparing the two is apples and oranges.

madvillian

Banned
For the people knocking it, the 1.8T K04 and 2.0T K04 aren't the same. Ours is a lot bigger. Also AWE's is supposed to be larger than any VAG OEM K04 ever. I haven't kept up with it though so I don't even know if they're selling them yet or whats up with it...

bwzimmerman

Passed Driver's Ed
AWE is using the S3 K04 with some polishing to make it flow better.. there is a thread by them explaining what they did. Its a GIAC tune for S3 injectors, S3 K04 and a HP Fuel pump.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Can't wait till they release it :happyanim:.

This type of kit is exactly what I was hoping for. A tuning solution for the infamous S3 ko4 and injectors pushing 300 WHP.

293whp & 313wtq on a mustang dyno(which is known as the most conservative dyno out there) with...

GIAC software
stock intake
k04 turbo that is a bit better then the S3 unit
AWETurbo back with 200 cell cat
new intercooler

Awe Tuning is predicting another 20whp & 20wtq with pump and injectors. Now also if he added an aftermarket intake add another 5-10whp.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3537058

I think if I go with any K04 kit which I most likely will it will deff be Awe tuning because APR's kit doesn't put out the same respectable numbers.

bwzimmerman

Passed Driver's Ed
293whp & 313wtq on a mustang dyno(which is known as the most conservative dyno out there) with...

GIAC software
stock intake
k04 turbo that is a bit better then the S3 unit
AWETurbo back with 200 cell cat
new intercooler

Awe Tuning is predicting another 20whp & 20wtq with pump and injectors. Now also if he added an aftermarket intake add another 5-10whp.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3537058

I think if I go with any K04 kit which I most likely will it will deff be Awe tuning because APR's kit doesn't put out the same respectable numbers.

is that with stock K03 injectors and fuel pump?